Author Topic: Please Check Out my Videos  (Read 68 times)

ddickey

Please Check Out my Videos
« on: November 08, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
I also posting this on the other site.
I want opinions if you think this is normal. I was amazed to see how inaccurate a five tenths indicator is compared to a tenths. Setup is exactly the same.
https://youtu.be/ynSLmIF1dCU
https://youtu.be/OgfdSvVZXuU

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Re: Please Check Out my Videos
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
No wiggle in the spindle? Up/down, side to side? I have never put my tenths on my spindle, but I'd wager I'd be somewhat disappointed with that much run-out in a brand new machine...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

ddickey

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
No wiggle. Spindle is locked.
Advertised +-.0001" max runout.
can the two indicators be that much difference?

f350ca

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
The 1/10ths indicator seams sticky, with a ground finish in the spindle I wouldn't expect to see the needle jump the way it does. Or the spindle bearings are rough.
On the 1/10 ths one Im seeing the best part of 3 tenths at the ends of the bounce. The 1/2 thou  one isn't quite reading a full division so say 4 tenths. Thats pretty close.
Defiantly more than the advertised +/- .0001 or .0002 total.

Greg

chips and more

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »
Now you are getting into the metrology of things. It could be a learning curve for some. Please be aware of a possible cosine error. Indicators that do not even show a division are reading in the mud. With the spindle turned off try and crank the handwheel and compare the indicator reading to the dial on the handwheel.

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
Take a piece of 400 grit emery cloth on a stick and polish the taper real good.  Then recheck with the tenths reading indicator you have there and report back.
Ken