Author Topic: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild  (Read 46552 times)

Carpenter84

Re: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »
Jeez. I hope it's a lot less than $200 shipping...

I could message the guy and ask about shipping, but even the $400 price tag just isn't in the cards right now. I still have to work off Christmas.
Shawn

Carpenter84

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
A friend of mine, where I have the possibility of building a new shop (once the rain stops and the swamps dry up), we went exploring a couple weeks ago around his property. Found some preeety big H-beams with a plate welded on the flange. I assume they are beams from an industrial building with a big block ledge his father got at auction.
Regardless. They are straight, long, and massively beefy. I’ve been pondering snagging 5’ and maybe building a new lathe stand from it and bolt the lathe down. I can’t think of a beefier item to potentially add rigidity to my lathe... thoughts? Pending I can get the man-power or equipment to actually move all this stuff around  :o

I tried to find a picture of what I’m talking about but google wasn’t giving up the ghost today. The beams probably have an 18-20” web, and the block ledge is probably 16” wide 1/2” thick. The 5’ chunk I want will probably be 300lbs.

It’s been quiet here this weekend. And I’ve been sick as a dog... no, in fact, I’m sure my dogs are healthier than I currently.
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
Get well Shawn!

That piece of "H" beam may turn into more trouble than it's worth!

Any vibration you get in the lathe will transfer into that beam and will drive you nuts.  On the other hand, it may not.  Better think more of 100 lbs per foot.  If you have a Machinerys Handbook, there are tables that may get you close to the beam you have there.  Or go back and google "H-section beam" and see what you come up with.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »
I was already thinking of dampening ideas. But would the added weight make any difference? You had mentioned before bolting a large plate to the bottom of the lathe bed to add rigidity
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:20 AM »
True.

The web on the H-beam may resonate a vibration from the lathe.  Just depends if the top flange where the lathe is bolted down to is thick enough to cancel out the resonate frequency before it gets to the web of the beam.  Cutting holes in the web should help.  Say a hole diameter of 8" ID?  Spaced out over the length of the beam, leaving a spacing of around 4-6" between the holes?
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
 I'll likely actually tackle this once the new shop is setup. But, the plan was to weld on a piece of sheet metal closing in one side of the beam and fill it with sand to dampen any vibration.
There's a pile of brick sand on the property I could use.

4GSR

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
Hey, that will work.  Sheet metal will have to be reinforced or the sand over time will budge out the sheet metal. It'll keep packing itself tight and may eventually bust out the sheet metal.  Maybe not.  Add some cement to the sand and put in dry.  Moisture may eventually harden the sand or stabilize it a bit to keep it from packing itself tighter.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
Could use polymeric sand. The stuff you sweep between pavers/patio stones to keep the weeds out. It hardens into a slightly rubbery consistency with moisture. But not so hard that it would itself resonate.

All these hob-cobbled ideas, lol, it would just be nice to get a bigger lathe.

Carpenter84

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:40 PM »
rant/
*big lathe envy*....

Those of you who have bigger engine lathes... damn you!
Trying to turn a 2” part tonight. Couldn’t take .030” off without stalling the motor in the lowest pulley position I have before back gears. I am running a 1hp 3ph motor on a vfd, but it’s an older motor. Still have all pulley positions and back gears available. But larger the stock, harder to turn. Fresh ccmt insert, rated to chip break at a .040” doc, couldn’t even get there. Had to go to hss in back gears to peel off the stock. Took forever and smoked out my garage... then missed the target by .100” because I read the mic wrong. Effffffffffffff...

I’d love to put a 2hp motor on, but then I’ll need to buy a new vfd as I only bought a 1hp rated one. And the space provided for the motor is quite small.
For the amount of work and money I’ve spent on this lathe Frankensteining it, I really should just buy a bigger one.

Keith Rucker (vintage machinery.org) just found a Rivett 1020S. Absolutely beautiful lathe. Supposed to be regarded better than a 10EE.... connections and money. He seems to have plenty of both... I have neither... yaarg,....
/rant

Shawn

Carpenter84

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:28 AM »
You can't even buy one for that price here!  Of course, they have a metric M6 thread on them.  I could improvise and make them work. :D
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
Jesus... look how absolute crap these gits cups are...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123744647420

They don't appear to do the job they are intended to. They would allow fine swarf to enter through the slits. I don't think my real gits oilers do that.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

4GSR

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »
Hum... I didn't look at them that close. 

If there is a particular Gits oilier you need, let me know, I have a pretty good collection of Gits stuff and I don't mind sharing any of it. i don't have any metric crap just inch stuff. ;)
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
Not to mention they wouldn't hold any oil... I've seen some cheap Chinese junk, but I think those take the cake I think.
I've wanted some gits for a while to replace the button oilers on my carriage.

I just made an offer on a pair of NOS drip oilers (and won) that I'll put on my spindle. I had been having issues with my spindle bearings. The grease is junk now. The bearings are stiff when they're cold and they get pretty warm after a lot of use.
A month or two ago I took the bearing cover off and put a button oiler in and started flushing the bearing with oil. Over the following weeks as the junk grease washed out it started getting better. Freeing up when cold and not getting as warm. Also less noise. I tried to put one on the rear bearing too, but I need to disassemble more than i was currently willing to facilitate that.

When I setup to run the lathe, I pump a bunch of spindle oil in the front and splash the rear cover (I'm sure none is getting in...) And over the course of running it of course all comes out the bottom making a mess. A drip would be better.

Same goes for most of the other oil locations.

All of my current button oilers are 1/4" and are old and cruddy. A while ago I bought 8mm new ones and had been slowly replacing the old ones if I had removed something.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254200909076
Shawn

4GSR

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
I had a old lathe way back in time that I put drip oilers like those on.  They do real good until you forget to turn them off.  Come back later and they are empty. :( 
Ken