Author Topic: WANTED WANTED WANTED  (Read 719 times)

chips and more

Re: WANTED WANTED WANTED
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 09:32:03 PM »
I got a second chance price from the seller. Problem is it's a plug tap and won't thread deep enough without modification. Bummer. The price he quoted me is good for me. I will buy it any way.

"Billy G"
Sorry Billy G, not getting your concern? A plug tap also called a bottoming tap will do itís best to go/get to the bottom of the hole. It may not start to thread a hole very well, but it does get to the bottom of it. Especially if you already have threads that can be chased.

RayH

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 10:36:54 PM »
I got a second chance price from the seller. Problem is it's a plug tap and won't thread deep enough without modification. Bummer. The price he quoted me is good for me. I will buy it any way.

"Billy G"
Sorry Billy G, not getting your concern? A plug tap also called a bottoming tap will do itís best to go/get to the bottom of the hole. It may not start to thread a hole very well, but it does get to the bottom of it. Especially if you already have threads that can be chased.

A bottoming tap will cut 1 to 2 incomplete thread forms at the end. A plug tap will cut 3 to 5 incomplete thread forms from the end (assuming the tap body is blunt at the tip).

A bottoming tap is not the same as a plug tap.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »
 I have posted many projects, but none here. You can still access them at the other site. I designed a complete Cutter Grinder at one time and posted the complete build on HM.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb crap, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

chips and more

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 10:47:29 AM »

"Billy G"

A bottoming tap will cut 1 to 2 incomplete thread forms at the end. A plug tap will cut 3 to 5 incomplete thread forms from the end (assuming the tap body is blunt at the tip).

A bottoming tap is not the same as a plug tap.

The site I went to yesterday said that plug and bottoming can be referred as the same. That is why I made that quote and I wasnít sure on my own. I just checked again and found more reference to a difference than the same. So excuse me for the miss-information!

Bill Gruby

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 05:13:14 PM »
The thread only goes .250 deep into the head. The lead on that Tap needs to be shortened to cut that short depth. When I get the Tap I will see if a modification in possible. If not I will just single point them as I said.
 Chips, you are correct, a plug tap sometimes is called a bottoming tap.

"Billy G"

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

savarin

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 06:20:40 PM »
Hi Bill, could you use that tap to cut all the heads then if you think you wont use it again grind the first couple of threads off and finish the cuts.

RayH

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »
The thread only goes .250 deep into the head. The lead on that Tap needs to be shortened to cut that short depth. When I get the Tap I will see if a modification in possible. If not I will just single point them as I said.
 Chips, you are correct, a plug tap sometimes is called a bottoming tap.

"Billy G"

Anybody can call something by any name they like.

However, Taper, Plug and Bottoming are well defined industry standard terms. Calling a plug tab a bottoming tap would be a clear indication that someone either made a mistake or didn't know what they were talking about.

Below is one of many explanations easily available on the web.

https://www.yamawa.com/Portals/0/resource/en/tips/pdf/tips-007.pdf

Bill Gruby

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 06:45:19 PM »
Hi Bill, could you use that tap to cut all the heads then if you think you wont use it again grind the first couple of threads off and finish the cuts.

That's the plan Charles.

"Billy G"

savarin

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
I was bought up with taper, intermediate and bottoming taps

RayH

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 01:27:53 AM »
I was bought up with taper, intermediate and bottoming taps

I should have prefaced my comments with "in the U.S.A.". I have no idea what the conventions are in other countries and/or languages.
Ray

chips and more

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 12:30:27 PM »
This is where I got that plug tap info:

https://www.wordsense.eu/plug_tap/

RayH

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 05:55:01 PM »

I notice that the URL includes ".eu" which denotes the source is coming from the European Union.
That might explain the difference between definitions.

chips and more

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 04:12:52 PM »

I notice that the URL includes ".eu" which denotes the source is coming from the European Union.
In big fonts at the top it says ENGLISH! And it lists like 10 references of source! Websterís dictionary for one. RayH, I think you need to straighten out all this miss-information. And I think the internet has enough miss-info to keep you busy for a life time LOL.

RayH

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »

In big fonts at the top it says ENGLISH! And it lists like 10 references of source! Websterís dictionary for one. RayH, I think you need to straighten out all this miss-information. And I think the internet has enough miss-info to keep you busy for a life time LOL.

There are a number of different versions of ENGLISH. It can be confusing.
Ray