Author Topic: Cut any gear with just a slitting saw  (Read 814 times)

jpigg55

Cut any gear with just a slitting saw
« on: November 23, 2023, 08:56:51 PM »
I found and watched this video while letting my turkey day dinner digest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC-OctJoWv4
The spreadsheet he made is located on his patreon page and is free to download without an account. Here's the link to his patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/posts/61153468
Logan 6560H, SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

4GSR

Re: Cut any gear with just a slitting saw
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 08:05:49 AM »
My little brother does something very similar on the 5-axis CNC mills he sets up new for customers that want to cut gears.  For us not so lucky to own a CNC mill this is perfect method to use next to 3-D printing your own gears. Thanks for sharing. Ken
Ken

jpigg55

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 09:09:55 AM »
I liked the fact he created the spreadsheet that does all the math for you. I thought about just uploading the file here, but thought it may not be exactly ethical even though he offers it completely free for use.

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 10:39:25 AM »
I liked the fact he created the spreadsheet that does all the math for you. I thought about just uploading the file here, but thought it may not be exactly ethical even though he offers it completely free for use.

Agreed!  Let's not upload here.
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 12:49:30 PM »
I had seen that process used before with a few differences, but don't remember just who on YouTube had provided it. Great way to cut a one-off gear.

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »
Do we buy a gear cutter OR buy a slitting saw and ball end mill and do math and turn the dividing head crank a BUNCH of times? Donít know about you but I can see myself screwing up on the bunch of hand cranking and making one little mistake and then itís scrap time.

jpigg55

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 04:45:34 PM »
Do we buy a gear cutter OR buy a slitting saw and ball end mill and do math and turn the dividing head crank a BUNCH of times? Donít know about you but I can see myself screwing up on the bunch of hand cranking and making one little mistake and then itís scrap time.
It's more of an option for a one off gear as the guy in the video and Terry stated. A slitting saw has more uses that a gear cutter.
As for the math, that's why I liked the fact he created the spreadsheet that does all the math. Just input the gear specs and it calculates all the info.

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 11:27:03 AM »
Please donít get me wrong. I totally get it! Itís a GREAT option! The tooth profile will not have correct symmetry and itís labor intensive. But, you can make a gear. And in like my hobby shop world that can be perfect. I have made more than one clock gear/wheel, micro machine gear part and whatever. Most with the fly cutter method and the others with a gear cutter. With Todayís world and the internet. Buying a gear cutter is fairly easy and cheap. Now, if I had a wire EDM, different story! I wonder if I could sneak it past the wife! And if any are thinking the fly cutter method. Itís not a fast process. And your material selection could be hard on your cutter. And a rigid set-up would be nice because of the one cut/rotation. But it also works.

jpigg55

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 07:14:43 PM »
Now, if I had a wire EDM, different story! I wonder if I could sneak it past the wife!
You might want to start planning on how to sneak it past the wife. Seems like a home shop wire EDM might be just around the corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeCxkFVCdM

chips and more

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 01:28:29 PM »
Thatís very clever!