Author Topic: My new shop  (Read 48260 times)

4GSR

Re: My new shop
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
Daddy time is important!!!

Carpenter84

« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2020, 11:43:33 PM »
ok. did a better test on the grinder.
i have a 1x2x4 parallel, hardened something - from a second hand machinists toolbox purchase. dusted off both sides, let the wheel spark out on both sides. only took 2 passes after taking .0005" off the initial surface.
tenths TDI on the surface comparator stand. the needle dances around the division line across the surface. corner to corner sub-tenth. there seems to be next to no run out along the X travel, but there seems to be some run out along the Y travel. over the 2" parallel there was .00005 needle movement, half a tenth... millionths? in any event, the needle did not move past one division, so 1 tenth, .0001". so maybe across the 6" travel of the Y, there may be half a thou wear in the ways?
i do see the chatter pattern, but after sparking out, its barely noticeable. if i stone the surface with the precision ground flat stone, it accentuates the pattern.
so, aside from the broken Y wheel handle, and the spindle run-out, I'm comfortable saying the fall may not have effected the functionality of the grinder... thats a huge relief...

as far as the spindle run-out, im hesitant to say its bearings as i assume i would HEAR the bearings...? they are not noisy at all.
I will eventually swap out that garbage 1/4 horse furnace fan motor for a 3ph motor. at that time i will investigate the spindle. however, if i know me... at this point in the game im not looking for more projects, i may take Dave's advise and try to liquidate some of the older machinery for newer better machinery as time goes on. i can assure you, i do not enjoy a manual grinder... nor does my spine.. a hydraulic grinder would be superb... ahh, lofty dreams!

Carpenter84

« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2020, 11:48:01 PM »
Try to ignore the huge Y step over lines, were looking at the chatter pattern along the X... Kinda hard to take a picture of a shiny object, lol.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #288 on: October 05, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »
Yeah,  change out that motor!!!!  All you need is a 1-1/2HP 3450 RPM 3-ph motor.  Run it on a VFD unless your new motor is 575-600 volts.  My B & S SG is only 1-1/2 HP and I've never stalled it.  Funny, this grinder when I bought it came with a 575 volt motor.  Of course, it came out of a factory up near you originally.  I forget the name now, something like Steelcase furniture co.  They made steel desk and such stuff for industry.  As other companies, bit the dust!  Furniture now particle board and plastics!

Carpenter84

« Reply #289 on: October 05, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »
Likely to happen as soon as I come across a suitable motor. I have a 3ph 1.5 hp, but it's only 1100 rpm... What the hell is that?!

Shawn

PJB

My new shop
« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:44:39 PM by PJB »
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

PJB

My new shop
« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2020, 09:53:14 AM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:44:22 PM by PJB »
1972 Harig Super 612

PJB

My new shop
« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:44:05 PM by PJB »
1972 Harig Super 612

jpigg55

« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »
Shawn, got any buddies across the border close by ?
Unless you want 3-phase, Grizzly has a single phase, 2 HP, 3540 RPM motor for just under $300: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Motor-2-HP-Single-Phase-3450-RPM-110V-220V/H5386
I've ordered a couple replacement motor from them and have been happy with both. Not sure what shipping rates to Canada would be, but under $25 flat rate for US delivery.
Logan 6560H, SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Guys, these are great suggestions, but buying from the states would be wildly expensive. The currency change, and then the duty coming back over IF I drove over. And ya, shipping would be absurd for something heavy like a motor. I do not have any friends in the state's aside from you guys.
And I've spent way too much lately to be asking for any forgiveness.
If I buy something, it'll be after selling something. I'm still having a really hard time deciding whether to sell the First. On one hand, it's light duty, tight, but half the travel distance due to wear, but it's totally setup. Turn key. Put something in the vise and go. YES, I want a better mill, absolutely. The spark has lit the fire. But I need to get the Induma better setup first. If I'm to sell the First, I need the Induma to have a more secure Y travel - so, scraping the ways, even if only roughly for now, and I need to have a dro. Which is in the mail... I can't have machine downtime. Because, as it turns out, my shop has kind of found itself in a but of a "just in time" sort of market.
And as stupid as it sounds, I have sentimental feelings about that stupid First...
BUT... The wife knows I want a horizontal mill... So, the seed is planted... And she knows how I operate. Once an idea has taken hold, pretty much nothing will stop me till I get what I want...

It will come... I must be patient.
Shawn

jpigg55

« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
It will come... I must be patient.

LMAO,  I just had visions of an old cartoon I once saw.
3 buzzards sitting in a tree with one saying to the others..."Screw patience, I'm going to kill something" !  :85:
Logan 6560H, SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

chips and more

« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2020, 02:12:51 PM »
I thought it was ďnope, nope, nope, canít do it, canít do itĒ. Or something like that. :85:

ddickey

« Reply #297 on: October 06, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
Shawn.  Depending how serious you are and what the budget is I know of a few local and some not local auctions coming up with some really nice non-clapped out mills in them.   Unfortunately if they are as nice as I recall seeing in the flyers they usually go for 4-8k     The $2500 mills are mostly worn out projects or fine for hobby work.
Obviously time place and who happens to show up drives the price.   If you really need a general purpose mill and find one in good shape itís best to jump on it and ask for forgiveness later. 

Here is one going off in Iowa.  Terry not sure if this is close enough for you to consider also.
When day comes and I croak this is what You all have to look forward to

https://www.equipmentmarketers.com/auctions/yoder-auction/

This is 4-1/2 hrs from me and Iím all set mill and lathe wise but if I was in the market, Iíd be there brutalizing anyone else bidding That Colchester would be dragging behind me on the way home.   Some of the small items look really nice too.
Thanks for posting. Gonna buy that B&S SG

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #298 on: October 10, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »
Had an Alliant mill just like that one at one place where I worked  - holy Hannah, that was 20 years ago already!!  It was a good machine. Bridgeport clone, yes, Taiwan built I think, but it was a good machine.

Tiffin Iowa is about 4 1/2 hours from me, and nothing there that I really need or have room or money for, although I wish I did!

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #299 on: October 10, 2020, 09:42:21 PM »
I had been doing some reading the other week about the Induma, trying to sort out some power feeds (there's nothing, btw. Servo has nothing, I'm on my own to engineer something, which sucks..)
The general consensus I had been reading is the induma's were built FAR heavier than even brand name bridgeports. A few went as far as to say that Bridgeports aren't really even that heavy duty compared to a lot of other knee mills out there.
That really places me on the fence with this machine. I'm really starting to like it. There's absolutely nothing about it that's turning me on, likely aside from it just being mine - everyone always loved their own stuff the most (until they don't). It really makes me to want to do a full rebuild on it since it really seems worth it. But that power feed issue, that's gonna be a tough one.

I'm also really liking that LCD screen DRO on it. Much nicer to use than the DIN display units I have. I've drilled and countersink 180 holes on this job so far, all linear, the dro has the various pattern options, but they're digital! It displays on screen so you know exactly where you're supposed to be drilling, not just the hole number. Really easy.

I measured the lead screw shafts, 22mm. The power feeds are designed to run on 3/4" shafts - or whatever they are. So, to use any power feed that's not $1000+ I'll likely be into turning the ends of the leadscrews down to fit the dro, and get new hand cranks... Hoowwwwwever... If/when I rebuild, I'll be into new screws as the nuts and screws are severely worn. I could go nutso and get ball screws...

Gotta have power feeds tho, I want all 3 axis to be powered. I had to crank the knee down (then back up) 10" the other day... Ya, that sucked...
Shawn