WELDING & RELATED > Welding/Cutting/Etc

Brazing Carbide

(1/1)

Uglydog:
I've been pretty good at sweating copper and plumbing stuff (no leaks).
Don Foreman patiently showed me silver brazing several years ago.
Dennis Danich did similar this past summer at the scraping event this past summer.
These past few weeks I was working on a brazing project and was curious about the technical differences between welding, brazing, silver brazing, and various types of soldering. This included filler metal differences and torch types. An internet search suggested that due to a long history of interchangeable terms I am not the only one confused about the differences. I also found various sources which professed to have all the answers. Good/Bad I'm always suspect of anyone who professes to know everything.

I offer this link which appears to be the most definitive option I've found. It's also free....
https://carbideprocessors.com/pages/technical-info/brazing-carbide.html
Should you find a better source please let me know....

Thanks,
Daryl
MN

Carpenter84:
Interesting read. I had previous tried to braze carbide to a tool shank with undesirable results.

Thanks

4GSR:
Carbide Processors know their stuff when it comes to brazing carbide to metal.  And when I say brazing, brazing with nickel-silver and I guess they do brass, too.  I haven't visited their website in a long time.  I have a sample of wire and flux they sent me many years ago to try out but have not done so. 

chips and more:
I have an oxy acetylene set-up. But itís so buried in the crap, I havenít seen it in years! So, all I use for heat are one or two mapp torches. And since my jobs are usually small, I have been getting away with the minimal BTUís and heat range. That said, I have brazed Carbide with good results. Maybe try using that black flux stuff. And get some brazing rod with some silver in it. And make sure your project is CLEAN before you start to braze.

I usually snip off a piece of hopefully the correct size/volume of hard solder and place it next to the area with the flux. Then heat it up. Maybe will need to push the hard solder back into position as the heat will move it around. As soon as the hard solder completely flows, remove the heat. Do not play around with keeping the heat on it. And trying to add more hard solder at this time is iffy. All of this is my experience.

Carpenter84:
If we're talking about my experience - it was a carbide lathe insert, not sure if the coatings prevent welding, and I tried it with a brass brazing rod. It held for the intended process, but it was ugly. Unlikely to be long lived.
I have done lots of silver brazing due to the copper bus bar jobs. But I usually use all of the silver on those projects, so I have none left over to experiment with. It's also rather pricy stuff...
But sounds like it's a good idea to keep some on hand for these very reasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version