Author Topic: Grob Vertical Bandsaw NS-18  (Read 455 times)

4GSR

Grob Vertical Bandsaw NS-18
« on: June 15, 2021, 07:10:51 PM »
A while back, I purchased a new to me Grob vertical bandsaw.  It's a 1940's vintage saw that is in halfway decent shape.  It was running when taken out of service.  Came out of Chicago and ended up in Brownsville, Texas! The people I bought it from deal in used machinery, they buy at auctions and private sales in the rust belt and ship it down to Brownsville.  From there, most of the stuff is sold to shops down in Mexico and south into Central America.  The equipment that doesn't sell quickly shows up on eBay and Craigs List.  I found this one listed on eBay under their listing and offered a counteroffer and bought it.  Took me almost two months to get down there and pick it up.  Here's a few pictures to share.

4GSR

Re: Grob Vertical Bandsaw NS-18
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 07:28:36 PM »
I've brought the saw home, have it sitting on the driveway.  Pretty much stripped the saw down of the electrical stuff and saw shavings.  What a mess, almost 80 years' worth of accumulation of crap!  Washed the saw down with purple power and water.  Have applied a coat of Saturday night paint job to part of the saw.

RayH

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:04 PM »
Nice piece.

Are the weights part of the saw (material feed system?)?
Ray

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 10:10:40 PM »
Ray,

The weights and the stuff that make up the mechanical feed system is mostly there. The chain that hooks up to the slide piece is there, but the slide piece which has a row of holes spaced out on it is missing.  M.I.A.  I'll have to make another one if I wish to use it.  The circle cutter fixture is there as well as the pieces for holding and feeding the parts into the blade are there.  I'm in the process of cleaning that stuff up, about 50% done.

I haven't touched the blade welder yet, I'm sure it works, just needs cleaning and a little restoration work.  The air pump that blows air onto the blade to clear shavings is froze up.  Don't look like it has run in years.  I might mess with it later and may not. There's a whole bunch of blade guides, hard for me to tell if they are good or not.

kvt85

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 07:02:28 PM »
it is definitely lookin better than it did when you picked it up.   

Ken
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »
Been a while since I posted anything on my progress on the saw.

The saw is cleaned up and has a 'Saturday night paint job" using Rustoleum Smoke Gray spray paint.  My son and I mounted a set of heavy-duty casters on the saw so it is mobile.  I can move it around in the garage, or if I must, push it outside of the garage when needed.  I have all the parts cleaned up except for the tabletop.  That'll be next after I get some electrical hooked up on the saw.  Bought new tires for the bandsaw wheels.  Going with urethane tires instead of rubber one's that came out.   on the saw, which are almost dry rotted.  Have to figure out a method of installing the tires, they have a quite a bit of stretch to get them onto the wheels.

Last picture is a tree frog that came along for the ride in the garage. Haven't seen it since taking the picture.  I hope the cat didn't get it!!!

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 04:42:00 PM »
Most of the electrics are installed.  I have enough done to power up the bandsaw and make sure the jack shafts are okay.

They said the tires will fit the wheels, yeah, right.  Four hands, five screwdrivers, bunch of c-clamps, and a couple of vise-grips and heat gun, one wheel is done.  Resting and letting the garage cool off before starting the top one.

PJB

Grob Vertical Bandsaw NS-18
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 08:39:52 PM »
Bye
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:32:19 AM by PJB »
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

4GSR

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
Didn't realize I haven't posted a update in a month!

I since built two roller blade guides and added a air pump to the saw to replace the froze up factory pump.  And also got the other tire mounted.  It went on much easier than the first one.

Yesterday, the table was mounted and cleaned up a bit.

Today, I made the first cuts on the saw.  All I must do now is makes a couple of mounts for the air hoses to blow the chips off the work.  Have a blade guard that must be modified because of the new rollers.  Last thing will be restoring the blade welder.  I'm saving it for a "winter project"!

I know I left out a lot here, I'm just not much on detail reporting on this stuff.  I just like to get into it and get the job done.  IF you have any questions, please post and I'll try to answer them.

Enjoy!

Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 10:36:28 PM »
Love that safety plaque
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

4GSR

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »
Love that safety plaque

From you buddy up there to the west of you.... AVE
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
Ahhh okay.

He actually looked like he came to a pretty close brush with the BC fires.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

4GSR

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »
Yeah, it look like it with his video he posted last week.
Ken

kvt85

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
Did you get the auto feed on the thing working.   
I bet the rollers work a lot better a guides, it should make great cuts.   
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

4GSR

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 07:00:02 PM »
Yeah, those rollers let it cut straight. Boy does it cut nice!  I've only tried cutting on some 1/4" thick stock.  Working on the feed attachment is next.  I've located new chain to replace the old with.  Just waiting on payday.  Got to figure out the slide that the chain attaches to.  I think I have it down what to do, just have to give it a try.