Author Topic: Senior Moment  (Read 5391 times)

savarin

Re: Senior Moment
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 08:57:10 PM »
Been fabricating my "Jail Cell" around the patio and due to discrepancies in the original roof supports not being exactly vertical there are differences in dimensions in all the units so I'm fabricating and welding in place.
 This means going up and down the step ladder like a yo-yo.
 Usually not a problem, I fold and pack it away at the end of the work day.
 Yesterday I set up as usual, all dressed up in welding gear and hanging on to the the leads, got half way up the ladder when it started to split.
 I had forgotten to lock the hinge.
As I felt the start of the slip I was locked in position with words like idiot, dick, tosser, fool, etc etc zooming through my head and it all seemed to be happening in ultra slow motion as I called myself all these and more names.
I thought this is it, broken ankles at the least,  I got clean away with it but the noise was impressive as the ladder flattened and we hit the deck.
 lucky.

woodchucker

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 09:05:53 PM »
Been fabricating my "Jail Cell" around the patio and due to discrepancies in the original roof supports not being exactly vertical there are differences in dimensions in all the units so I'm fabricating and welding in place.
 This means going up and down the step ladder like a yo-yo.
 Usually not a problem, I fold and pack it away at the end of the work day.
 Yesterday I set up as usual, all dressed up in welding gear and hanging on to the the leads, got half way up the ladder when it started to split.
 I had forgotten to lock the hinge.
As I felt the start of the slip I was locked in position with words like idiot, dick, tosser, fool, etc etc zooming through my head and it all seemed to be happening in ultra slow motion as I called myself all these and more names.
I thought this is it, broken ankles at the least,  I got clean away with it but the noise was impressive as the ladder flattened and we hit the deck.
 lucky.
geez you are lucky. that must have been your day.  Easter Sunday...
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

grumpygator

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 04:34:38 AM »
Hell C,
 Only the good die young. Which means most of us here are going to be around for a long time.
  I know for a fact that I don't bounce as well as I used too. Keep on keeping on it's the only way we will get through this crap.
  Best wishes to you and yours.
            **G**

chips and more

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 09:21:26 AM »
Hell C,
 Only the good die young. Which means most of us here are going to be around for a long time.
  I know for a fact that I don't bounce as well as I used too. Keep on keeping on it's the only way we will get through this crap.
  Best wishes to you and yours.
            **G**

Ainít that the truth! As a kid I would bounce right back up, shake the dust off, and go. Now, I stay down, do a body check and maybe even take a nap LOL.

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
Hey, it ain't just you old guys... It's still a long way to the floor for me. I am not someone you would consider a graceful faller.... I tend to do my best to stave off the effects of gravity...

Two years ago I was wiring a basement on the side, in winter. I was parked on the road carrying supplies up to the house, it was dark. I used the neighbours driveway and crossed on the sidewalk because the client hadnt shoveled very well. Huh....

Second trip up my left foot found a patch of ice on the neighbours curb. Armfulls of supplies went sailing one direction, my feet in another direction. I'm sure if you were watching from a window it was probably hilarious... I would not have agreed. I'd wager my shoes probably reached 7 feet in the air before my left arm found the ground. I laid there a moment... Did a self check. I was suuuuuuuuuuure I broke my forearm. In fact, I was flabbergasted I didn't break my arm... Hell of a bone bruise, tho.
I was sooooo angry after...
Then got fearful. What the hell would I have done if I broke my arm?!? How do I do my line of work with one arm??
Guhhh...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

PJB

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
I was finishing  an arbor for a project that needed a 5/8 x 11 thread on the end--set up the lathe per the chart :)
Started cutting the thread but was in a hurry and did not check the scratch pass. Store bought nut would not fit so I finally :)get the thread gauge out--not 11tpi. Recheck my setup by the chart, looks good--checked 3 times :) I was tired so locked up the shop and went in the house.
looked up the chart on line. The duh moment--calls for 22t gear not 24t.
Almost all the gear changes for thread cutting use 24t and 48t- ALMOST ALL.
I am claiming a senior moment :)

That qualifies

First time I SPT on the lathe I ended up with LH threads.   Thought I was being slick threading away from the shoulder towards the tailstock
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 06:39:19 PM »
Oh man, I did the exact same thing!
Tried to copy a water hose quick connect. Looked excellent and fit the quick connect except for the left hand hose thread. Haha.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,