Author Topic: Banban's 13" South Bend Lathe Saddle Reconditioning  (Read 26911 times)

4GSR

Re: Banban's 13" South Bend Lathe Saddle Reconditioning
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »
Alright Shawn,  You made me go out there and get my hands dirty again to take a picture of the follower rest.  Here's a end view, looking at the tailstock end if it was mounted in the lathe.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
😁😁😁
Thank you. I can see what I need to build then.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 12:27:16 PM »
Here's the finished cross feed screw for Bambam's 13" SBL.  Next to it is the old one, and laying next to it on the right is the one I messed up on.  I'll save it for a rainy day.

Oh, Mike, if you are looking, that's your piece of cast iron laying there.  Try to get it in the email sometime this week.

Ken
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »
Another tip I forgot to mention.  My 3-jaw chuck I use is fairly new to me, bought it almost 20 years ago. The back plate I have for it is made from a piece of 4145HT found in the old family machine shop dad had.  At the time, no cast iron to be had.  Works just fine.  When I go to mount it to the threaded spindle, I'll coat the threads with never-sleigh to prevent galling.  Anyways, the register on the back plate is turned about .010" undersize to the chuck counter bore. I do this to get the chuck running true to the material I chuck up on.  Leave the mounting screws snug and bump around the chuck until you get as near as you can to zero runout.  Tighten the mounting screws.  They don't have to be gorilla tight, but Allen wrench tight.  The chuck is not going anywhere.  In the twenty years, I have not had an issue with the chuck moving around.  Have had to re-adjust a time or two over the years.  Remember, this is on a 9" SBL.  Your mileage may vary.

Having a chuck that is running dead true does help a bunch on machining a cross feed screw to run true end to end.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
Could you recommend some kind of test bar? I only have a good carbide end mill to use as a test bar to indicate the chucks. Something 6" long is good. I've always wondered if my 4 jaw is running true, not cockeyed, and ive always wanted to try what you just said with my 3 jaw.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
Get you a piece of Thompson ground shafting about 1" in diameter by 12-18" long.  That's all I use.  You can get it to align up easily in any chuck.  That's all I use today.  I gave up on trying to use test bars with tapered shanks on them.

Ken
Ken

dlane

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
Nice work on the screw Ken I’m sure Nez will like it ,I may of missed it are you making the nut also ?
O buy the way if you get to emailing cast iron around I could use some  ;D
Derrick

4GSR

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
Yeah, Nez provided a new cross feed screw nut he purchased from someone on eBay.  Really a nice nut, too.

Let me know what size you are looking for.  If I have it, I'll let you know.  IF not, I'll see if I can get it for you.

Ken
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
Looks very nice Ken, thanks for sharing...Dave

firestopper

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
Ken,
Nice job on the feed screws, they look great.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

firestopper

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »
Shawn,
Here's another example of a follow rest in use. I knurled a long 14 gauge X 1" tubing. Without a follow rest the tube would have deflected too much.

Ken, I hope you don't mind me showing another example.

Turn and Burn,
Paco

4GSR

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
Ken, I hope you don't mind me showing another example.

No, not at all. We are all here to help out.  Thanks for posting Paco.

Ken
Ken

dlane

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »
Sorry Ken I was just kidding about email ing cast iron , it would be cheaper though  :D
Derrick

4GSR

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
Sorry Ken I was just kidding about email ing cast iron , it would be cheaper though  :D

Let me know when you are ready. I have plenty on hand.  If not, I can get you what you want if in reason and not a truck load of it.  That'll cost you.   ;D

Ken
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »
Yeah, just caught my typo several post above. :-[  Cast iron don't email very good, post office loves me when I ship a 40 lb. package of cast iron in a medium flat rate box. ;D  Thanks for catching it dlane
Ken