Author Topic: back plate material  (Read 661 times)

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Re: back plate material
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »
Tolerances obviously far farrr beyond the capabilities of my little shop. Haha, one Mr Pete video he had the same mic, he had the last two digits covered with tape.

My shop is capable of tolerances down to .001Ē not likely less (excluding the surface grinder). I need to remember that sometimes...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
Before you loosened the preload nut. Did the headstock bearings get warm when running? There should be no end shake in the headstock spindle assembly. It should be under a slight load. What kind of lathe do you have? Do you have a manual for it? Does it talk about preload adjustment?

Carpenter84

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
It never got warm until one day I was using it a lot, but hadn't oiled anything in a while. So I flooded every area I could. But there really isn't a way to get oil into the spindle bearings properly. Just shooting it into the gap between the spindle and the bearing covers. As well as the pulley on the spindle, which can turn freely for back gears.
Never noticed or measured any axial play.

It's a mysore kirloskar enterprise 10. 10x28. No manual. No idea of pre-load. There's a company in Toronto who claims to have drawings and manuals for the lathe, but want an uncomfortable amount of money for a download...
I've googled a few times before and never found another machine just like it
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 02:44:24 PM »
It never got warm until one day I was using it a lot, but hadn't oiled anything in a while. So I flooded every area I could. But there really isn't a way to get oil into the spindle bearings properly. Just shooting it into the gap between the spindle and the bearing covers. As well as the pulley on the spindle, which can turn freely for back gears.
Never noticed or measured any axial play.

It's a mysore kirloskar enterprise 10. 10x28. No manual. No idea of pre-load. There's a company in Toronto who claims to have drawings and manuals for the lathe, but want an uncomfortable amount of money for a download...
I've googled a few times before and never found another machine just like it

Were you  using back gears when it got hot? Just checking?
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

Carpenter84

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »
I don't think so. That pulley belt gets warm tho. It needs to be retired, but I'm not looking forward to the amount of work it will be to change it. I have been considering a link belt.
I don't *think* I have any bad gears...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »
As long as you can put your hand on it and not get burned, about 110-120 degrees F, the bearings should be fine as long as you squirt a little oil on them every time you use the lathe, or daily.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »
Yea, Iím not worried. The most it ever got was barely luke warm...
Iím gonna get off the taper train tho... I obviously donít have nearly the problem I thought. Iím sure I could correct it, but Iíll work on scraping everything back in first. I think next week I may start going back out at night and get back into the scraping. Get my compound finally done...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.