Author Topic: Reamer and Drill Storage  (Read 4745 times)

Uglydog

Reamer and Drill Storage
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »
One of my many goals this winter (in addition to ice fishing) is to sort and organize many 100s of pounds misc drills, reamers and files. Based on the current "pile system" i need to sort through them all in order to find the one I need. It's not good for the cutting edges and is inefficient at best...

Likely most of you have a better operating plan. Curious if anyone might be willing to share their plan. As always both floor and wall space are limited. I've considered an antigravitational device to keep them suspended in mid air as there is alot of room at ceiling height which is underutilized. However, a ladder gets more difficult every day. And I've had difficulty engineering the switches to raise and lower them via skyhooks.

All suggestions are welcome.
I'm running short on ideas....

Daryl

4GSR

Re: Reamer and Drill Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 04:33:59 PM »
I have a couple of drill stands set up for my "go to" reamers, all the rest get the cutting edges wrapped with HF electrical tape to prevent damaged.  Thos I can't read the size on, I either mark the shank with a Sharpie the size, smaller ones, I fold over a piece of tape on the shank and write the size on it.

All my drill bits are kept in drill stands, indexes, and all the extras, I have lots of extras!, are kept in one of those plastic drawer units that have about 72 drawers in it.  Anything over 1/2" S & D shank drills, most are on a wooden block I made years ago, everything else, I have a drawer in a roll a way cabinet that house them all the way up to 1-5/8".

I can take and post pictures if anyone is interested.

Uglydog

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »
...are kept in one of those plastic drawer units that have about 72 drawers in it. ...I can take and post pictures if anyone is interested.

I'm interested in what the plastic drawer units look like.
I've also got an array of MT drills from MT1-MT4 and files.
None of these were new when they got here. But they aren't well cared for in my current system.
Counter space for drill stands is scarce. But I gotta do something.

Trying to talk my bride into sorting them for me. Well... only the drills, reamers and misc nuts, bolts and screws....

Daryl
MN

Uglydog

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 03:56:36 AM »
I like the sizing!!

Daryl
MN

Bill Gruby

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 06:47:28 AM »
 Ken; I would use those for drill storage but not for reamers. Drill flutes can thke the punishment of being stored together., reamers cannot. They need to be seperated or you will end up with a bunch of dull reamers. Just another opinion.

"Billy G"
I'm pretty sure that my last words will be, OH SHIT,THAT DIDN'T WORK.

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »
Agree.  I don't store any reamers in these.  Much as I hate to say, most of my reamers are just stored in a drawer in my roll-a-away cabinet.  I do wrap the flutes in black electrical tape to protect the edges.  So far it has worked for me.  Someday I'll put together better storage for my reamers.  As I said above, my "go to" reamers are stored on a stand.
Ken

PJB

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 01:36:04 PM »
Daryl I had a similar desire last year to organize my drills scattered everywhere and to a lesser extent reamers.  For whatever reason i donít have  many reamers to worry about except a few sets in cloth pouches.   Ended up with a Hout master cabinet with fractional number and letter drawers.  The bottom is open and where I stash the reamers and misc. 
All I can say is itís been great.  So nice to be able to walk up and pull a drawer and boom grab the one needed.   
Highly recommend.   Tad pricey but like most things tooling worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 05:03:05 AM »
I really like how nicely the Gerstner box fits on top of the Huot box.

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

34_40

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 07:07:47 AM »
I agree with Terry, that makes for a sweet setup!  Is there a part number for that Huot box?
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

PJB

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
Hereís a pic of the model#

Gotta say I tried acquiring one for quite some time via local auctions.  Problem is it seems EVERYONE Jonesís for them and drive the prices crazy even higher than new due to being filled with drills albeit used in most cases.   Plus they were usually beat up and grimy.   Finally said heck with it and went new route.   
The separate, stacking type are a less expensive option (can get all 3 for like $175) but the construction is not as nice as the ďmasterĒ series boxes.   The slides are BB type vs metal on metal.    But really itís just a drill holder so ya. 

If you look thru their catalog youíll see all kinds of variations and combinations.   I poured over the catalog trying to figure out the one to go with and the 13175 seemed to cover what I needed.  Ymmv of course.    Good luck and let us know if you get something and what you go with.   

1972 Harig Super 612

PJB

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »
A DIY option I considered was using plastic divided fishing tackle boxes with lids removed stacked in a plywood box frame. 
The local box store had them for like $6-7 each. 

1972 Harig Super 612

34_40

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the pic & number.   I've been one of those guys Jone'sin for one of these and have watched the prices just go nuts.  But I haven't seen the one you picked out.  I think I just found my Xmas present to myself! LOL..  Thanks Again.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

PJB

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »
O.  M.  G. !

I just looked at the current pricing various place online.   Whatís happening with the economy lately is inexcusable.   I better shut up before a @$litical discussion ensues. 
Had to go back and look what I paid. 

1972 Harig Super 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
What's the price now?
Shawn