Author Topic: Clausing 8520 knee gear  (Read 1301 times)

4GSR

Re: Clausing 8520 knee gear
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »
For bevel gears, that's not too bad of a price if you ask me.  Yeah, it's pricey, but try to make a set and you'll know why they get that for them.  Being 16 diametrical pitch and a even tooth count, there is a very good chance of matching them up to either Boston Gear or Martin Gear with little modification to them.

jpigg55

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
I'm definitely no expert on gears for sure.
I was trying to see if I could find a bevel gear that would mesh based on the info they gave me. I'm still not sure if I can do that with just the tooth count and diametral pitch they gave me, but  the ones I found that I thought would mesh were about half the price Clausing was asking.
The DIY powerfeed I'm considering would use a planetary gear reducer with a 0.50" keyed output shaft. It would be easier to just buy the 16T gear from Clausing if I knew if the gear would fit the shaft thus ensuring a proper mesh of the gears.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 11:13:21 AM »
Like Ken said, the reality is that those prices are not all that bad. Yes, those numbers provide a little 'sting' but are not really terrible.

It is important to remember that bevel gears require more than just tooth count and diametral pitch to get a properly matching gear. Gear ratio, gear face width, and gear OD are also very important. Those criteria set the tooth engagement angle which is critical.

Based on your statement about proper mesh it appears that you are already aware of those details, but thought I would bring it up for the benefit of others that may not have that knowledge or experience.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:14:56 AM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

jpigg55

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 01:12:09 PM »
Yep, I've been doing a self-taught crash course on gears via Google.
All things considered, I'll probably be ahead to just order the 16T gear from Clausing. I inquired and they responded the bore of that gear is 0.375" so I'd have to bore it out to 0.50" to use the planetary gearbox I'm considering.
I'll have to take a closer look and see if there's enough meat on that gear to ream it out.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 01:12:09 PM »