Author Topic: The weather  (Read 3271 times)

Carpenter84

The weather
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »
As a good, healthy change of subject, let's talk about the weather. And the old adage goes, old men talk about the weather - yeah, there's some here who are a little gray on top... lol, old guys... (Yeah yeah yeah, I'll be there too one day...) .....
It was god damn COLD two days ago! I had to put a bloody sweater on at 6pm!!! What the hell is that horse crap?!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Re: The weather
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 12:09:37 PM »
I remember a camping trip that we were on about 20 years ago in south central Minnesota, New Ulm to be exact. We woke up one August morning to find frost on the outside of the tent. Only a few little spots, and it all disappeared rather quickly, but it was there.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
You think that is bad, come down here where I'm at.  It's supposed to hit 100 degrees again today.  A solid week of 100's.  I'm ready for some cool weather!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:25:34 PM by 4GSR »
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »
 Rain everyday for two weeks no. My yard is a hay field. Would luv some cold weather just to catch up.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb crap, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

dlane

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »
This is another one of those threads where general locations would be nice to know.
Cali is finely starting to cool down for now , at least under 100 but not much.
Derrick

Flguy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
   92* now and as par for the course it will be raining later today. Extreme humidity. SW Florida.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
 Connecticut, Derrick.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb crap, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Carpenter84

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
Haha. Nope. Gotta guess.

We've been mid/high 90's most of the summer. A lot hotter than I can remember. And dry... Finally had a couple weeks of good rain storms.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

gerritv

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
Typical Canadian past time, complaining about the weather :-)
South of the lake here things cold the other night but now a lovely temperature. A couple of recent rain storms helped to refill the pond (saves $) and also to finally get the grass to where I  needed to cut it. I sue the age old wisdom, if you don't water it, then you don't need to cut it. The stuff survives anyway.
A side benefit is that is cool enough to enjoy eating in the backyard. And the cooler weather delays our purchase of a new AC yet again. Last year not used at all, this year only a few times even with the 30C+ weather for a few weeks. Opening windows and using fans does wonders.

The dry weather is great for the grapes in the area, hoping for a great wine vintage this year.

Gerrit

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »
we have had mild weather in these parts- high of 85 projected today- i don't think we are gonna see 85 more like 82 because of a nice cool breeze
we get our low nighttime temps of 58F  :)
we were at 100F + for over a month, i'm over that-  :(
let's hope we are going into autumn
8 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

4GSR

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »
It was 103 degree F. when I went to town this pass hour.  Tomorrow not much better.
Ken

DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
A beautiful 85 or so today here in northern NV. We were pretty clear from smoke this morning but the wind has blown it in again. Thanks CA. >:(

kvt85

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 09:48:06 PM »
I think my temp gauge has registered over 100 every day this week,   Most over 102,   The official has not had it that hot, but They are a ways away from me.   

SA tx    Its bad enough some times we have diff weather on each side of town.   
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

Jake Parker

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
East Texas weather changes so much, we dont have time to complain! Its been triple digits and dry here,  just how I like it.

2 summers ago it was about 98* when a freak storm came through. The temperature dropped about 20*, and it dumpped 4 inches of hail in about 2 minutes.
10 minutes later its hot and sunny again!

cathead

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »
Finally it rained up here in northern Minnesota, about an inch or so.  It was so dry that the clay
dirt I was working turned to dust and your boots disappeared in the fluff, like I would imagine
walking on the moon.  What a difference a day makes with some rain as far as working in it.

Cathead @ Catwerks