Author Topic: Banban's 13" South Bend Lathe Saddle Reconditioning  (Read 26911 times)

4GSR

Re: Banban's 13" South Bend Lathe Saddle Reconditioning
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »
Well Bambam, I have good news, Made a new screw today. I think you'll be happy with it.  It's good and snug like I like to make them.  Still have to cut the 2" long nub off the one end that I used for clearance to keep from running into the tailstock live center.  Also have to cut the 7/16-14 thread on the other end.  Last will be cutting the keyway in the one end.  Then it's back to scraping and fitting.
Ken

Bamban

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 09:43:07 PM »
Ken,

Thank you. I am sure I will love it. The SBL 13 will replace the 1236 in turning barrels, and chambering long ones through the headstock for bolt guns.
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1234
P100
High Master XC, LR

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
Ken, what's the thing on top of the cross slide? Follow rest?
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
Ken, what's the thing on top of the cross slide? Follow rest?

Yes, that is the follower rest.  A must have for cutting any kind of long screw.  Also for turning down long lengths of material, too.

I didn't take any pictures of the actual turning down of the 1" OD rod down to close to .67" OD on each end.  This operation was done on my 15" Sheldon.  Had the screw rough out for the 9" SBL in about 35 minutes. Took another 35-40 minutes to finish turn the OD's ready for threading.  Threading took about an hour to do.  Remember, I take breaks and let the bar cool down before turning around and cutting more. It's important swap ends often to prevent the material from warping, or keep it to a minimum.  After rough turning, had about .008-.010" runout in the middle of the bar.  Doing a few "tricks" I was able to keep the T.I.R. to around .002" end-to-end when finished.

Ken
Ken

dlane

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »
Tricks ?
Derrick

Carpenter84

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
Can you take a pic of your follow rest? It's something I need to make for my lathe
Shawn

Bamban

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »
Sure is interesting to read some of the tricks of the trade. I never thought about putting the tool holder on the tailstock side to have the cutter opposite the follow rest fingers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:39:17 AM by Bamban »
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1234
P100
High Master XC, LR

4GSR

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
Sure is interesting to read some of the tricks of the trade. I never thought about putting the tool holder on the tailstock side to have the cutter opposite the follow rest fingers.

The old school follower rest positions the fingers almost in the middle of the cross slide.  They did this on purpose back then.  Then, you use the straight turning tool holder with the rocker tool post.  (Remember them?)  Now days, the Asian lathes place the follower rest on the left side of the cross slide, so it is more or less in line with your cutting tool in the four way tool post or Aloris. 

Ken
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 11:07:59 AM »
Tricks ?

As for "tricks", I mentioned most of them in my posting above.  A couple more tips on getting the runout out of a long shaft that is being turned.  Is to chuck up on one end and put your live center at the other.  Take a sharp high positive tool with a small tip radius, like the one Bambam sent me.  At slow RPM's carefully turn a spot to either chuck on or run your steady rest on.  If it starts to chatter apply force to the top of the bar being turned with a piece of brass or bronze until you hit a sweet spot where the chatter quietens up.  Once you get a spot true up on this spot, take a light cut end to end.  Next, swap ends, chuck on the freshly turned OD and see if that end runs truer.  May have to do this several times, so be sure to leave you enough stock on the OD for truing up.  Should be able to do this with about .050" stock oversize left on.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
Take a few detailed pictures of your setup? What's that dial on top?
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »
Take a few detailed pictures of your setup? What's that dial on top?

I'll take a couple pictures of the follower rest for you.  Give me a chance today.

Don't quite follow what you are asking about the "dial on top"

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
This guy.
Shawn

dlane

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »
Thanks Ken .
Derrick

4GSR

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »
This guy.

Shawn,

That is the adjustment that moves the "fingers" in/out against your work piece.  As soon as I get a picture taken, it should get you a better picture.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
One or two of them on the rest? Up top and opposite of the tool?
Shawn