Author Topic: Hand scraper  (Read 24041 times)

Carpenter84

Hand scraper
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »
I'll kick off this forum section with the build of my hand scraper. Scraping is bench work afterall.

With me attempting to rebuild my lathe, it was prime time for me to finally learn how to scrape.
Ken was beyond generous to send me some scraper blades a couple weeks ago, I started building the handle for them tonight.
Used some stainless flat bar 3/16 x 1. The block turned out to be some kind of tool steel I had in a drawer, because when I brazed the pin in, I accidently hardened the block. Lol. Gonna be tricky to drill the countersink now... I'm copying an Anderson scraper handle style.

I put a pin in the setup to keep the clamp straight. Tomorrow I will get a countersink socket cap screw 1/4-28 and cut the chamfered countersink.

My co-workers in-law grandfather does wood turning. I may ask if he can fashion me a few handles, and maybe some file handles too.
Previously I was looking up Anderson scraper handles and by Anderson's chart, for my height, I need a 22" scraper. So, that's what I'll make. More than enough material here.
Shawn

4GSR

Re: Hand scraper
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
Looking Good Shawn!
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
Yea man.. looking good.
Now go make a nice handle and go practice.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
I've asked my workmate to ask his grandfather in-law. He does wood turning. I'm going to request a couple different handle types for the scraper and if he's willing a few file handles too.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:33:53 PM »
Go swipe the handle off your wife's good butcher knife and splice it on your scraper blade. ;D
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
Pffff. She don't cook. I do. And I'm not ruining all my good knives.
Shawn

woodchucker

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
Pffff. She don't cook. I do. And I'm not ruining all my good knives.
Damnit your a carpenter, go make a handle for that scraper and get to work.   A rasp will make quick work, so will a block plane.... just getter done.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

Carpenter84

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
As soon as someone invents more hours in the day... I will make my own handles.... No I won't, I'll just fill it with more work.... 🙄🙄🙄

It will depend on how long. If the old guy can pump out a few handles this weekend, fine. But if he's on old guy time and it's going to take 6 weeks, then forget it.
Shawn

f350ca

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »
"But if he's on old guy time and it's going to take 6 weeks, then forget it."
Careful Shawn, I resemble that remark,

Greg

Carpenter84

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:02 PM »
Lol. Well, some guys are on top of stuff cause they enjoy it and some guys just like to sit around... Like my step-dad. He likes to do do woodworking too, but forget asking him to do anything. You'll be waiting for 6 months. Lol.

Turns out this guy enjoys it and he's gonna do it quick.
Shawn

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
looking good Shawn!!! 👌

if you have a choice, make the handle broad so that you can put a pad on the rear of the handle.
you can put it against your body and really make metal fly when you put your hips into it.

the longer you make the scraper, the more sensitive it is.
i prefer longer scrapers myself, but you give up a little bit of the overall depth of scrape as a slight drawback
you'll never notice the difference by eye, but it can be measured (in ten thousandths of an inch)
8 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

Carpenter84

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 10:58:48 PM »
My workmates grandfather in law is making me two handles. Similar to the two pictured below. I'll make them interchangable. I remember reading that someone wished they could have a different handle for different steps.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »
Here's a picture of my modified Sandvic scraper. That is a disc pad holder about 4" OD.  This one came from Horror Freight, I bet your Princess Auto has them over in the body repair section of the store.  Just wish mine was about 3-4" longer.  Mine will do for now.  I'm retiring from this stuff once I get Bambam's saddle done for him. :(
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
Why?? Why retire this stuff?
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
Just saying.  My old body has a hard time dealing with doing this type of stuff.  Doctor did put me on a pill the other day that is helping.  I may need to move up to Canada so I can cash in on some of that good stuff yaw have up there now. ;D
Ken