Author Topic: Spindle spline  (Read 91 times)

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Spindle spline
« on: November 09, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »
How well does your spindle spline fit into then power head? Is there any play back and forth?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

Re: Spindle spline
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:12 AM »
There's got to be some slop, just for it to operate properly.

I know on my old Index 645 mill, it has lots of slop.  I couldn't say how much is from wear and what it was new.  I've seen about the same on the few Bridgeport mills I've been around over the years, too.

Ken
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »
mine made a lot of noise at first. I changed the belts and it quieted down. There is also a plastic of some sort plug that a grub screw tightens against that helps hold the quill from dropping and helps a little. My 8520 has no return spring like a regular mill.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

chips and more

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
My Bridgeport mill has very little movement when the brake is applied. Is this about the sharper operation I did yesterday? I was aware of the slight play even if the brake was on. So, I made sure the cutting business end of the slot bit was in the datum center of the quill/spindle. So any rotation would hopefully not interfere and it did not. The slot walls were smooth and the width of the slot was the same size as the bit I made. All telling me that the slight rotation my mill spindle had made no effect on the machining technique.

I do remember about 15 years ago when I overhauled the Bridgeport head. That I rotated the spline in its spline hole until I found the best marriage for the least amount of slop. It has been working great with no problems. Also changed all the feed screws and nuts. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE that made!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:52:29 AM by chips and more »

Carpenter84

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
No, not regarding the shaper idea. I've been trying to figure out where various noises are coming from. When I mill, especially an interrupted face mill operation, there's a lot of knocking/banging from up top. The best I can figure is the play in the spline knocking around from the interrupted cut. Once all flutes/inserts engage the machine quiets right down.
I know there is a tiny bit of axial play in the spindle from the retaining nut on top of the bearing assembly in the spindle that doesn't help, but I don't think it's that.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
Shawn,

Most of that noise is coming from the spline.  Not a whole lot that can be done for it other than replacing the internal spline of the unit transferring power to the spindle.  Also, the draw bar can be causing some of this noise, too.
Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:53:30 AM »
I thought so. It's very annoying and loud.

I have that other Bridgeport head and spindle. I may see what kind of play is in there. It's an older head, so who knows. I do not know how worn out it is. My mill is quite worn.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
The draw bar can make noise? If the draw bar is tightened down, how can it do anything to make noise? The spline engagement is one maybe source of noise. And if you have it in back gear, that could make noise. And if you have a variable speed head, the vari-drive can definitely be a source of noise.

4GSR

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »
The draw bar when pulled tight is like a rubber band that is stretched outward.  It still moves sideways in the middle.  The harmonics of the vibration of the face mill is transferred up into the draw bar and causes it to move sideways.  It may only be a half a thousandths, it is enough to add noise to the equation.

chips and more

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:38:56 PM »
Interesting, so Iím guessing it would not be a banging kinda noise? More like a musical instrument noise maybe?

4GSR

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention, also depends on how tight of a fit the draw bar is to the hole in the spindle.  My draw bar is a close fit, and it does bang against the spindle when using a face mill.  Thought about adding some O-Ring grooves, install some O-Rings that would fit with a squeeze when installed, and see if it helps.  I know the hole in my spindle is not very concentric with the OD of the spindle and probably on most spindles everyone has out there.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »
Everything in my pulley drive head makes noise of some kind. It'll all get addresses somehow at some point, but it's the spline banging that's the worst.
So, no way to calm it down at all, huh?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
I started pulling that Bridgeport head apart after fitting the spline in to see how it fit. Seems similar to mine. About the same amount of play. I did notice tho wear. More play where at the top, you mill with the quill all the way up, it's going to wear more there.

Some good things about the head... mostly bad...
The brake seems a lot tighter than mine. So I may be able to salvage that. But a lot of other stuff is pretty locked up.

What's a good method to flush a bearing to get a good proper idea if it's any good without there being any crud in it?

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.