Author Topic: Shop computer mouse  (Read 218 times)

Carpenter84

Shop computer mouse
« on: June 23, 2021, 07:57:15 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on a computer mouse for the shop? One that doesn't have rubber on it that breaks down due to oil and solvents. One that doesn't get all gummed up due to dust or grime.
The one I have all the rubber is gummy and swollen - did the rubber handle screwdriver thing due to oils and solvents. And the track wheel is all gummed up. Anyone who does CAD with a crap mouse will know my frustration...
I want to buy another one, but does anyone know of a extreme environment model?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

RayH

Re: Shop computer mouse
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 09:50:14 PM »
I use Logitech M325. Wireless, small, light, optical (LASER?), 1 AA battery last a long time. About $10, on sale, at Office Depot and the like.
You will need a mouse pad that works well with the optical sensor but It doesn't seem to be very fussy.
Ray

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:11 PM »
any rubber on it?
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 10:22:01 PM »
I have a Logitec wireless laser mouse also - two of them on two different computers in fact. One is slightly different from the other, but one of them has some hard plastic pads on the bottom that it slides on while the other has pads that are more like vinyl or some other rubbery yet slippery plastic material. Mine are not around oil at all, but they both work very well, even for CAD.  Other than the pads on the one, there are no rubber parts whatsoever.

:coffee2:

Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 11:50:11 PM »
The logitech mouse I'm using functions fine (aside from the gummy wheel), it's the fact that the rubber grips on the sides have melted and have become gross and sticky. Fine if my hands are dirty (as they often are in here), it's when my hands are clean that it becomes quite annoying. Fingers wind up black and sticky...
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

PJB

Shop computer mouse
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 07:46:40 AM »
Z
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:43:45 AM by PJB »
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »
So far, my search has resulted in discovering the type of peripherals I am looking for are actually Medical Grade... But they're very basic and undesirable for extended periods of use, especially for AutoCad.
Seems I may have to do just that - make sure my hands are clean before I touch anything. That's just tricky sometimes when I'm wearing nitrile gloves and only need to change a page, or a song, or whatever.
I was hoping there would be an industrial type solution, but it seems to not exist.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I do need to replace this mouse, I'll have another look back at the suggestions and see if anything jumps out at me.
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
I use a Dell optical mouse with USB (not wireless). Maybe the finger roller is vinyl? Everything else is plastic. Has been flawless for yearsssss. I do not use any kind of special pad. It will even work on wood.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »
I used to have a Logitech laser trackball that withstood just about anything I could throw at it. Just pop the hard plastic ball out once in a while and clean it. In some ways it worked better than a mouse for CAD stuff. I would have stuck with using trackballs, but it seems I am the odd man out. Most folks do not like them, and with low popularity I do not know if you can even buy them anymore.

ON EDIT: They are still made and readily available, but they do still have the rubber scroll wheel on them, so just switching to one of them would not solve your problem. It is looking like touching only with clean hands is going to be your best bet.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:12:15 AM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Carpenter84

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »
Terry, are you talking about the one where the trackball is under your thumb? Ive thought about those. It would eliminate one of the problems, the dusty shop gumming up the base of the mouse.
Id like to hear more about it.
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 08:50:58 AM »
That is correct, Shawn. They claim that trackballs are easier on your hand and wrist, and I agree with that. I also find them much easier to use for precision pointer placement, such as for working in CAD. I used to do quite a bit of graphic modifications and for working with individual pixels, the trackball was far superior to a mouse. Precision work is just soooo much easier. I believe you would tend to agree after a short adjustment period. Adjusting to a trackball is easier than I ever thought it would be but does take a short period of time to get used to it.

My wife does not like them, she prefers a mouse. Our desktop computer came with a wireless laser mouse as standard, and my laptop offered a wireless mouse as an option, but not a trackball. So, I ended up with a mouse. But, since this has come up, I am seriously considering getting a trackball again as I do prefer them.

The only way to find out if you like them is to try one out. I did find that they were less susceptible to dirt and grunge, but they still need a little cleaning from time to time, so it is not a 'maintenance free' option. With the ball on top, gravity has a way of drawing little particles into the case, but the ball is easily removed and everything gets cleaned out. The newer ones now have a hole in the bottom, used to push the ball out of the case with a finger, but it also allows foreign material to drop out the bottom.

If you choose to purchase one, make sure that you get one that uses a laser to read the ball movements and not little rubber rollers with optical wheels inside. The Logitech ERGO M575 is one such unit, and you can check it out here:  https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/m575-ergo-wireless-trackball.910-005867.html  I have no connection with Logitech, I just have used their products over the years and like them very much.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:53:49 AM by Terrywerm »
Terry

4GSR

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 04:39:13 PM »
I currently use trac ball mouse, two of them!  The main reason I use them, it eases the pain from arthritis in my hands.  Yeah, they get dirty and require cleaning.  I don't take my computers to the shop, they stay inside.  I make sure my hands are clean when I leave the shop before touching the computer.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
I ordered a refurbished m570. It does have the optical sensors. The refurb was half the price of new ($35 vs 70), from Amazon, so it has the Amazon return policy still.
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,