Author Topic: ugly chuck cleanup and mounting  (Read 5334 times)

bl00

ugly chuck cleanup and mounting
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
This thing has been rolling around my floor awhile doing important duty like propping doors open or weighing things down while glue dries.   

Here's what it looked like last week upon dissasembly.  It took a purple power bath and then evaporust.

The back plate came from Shars.  It has threads, but they leave the rest of the fitting to you.

Once turned to size I set the chuck on top and used transfer punches to mark where to drill (no pic).  I decided to drill a small pilot hole first.  The little bit wouldn't hold in the larger drill press, so I plopped mini-me up on the mill table.

Drilling/tapping

I should've taken more time when I marked the holes for drilling because I was off and the run out was huge.  Son of a biscuit eater!  (That's what we used to say when we weren't allow to cuss.)

Fortunately there was plenty of real estate to drill new holes in the back plate.  Once mounted and with some gentle tapping with the screws not quite snugged up I got it dialed in to .001 (measuring on the outside).  That makes it sound easy, but what really happened was 12 thou off one way, tap with mallet = 15 off the other way, repeat 17 or 18 times.  Eventually my mallet arm became properly calibrated and I got it right.

4GSR

Re: ugly chuck cleanup and mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
Nice job there.  I like that DP you have there. :)

Harbor Freight sells chip brushes for brushing off that pile of chips there! ;D  Just giving you a hard time there.

Keep the cards coming!

Ken
Ken

dlane

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »
I like the DP also could you elaborate on it
Derrick

bl00

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
It was made by EFI in Portugal probably in the 1950s or 60s.  They also made drills for StartRite, Do-All, and Rockwell.  It's a gear head with 6 speeds that are changed by rotating the dial on front.  With the VFD+gears it goes from 10 - 2600 rpm.

bl00

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:46:00 AM »
Harbor Freight sells chip brushes for brushing off that pile of chips there! ;D  Just giving you a hard time there.

I had a shop rag across the bed to try to contain the dust, but it collapsed under the weight and I gave up.  Once I was finished the whole carriage/crossslide/compound had to come apart to get all the dust out.  May next time I'll wrap it all with Saran wrap.  What could go wrong?

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:04 AM »
Get you one of them vacuum cleaners that fit on top of a 5-gallon bucket.  Find it handy for nasty stuff like cast iron shavings.  Their handy around the mill, too.  Just a thought.

Say, did you hear anymore about that 14" Rockwell lathe that you had a lead on?
Ken

bl00

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »
That was someone else with the Rockwell.  I did get a slightly bigger Clausing.  It's a 12x36 vs the current 10x24.  Unfortunately it won't fit where the current one is, so I'm going to have to move about five things to gain the extra foot.

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
Great job! I like your DP too as well as all your other toys! The green thing, it’s a sensitive drill press correct? And what is the green thing sitting on? Thanks for sharing…Dave

bl00

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Here's a couple pics of the green one.  The quill has a spring on it like most drill presses, but no power down-feed.  Does that make it sensitive?  It has a little removable x-y table on it and goes up to 10,000 rpm.  I don't have any other pics on my phone for the mill, but it's a Mattsson & Zetterlund VF600 http://www.lathes.co.uk/mattsson&zetterlund/

chips and more

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:55:34 AM »
Very nice! Are you in the States? Your machines are a long way from home. Do you do any micro machining? Those kinda toys don’t turn up in the states very often. Good find, hope you enjoy them!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:51:57 PM by chips and more »

bl00

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
Yes, I'm in Virginia and the oddballs like to follow me home.  They were all local purchases from craigslist over the years.  The little drill press was from the estate of a guy who worked at the Beretta factory in Maryland back in the 1970s.  I don't know if it was surplus, five finger discount, or he acquired it some other way.  Maybe it was a door prize at the company Christmas party.  I don't have a specific need for it, but it was cheap and local.