Author Topic: Peep sight.  (Read 364 times)

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Peep sight.
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
Any one have a peep sight from a Lee Enfield or a Parker Hale or similar peep sight with windage and elevation adjustments?
I'm interested in one for one of my .177 pellet guns.
They're very expensive to buy, so, I think I'd like to add it to my project list.
But I need pictures and details on them. I have to do some reading to better understand how they work Soni can better understand what I need to do to build one.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

Re: Peep sight.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
Any one have a peep sight from a Lee Enfield or a Parker Hale or similar peep sight with windage and elevation adjustments?

Like for a AR-15 ???
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
http://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.htm

Not for an ar 15. The old Lee Enfield rifle sights, or the garand sights.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
Okay, I see now.  I guess from the picture, you could design one to fit your needs.  If you had a CAD program to work with, that would be a easy task to do.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
I've never done cad. Or have the programs. Even those drawings you sent me a while ago, I could never get them to work. The program never worked on my PC.

My issue is i can't find detailed enough pictures to understand it to build it.
So I was wondering if anyone had one to take some detailed pictures.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 12:49:32 AM »
Shawn, you might want to consider just purchasing a set, as there are a number of advantages to doing so.

- Front hood sights come with a variety of aperture inserts which you can easily change in a flash and without affecting the aim of the rifle. Not all targets work well with every aperture.
- The rear sights utilize two dovetails, one vertical and one for left and right. These dovetails are fitted to each other, there are no gibs or adjustments.
- The rear sights also have detents on the adjusting screws. You can definitely feel the detents as you turn the adjusters. Some of them even click audibly.
- The graduation marks for keeping track of rear sight adjustments are very fine and very close together. Getting them correct may prove somewhat difficult.

I've been thinking about purchasing a set of peep sights for my flintlock, and my wife indicated that she would purchase them for me as a Christmas gift this year. So, if nothing else, I can take pictures of them and post them for you, but it won't happen for a couple of months yet.

ON EDIT:  You can find some pretty good photos with closeups available on Lyman's website:  https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/sights.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:12:15 AM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:40:03 AM »
Thanks Terry.
It is a lot easier to actually get going to just buy. I always have these great ideas to build something. I have to be honest with myself sometimes that I barely have the time to pick my nose never mind build something.

I was really interested in the sights on the Lee Enfields. once upon a time they couldn't give those rifles away, now the rifles and sights are very expensive.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

dlane

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
I use Williams peep sight on my pump Sheridan, this one, but my eyes arenít what they used to be.
Derrick

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 05:09:36 AM »
Yeah, that's the stuf!

Hmm, something I hadn't considered... My eyesight also isn't stellar anymore. Even with the open sights on the .177 I'd like to put this on, focusing is a bit of a stretch. But, I'm generally trying to aim on the 30 yard target I use with my .22 Benjamin with a scope. That 30 yards alone is a bit of a stretch for any open or iron sights...
However, that Williams looks pretty simple. what's on the front end of your pump? I may still toy with the idea of building one of these...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

dlane

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
The front blade sight is whatís hard for me to focus on the tip nowadays. It used to be a tack driver when I could see the tip good.
Derrick

Carpenter84

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
How about those neon front sights to use with the peep hole? I only looked at one in a package in the store once, they seem to really grab the light.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:33:03 AM »
How about those neon front sights to use with the peep hole? I only looked at one in a package in the store once, they seem to really grab the light.

The fiber optic or 'neon glow' sights are great for low light conditions when hunting late in the day but may hamper you for most target shooting. I tried a set a few years back on one of my muzzleloaders and they're not so great, at least not for target shooting. They tend to draw your focus to the sights instead of letting you focus on the target.

I find that a rear peep sight with a front aperture sight works very well for target shooting. The front aperture has to be large enough for you to see the bull on the target through the rings. You end up with a sight picture as shown below. Center everything up and you are dead on. Best thing for target shooting in my opinion, short of a scope.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »
Interesting. Thanks, Terry.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.