Author Topic: This place is quiet.  (Read 902 times)

34_40

This place is quiet.
« on: November 05, 2023, 06:15:54 PM »
I guess we are all out and about - keeping busy.   I still stop in to see what's going on. but it has been very quiet as of late.   for myself,  we have finished the cranberry harvest, I don't play much of a role anymore but I still participate when/where I can.   I've been working to clear out the Cub Cadet "stuff".. but it hasn't really moved.  I had the model 73 Cub breakdown. A bearing in the Aux'y. trans failed  and between ordering the parts and waiting for them to arrive, weeks went by.  But it's all together now and I used it yesterday to mow the hay field around my house. LOL..  Over the last couple of weeks the Crosstrek began "puffing" blue smoke out the tail pipe.  SO rather than wait for it to get worse, we dumped it back on the dealer and came home with a Forester.   I was hand picking some cranberries today,  and this guy was watching.. kinda eery, after clearing out an area, I'd move over and it wasn't long that he'd follow along.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Carpenter84

Re: This place is quiet.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 07:53:18 PM »
Ya, been beyond busy. Moved shop to my partner's industrial unit - cleared out my old barn shop. Bitter sweet but short lived. I'm *much* more comfortable in a proper industrial setting. It's still a complete disaster, haven't unpacked anything. Had to basically drop machines, run wires, and get right to work. We had a large fabrication/machining order that I wound up late on.
Hopefully there's time this week to settle in a bit.

Here are a few photos of the shop still very unorganized, but most of my stuff is there. A shot of *half* the weldments I did before final machining.
And the truck with all my stuff on it - was a very stressful two days....

It's gonna take me some time to get the shop space up to my needs and specifications (Andrey doesn't care what I do to his shop) but I'm already happier. It's a far more functional space.
It's 30'-40', high ceilings, with an office and bathroom.

34_40

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 08:17:50 PM »
Nice to hear that things are working out for you.  Shame that you put so much work into the other building - but this sounds like it is gonna be better. 
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 09:02:49 PM »
Nah, all the work I did to the other shops was time well spent. And it's not gone - it's still my shop. And we will likely use it in the future. Current desire amongst the crowd is a wire EDM machine. It'll plop right where my CNC lathe was.

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 01:25:06 PM »
Look like you gain a VMC in the move. :)
You'll get it in shape soon.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »
Two, technically. Altho, I am not familiar with the condition of the one on the left. I have never seen it run. It was his only machine for a while, but it's currently sitting in a dire need of a good cleaning and derusting.

We have a young lad that comes in 2 days a week. He's in college for something construction related (at his family's request), but he tells me he's more interested in machining. He knows nilch, but learning quickly. He has been working the vertical bandsaw quite well and is able to change parts on the CNC lathe. My goal is to get him up to speed on swapping parts on all the CNC machines while I continue to learn them. MasterCam is the program of choice in the shop, so I need to learn that too. Currently the programs are written for me on the VMC and I still use Fusion on the lathe.
I certainly hope the kid sticks around... I've trained literally hundreds of people in a past life, it really sucks when you pour yourself into someone and they dick off... Doesn't much matter when you yourself are just a cog, this time around is a bit different. I really need someone to pull their weight, learn, and be able to perform in all aspects of the shop, on every machine. Not expecting pro quantity work out of the gate, but it sure would help!!
At some point I'd like to see *just* a 40 hour work week....

savarin

The most dangerous creature in Australia is hunting humans
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 06:25:34 PM »
Its that time of the year again where Australia's most dangerous creatures actively hunt humans.
 Its so bad councils place warning signs such as these.
They are lethal and can cause deaths.
 But I like going against accepted wisdom and make friends with them.
This is dad with 2 kids.
 It appears they have an approximate memory of 4 - 5 years.
 We left this house 2 years ago but every time we visit the magpies warble away and still fly down to greet us. (beg for food)
I made friends with a pair about 7 years ago. At first I just had to flip the minced beef for them to eat, eventually the pair started to take the food from my hand.
 After a while they would sit on our balcony and sing for food.
 It took quite a while before they would sit on me to eat but once that hurdle was passed they would fly out of the tree to my arm or shoulder whenever I raised it and called them. It was a great feeling.
 The turning point was when they bought their young and introduced them then a year later those kids bought their kids.
 So far its been about 4 generations turning up which is amazing because as the young reach adulthood they are usually turfed out to find their own territory.
 Its a shame that in our new house we have been unable so far to befriend any.

4GSR

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 08:36:38 AM »
Curtis over on CEE Australia has a few of them that hang out in his shop.  They don't seem to bother anyone, seem quite entertaining at times.

Jake Parker

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 04:20:18 PM »
Iv been so busy, I'm expecting to pass myself at any minute. It seems Im the only guy in 6 counties that does the "odd-ball" stuff. I have other shops sending me work.

RayH

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 04:25:26 PM »
Iv been so busy, I'm expecting to pass myself at any minute. It seems Im the only guy in 6 counties that does the "odd-ball" stuff. I have other shops sending me work.

Job Security!  You must be doing it well and low cost. Raise your prices a little, until the workload becomes manageable. Wearing yourself to a nub can be very expensive.
Ray

Jake Parker

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 04:29:55 PM »
I raised prices on the 1st of this month.

4GSR

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 08:54:10 PM »
Jake,

I'll be up in the Tyler area next week. I doubt I'll have time to come visit.  It's going to be a rush trip.

Ken
Ken

Jake Parker

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 09:05:54 PM »
Im sorry. Tyler is only 25 minutes away, but I avoid it at all cost. Too many stupid people!

4GSR

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 07:09:04 AM »
Im sorry. Tyler is only 25 minutes away, but I avoid it at all cost. Too many stupid people!

I have no choice next week!

Thanks for the "heads up".
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 07:11:15 AM by 4GSR »
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2023, 07:34:18 AM »

Jake,

You were not kidding!  What a nightmare!  Traffic is horrible!  Glad I'm heading out this morning.  I ran across a Army-Navey surplus store, gun shop, too!, down the street from where I'm staying.  Its on my way out, I have to stop.
Ken