Author Topic: Some boxes  (Read 9226 times)

DeadNutz

Some boxes
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
Here are a few of my boxes. The Kennedy stack is full of machinist tools. The Yorktown holds various end mills and cutters. The card file holds tooling for the mill and lathe.

Carpenter84

Re: Some boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:25:52 PM »
I had gotten my hands on a medical exam cart a few years ago and it's fantastic. But none of those plastic trays I can buy around here for in the drawers. Everyone has these wonderfully organized drawers with trays and my stuff just rolls around.
Shawn

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:26:51 PM »
Big photos.
Shawn

pep

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:07:12 AM »
DeadNuts,

Picture 1 is the draw bar and collets for the lathe or the mill?

Pep

gerritv

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:19:10 AM »
A friend of mine uses plastic concave moldings to keep the drills and end Mills under control. I will be trying that out myself soon.

DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
Pep, that is the collet closer for the lathe. It allows me to use 5C collets instead of the chucks. I also have a horizontal/vertical 5C collet holder for use on the mill.

gtermini

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
I had gotten my hands on a medical exam cart a few years ago and it's fantastic. But none of those plastic trays I can buy around here for in the drawers. Everyone has these wonderfully organized drawers with trays and my stuff just rolls around.

http://www.schallercorporation.com/ I buy from these guys. The 2" deep ones fit perfect in Lista/Vidmar cabinets as well as old school flat file cabinets.

Greyson

GNAP

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
Iíll try to get a good picture of the tool box collection

8 - bottom boxes
2 - top boxes
7 - side boxes
27 - intermediate boxes

For a total of 229 drawers, sadly all filled
jack

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »

http://www.schallercorporation.com/ I buy from these guys. The 2" deep ones fit perfect in Lista/Vidmar cabinets as well as old school flat file cabinets.

Greyson

Nice. I'll look into those further when I'm home.
Shawn

Uncle Buck

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »

Greyson

Holy cats,their prices are too bloody high for a home shop!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Carpenter84

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
I did think that too.... Didn't want to say anything.
Shawn

gtermini

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »
I haven't found a solution that fits as nicely as them though. They work out to $10-$15 per square foot of drawer depending on the sizes. I use exclusively 3x3, 3x6, and 6x6 so they can be swapped in a second to larger or smaller compartments.

Greyson

DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
Those are pricey but a nice system. The long yellow boxes I got for free. I was at a customer and they had a pile of these boxes in cardboard boxes lying in the yard. He said the manufacturer had screwed up on the plastic composition and they were cracking in a front corner. He said take all you want as we are throwing them away. I took about 4 big boxes of the 2 sizes and gave a bunch to people. They work good in a drawer and OK on a shelf as long as you don't grab them by the front panel.

I bought some of the bins from Enco and others I got at auctions or garage sales when I bought what was in the bins. The worst thing for tooling is be rolling around in a big drawer loose and banging around.

gtermini

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
The worst thing for tooling is be rolling around in a big drawer loose and banging around.

This is a big thing. I won't tolerate $125 endmills bouncing off each other in the drawer. At a buck each, the boxes pay if they save one tool from damage.

At work they save enough time to pay for themselves as well, just in saved time from being able to grab the correct length hardware without much thought or searching. What's the point of stocking $5k in hardware if it's not sorted in a usable fashion?

Greyson

Uncle Buck

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »
The worst thing for tooling is be rolling around in a big drawer loose and banging around.

This is a big thing. I won't tolerate $125 endmills bouncing off each other in the drawer. At a buck each, the boxes pay if they save one tool from damage.

At work they save enough time to pay for themselves as well, just in saved time from being able to grab the correct length hardware without much thought or searching. What's the point of stocking $5k in hardware if it's not sorted in a usable fashion?

Greyson

For a profit making enterprise, even one out of a home shop the cost is easily justified. Just different for a bozo like me that simply dinks around out in the shop. I do not know if still available, but Rubbermaid used to sell plastic trays that varied in width and length, were 3" or less in height, and interlocked with a lip along the side rail cheap. I have not looked for them for years but they were not bad for drawers for a home shop guy on a budget.

They still make them. This is what they are. https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Drawer-Organizer-2-Inch-FG2915RDWHT/dp/B000W2KG82
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:35:51 AM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!