Author Topic: Challenge 101  (Read 21045 times)

Bill Gruby

Challenge 101
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:31:30 PM »
 The other challenge seems to have fallen thru the floor. Let's see if this one flies?

Level playing field -- Everyone uses the same piece to start, A 3/4 Brass Plumbing Tee. That's BRASS, not copper, not PVC or anything else, JUST BRASS.

From there it's up to you, anything goes, your own design, plans built, collaboration, anything. Use what ever materials you want.

You have 60 days to come up with the design. It will be posted here before you start. Terry, Ken or myself will OK the design. No one else can use it after that. It's yours alone.

Once we are past the 60 days you will have 45 days  to complete the project. I will name the starting and ending dates for each phase.

Back to the Brass Tee, when the project is finished we must still be able to see and recognize the Brass Tee.

Have fun people.

Oh yea forgot, this Challenge has a prize, a copy of Machine Tool Reconditioning by Edward F. Connelly ___ That should wake you guys up.

This is a new book, not a beat up one, the binding isn't even broken yet. So let's all get going and have some fun in the shop.

"Billy G"
I'm pretty sure that my last words will be, OH SHIT,THAT DIDN'T WORK.

Bill Gruby

Re: Challenge 101
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
 Time Frame:

Design Phase - Sept. 1, 2019 to Oct. 30, 2019

Build Period - Oct. 31, 2019 to Dec. 15, 2019

Winner announced on Jan. 1, 2020

That should give  you plenty of time.

"Billy G"

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:46:18 PM »
I may just have enough of a hard time finding a brass 3/4" tee. ill see what I come up with.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
Paint a galvanize one with bronze spray paint and call it good. ;D ;D ;D

My local box store carries a few fittings, not real sure about bronze one. 3/4 at that.
McMaster-Carr probably has them, add $10-$15 for shipping, that could turn into a $30 tee!

Yep, they carry them at @$12.49 each.
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-pipe-fittings

Sure glad he didn't specify a cross, that would have been $26!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:30:05 PM by 4GSR »
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 03:55:34 PM »
 Geeze guys, just go to a plumber and he will probably give you a used one for free. Why try to make it so difficult???  LOL

"Billy G"

Please remember only the first to say they are building a project can build that one, all others must do something else. That's why I gave you 60 days to submit a project.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:04:49 PM by Bill Gruby »

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
because each of us home machinists, is also an engineer...
so you know... we over think, over build, over analyze everything..

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

Bill Gruby

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
 Two questions have been asked:

#1 -- Everyone will think of a hammer but only one can build it. That one will be the first one to submit it.

#2 Can I change my mind as long as it is before the dead line, of course you can, you can even enter more than one project if you think you can get them finished on tome. No limits here folks.

"Billy G"

pep

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
I may just have enough of a hard time finding a brass 3/4" tee. ill see what I come up with.
I though the same, was mistaken.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-FIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Pipe-Tee-Fitting-801879/300095969

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
A haaaaaamer... Jesus, bill, I didn't even think of a hammer... Now I'm swayed. Lol
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 09:55:08 PM »
I though the same, was mistaken.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-FIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Pipe-Tee-Fitting-801879/300095969

HOTDOG! They have six in stock at my store.  Don't anybody get them before me! >:D
Ken

pep

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 07:37:09 AM »
Too late, Breaking News (wired tones sounding in background)
"A stamped at HD by some crazed machinist depleted the entire stock shortly after the post"   O0

CNN reporting, Russians suspect.

Pep

Bill Gruby

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 07:39:58 AM »
 It does not have to be a new one fellas. An old used one is just fine. I see them at yard sales all the time for .50 cents. Plumbers save them aldo. There are many sources without having to pay the store prices.

"Billy G"

Bill Gruby

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 07:53:57 AM »
 PLEASE -- No early entries. I will start a new thread the night before Sept. 1 to post your entries. Again, if you see someone has already entered with a like entry to yours you will have to think of something else.

"Billy G"

4GSR

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 08:54:18 AM »
................................................ I see them at yard sales all the time for .50 cents. Plumbers save them aldo. ...................."Billy G"

Not around here!!! The plumbers head for the scrapper when they get bucket full and cash in for beer money.  Plus, they can't reuse that stuff because of that Calif. law that says that stuff is not good for our health.  Imagine that?  Yard sales, not down here, they always have the wrong kind of stuff!  Anything shiny, brass or copper and such, the thieves steal and head for the local scrapper... HD sounds like my best source.

Bill, I'm just messing with you.  Don't take me serious.
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
 You do what ya hasta do. My neighbor is a pipe fitter, guess where i get mine?  LOL   Also, if you run into trouble and cannot find one, just let me know via PM.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:09:34 AM by Bill Gruby »