Author Topic: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild  (Read 46542 times)

4GSR

Re: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »
You use the straight edge to scrape in the dovetail.  You don't care about what angle it is at.  Once it is flat, then scrape the mating dovetail to match. 

Whichever method you want to use is at your discretion.  I just offered mine as a suggestion.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
So, I don't really care how parallel the dovetail are to the body of the compound? What happens if I scrape the male side in with the straight edge and a mic paralle to each other and they wind up crooked overall?
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
So, I don't really care how parallel the dovetail are to the body of the compound? What happens if I scrape the male side in with the straight edge and a mic paralle to each other and they wind up crooked overall?

You scrape the taper out on either piece.  Be careful here, if you take it out on the wrong piece, it will show up in when machining.  And you'll be going back and re-scraping to get the alignment back in.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »
Ok... I may need a bit of guidance.
I am scraping the male dovetail as suggested. Aside from the PITA of scraping, I think I'm having a hard time spotting. I have used the saw blade to relief the crotch of the dovetail, but maybe my angled straight edge corner is too sharp? Not enough radius? I'm having a hard time getting the flat surface to sit properly to blue. It wants to rock because it gets stuck in the relief cut.
Shawn

Carpenter84

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »
If I slide the straight edge up slightly, I get fine bluing. But it's difficult to trust the bluing because I have no way of knowing if the straight edge is rocking. I'm doing my best to place just enough pressure to keep it from rocking but not too much that I induce a bend or a false reading.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
Looks good to me.  Your doing everything correct from your pictures.  As for the rocking of the straight edge, that just takes practice.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 06:13:50 AM »
As part of this rebuild, I need to replace the motor. It is a 90v dc treadmill motor. I spent a significant period of time building and rebuild (3 times) the dc controller. It works like a charm now. Super easy controls, very accurate speed control, voltage and amperage displays, as well as rpm display. But the motor is pulling 30amps with neglable and questionable torque. Mark Silva (from the ‘other’ place) gave me a great deal of help to get where I am, including designing and building me a custom controller circuit.

Ive been looking around for a 90v DC motor around 1-1.5hp but notta comes up, ever...
I may have to resort to an eBay motor.

For those here that are savvy with this sort of thing, what do you think of this?

Edit: many times during this journey I have considered junking the whole system and going to a VFD. I do have an untested 1hp 3ph motor, I think 230v. But, I like this system now, I spent quite a bit of money on it, it works, so I think for the time being I will stick with DC. Even if it is getting harder and more expensive to find motors. I'd like to hope that getting a proper tfec motor will last longer than the more readily available treadmill motors...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:23:23 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

Thunderdog

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
Not sure if this is 100% correct, but when I was scraping my Wells-Index dovetails I would set the straight edge down in the dovetail.  Then, I would slide it upward to get the very tip of the straight edge out of the relief valley. Only then would I move the straight edge left to right.  It's a subtle movement and took a couple of practice "bluings", but worked like a champ.

BTW, keep up the good work.

4GSR

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
That's the way your supposed to do it.  Some of us get a little lazy and short cut the process. No names.

Carpenter84

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
Not sure if this is 100% correct, but when I was scraping my Wells-Index dovetails I would set the straight edge down in the dovetail.  Then, I would slide it upward to get the very tip of the straight edge out of the relief valley. Only then would I move the straight edge left to right.  It's a subtle movement and took a couple of practice "bluings", but worked like a champ.

BTW, keep up the good work.
I was having quite the hard time with that. It took me a lot of time and unnecessary scraping to realise I needed to let the straight edge float, essentially. I kept feeling like that process was wrong as there's no real way to prevent or even feel if the straight edge was rocking. I just had to trust my hands.

Thunderdog

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
Yup, you are letting the weight of the straight edge do the work.  No pressing down or pulling toward you.  It's riding the surface and telling you what's high and what's low.

Thunderdog

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »
Here's me doing a bluing.  If needed, jump to 4:25.
https://youtu.be/2wmz-N_Coes

4GSR

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
Shawn,

Here's a guy selling straight edges from USSR.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Machinist-Straight-Edge-630mm-machine-tool-attachments-12-kg-USSR-RARE/152712082614?hash=item238e5974b6:g:3zoAAOSw0wRZ6bsI

Make an offer!  I bet he can drop ship it directly to you without it passing thru the USA.  May save you $$$ on shipping.

He has other straight edges and other metrology tools for sale too
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »
Whoo. 300 bucks. 200 smackers shipping.

Edit. Lol. Pardon me, $397 + $264 Canadian.

Thanks Ken. Gonna have to take a pass on this one. If I'm spending that much, Mr King has camel backs for around that much.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:13:35 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
Yeah, that's true.  I forgot about RK's straight edges.  At least with his, you know what you are getting.

And I know I can get you this piece of CI to you for a lot less than $200 bucks shipping.

I just though that guy could direct ship it from Russia to Canada a lot cheaper than going thru USA.
Ken