Author Topic: Hints and tips  (Read 654 times)

woodchucker

Hints and tips
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
Since we don't have a hints and tips section..
I thought I would start a thread.

Tonight while drilling my mill for the last DRO scale I broke a bit in the cast iron. The cast iron was giving me a problem drilling, so I took out a stubby 1/8 bit to pilot the difficult to drill area. in a few seconds it was cutting , then snap..

I tried a cobalt bit, then a carbide bit.. nothing would drill the stuck bit.

I turned to my Hilti and the smallest bit. At first I put it back and thought it would create to big a hole. But after trying other methods, I came back to it reasoning that if it was too big, no big deal, I can fill it with epoxy and redrill and tap since its only holding the scale.  The hilti went through it like butter only a few times did the hammer engage.. Turns out the hole was only slightly over and had enough thread purchase to still work well.

Yea man.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

f350ca

Re: Hints and tips
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
I've reshaped carbide tipped concrete bits to drill hard bolts with good luck. You get the advantage of the hard tip with the luxury of a somewhat flexible body. I've had zero luck using solid carbide drills in a hand held drill motor.

Greg

grumpygator

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
My first go to is Kroil soak and then heat , doesn't have to be flame , a Halogen light will work. Then a center punch sharpened like a chisel and try to back it out. If that don't work then it's a left-handed drill bit. And if that breaks it's off  to my friend with a case of beer and some cash that has an EDM.
 The secret with Kroil is patience. And if the part is rusted a gentle rap with a hammer to brake the bond.
 Heck I have used it to tap holes in sticky stainless steel.
  **G**

cathead

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 05:02:32 AM »

I have had success using a punch and hammer to break up the bit and then using a pick and even air to
remove the pieces.   
Cathead @ Catwerks

dlane

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:22:31 AM »
This would be a useful thread, but thinking it should be in Shop discussion not off topic.
Derrick

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »
Why don't we set it as a sticky at the top of the forum section?
Ken

dlane

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »
Yes tips & tricks or whatever sticky

pep

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »
Cleaning the lead screw, discovered a short cut.

Hosed it down with WD40, sand a paint stir stick to LS gap. Next step is operators choice. I wrap the end with a rag.

Move the carrier down to the tail stock end, crank up the speed, feed and lathe, not ridiculous speed.

Push the paint stick into the lead screw and walk it down to the chuck. Reply the WD and wipe, then OIL not grease the lead screw, grease tends to hold the chips and grunge.

I have been regularly brushing the lead screw off, but this event proved brushing and vacuuming the lead screw in NOT the best practice.

The boot,
Pep

woodchucker

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
8520 Users. Help tramming.
Today I needed to push the head all the way out from the column so I could mill my Grinders Cross Slide.
I tried tramming, but I could not get it on.. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I have been envisioning making a collar to act like a Bridgeport, with a worm.. well no time.. so I came up with something easy. I have a square tube attached to the motor mount, it holds 2 lights, and my DRO head.
I made up 2 steel cables attached a turnbuckle on each and 2 S hooks drilled a hole in the square for the s hooks.. And used an odd clamp.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

34_40

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 05:31:30 AM »
That's pretty clever I think!  I had made a simple "T" bar with 2 indicators but find there is a huge difference in finding zero and then tightening the mount to hold zero.  I have seen some setups that use a worm and gear but I never liked the way they were mounted / secured to the machine.  I may try your idea but use all thread instead of cable...  HMmmmmmm...  8)
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

woodchucker

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »
That's pretty clever I think!  I had made a simple "T" bar with 2 indicators but find there is a huge difference in finding zero and then tightening the mount to hold zero.  I have seen some setups that use a worm and gear but I never liked the way they were mounted / secured to the machine.  I may try your idea but use all thread instead of cable...  HMmmmmmm...  8)

If you do let me know how that works. It's still a chore doing the tramming. And yes, when I tighten the ram, it moves 2thou. So you have to plan.  It still takes time, but it am in control more than not having the system. The threaded rod might actually eliminate stretching.. With threaded rod, how would you marry that up to the turnbuckles?  Direct into the right hand side of the turnbuckle?
Jeff

34_40

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
If you do let me know how that works. It's still a chore doing the tramming. And yes, when I tighten the ram, it moves 2thou. So you have to plan.  It still takes time, but it am in control more than not having the system. The threaded rod might actually eliminate stretching.. With threaded rod, how would you marry that up to the turnbuckles?  Direct into the right hand side of the turnbuckle?

And you identified the 2 problems that I was seeing.  Stretching cable and yes, use the right hand thread straight into the turnbuckle.  But I'm curious if the length changes a lot when moving the head in and out.

woodchucker

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 11:29:43 AM »

And you identified the 2 problems that I was seeing.  Stretching cable and yes, use the right hand thread straight into the turnbuckle.  But I'm curious if the length changes a lot when moving the head in and out.

I would guess that depends on where you mount the end of the rod to on the lower side, and how far out you decide to go on the top side.
Yes it does change. I can't give an estimate on length change..
I remove the setup once I am done. I don't want the hysteresis from a part that might vibrate.
Jeff

34_40

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »

I would guess that depends on where you mount the end of the rod to on the lower side, and how far out you decide to go on the top side.
Yes it does change. I can't give an estimate on length change..
I remove the setup once I am done. I don't want the hysteresis from a part that might vibrate.

I didn't realize that you removed the setup once set.  I hadn't considered any other effect(s).

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
Great idea! Personally, I've not had that much trouble tramming the head on mine, though once in a while I feel like a dog chasing its tail.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!