Author Topic: 3" vise  (Read 1032 times)

4GSR

Re: 3" vise
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2019, 07:20:47 PM »
Don't jack with the JB weld stuff.  Just open it up to the next size thread.  Whats the OD of your pins?

Carpenter84

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2019, 07:24:35 PM »
I have the carbide drill and new taps. If it goes oversize I'll go to 8-32 and if the head size is too big I'll either just deal with it or turn the heads down a tad.

What's your reasons for not using JB weld?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »
Yes, the gun tap feeds the chips ahead and the spiral feeds the chips back out in the rear. And then you have the old 4 flute!! And variations of all of the above.
I think the gun taps are stronger. And in my hobby shop, I donít care about the chips in a blind hole. Have not had a problem. If I have to back the tap out and clean, no biggie, does not happen very often. Canít recall the last time I broke a tap and seeing Bozo show up, knock on wood. I attribute my luck to using gun taps. And I do a lot of micro machining and that means a lot of small threaded holes, Good Luck, Dave.

chips and more

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2019, 07:29:03 PM »
Yeah forget the JB weld stuff. It will just strip out. Maybe Helicoil if you must have the same size thread.

Carpenter84

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2019, 07:34:53 PM »
Oh I'm not going to that kind of lengths. Just curious why not JB.

Just to clarify... I searched my wholesaler (CCS industrial Oshawa) website for gun taps and they just come up spiral point taps. The description mentions they're also refered to as gun taps.

If they are just spiral point, I do have several in different sizes. More recently I had stocked up on spiral flute taps in 1/4-20. Which is probably the smallest tap size I'd comfortably use in the mill power tapping... I wish my mill could switch directions faster. I have to stop the motor, press the brake, then reverse. And it doesn't help that my brake is mostly worn out. I have another brake from an old Bridgeport head, but haven't torn into my mills head yet... Too much like work...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »
Instead of power tapping you could put the mill in neutral. And turn the spindle/chuck with your hand. That gives you a better feel to, for how the tap is doing. Will take a little longer, but better than Bozo showing up.

Carpenter84

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
Yes, I so that too. Mostly, when I'm tapping small taps I use a tap follower in the mill and my tap handle
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2019, 10:24:59 PM »
I got it... It's done... Or course it was an ordeal. Everything with me is an ordeal... I don't want to talk about.

The new dormer taps are leaps better than the previous crap.
Carbide drill... Worked, tip broke off. But sharpenable.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:27:35 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2019, 01:01:27 AM »
Got a lot done tonight.
I think I need to stress that I have noooooo idea what I'm doing.. totally making this up as I go along. Certainly not going to gain any points for building any of this in any normal fashion...

The rolls are mounted. The center roll on the hinge spins beautifully.  Perfect for this application I think. Zero detectable play. The rolls are parallel to .001, but the distance is 5.006" apart. So im over by .006". Absolutely fine for anything I'm doing... lower the bar, Lower the bar!!

Next step will be making the base.
I'm wondering if I should keep the base flat for full magnet contact or give it a 3 point contact surface... Hmm.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
I have not seen a sine vise like this. Normally what I see (remember I'm a hobbiest so limited)  is that the rods are on the same plane. And the rods are the same size to avoid a change in height depending on where the angle is. Now that's not to say for your hinge, you could wind up turning down the larger one to a smaller one to fit into the hinge cups.
But the hinge must be in the same plane as the other round. They must be parallel..
you seem to have parallel, but I am wondering about the same plane.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

chips and more

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
The style of taps I use in my hobby shop. From left to right: gun, spiral and form taps. I have all the flavors, but the three Iím showing you would be my first choice.
If Iím tapping small, I still hold the tap in a chuck and make a few threads to start alignment. Then take the project out and do the finial taping at the bench, for feel. I have not used one of those spring center things in decades. I do not like them, too much play, too much extension crap going on and then you have the tap handle holding onto the square end of the tap. Thatís just asking for misalignment. Material being taped also dictates of course. IE: if Iím working with 12L14 I will probably power tap 6-32 with a gun tap or at least hand tap in neutral doing the complete operation in the machineÖDave.

Carpenter84

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
Spiral point "gun taps".

https://www.ccsind.com/brand-drillco-cutting-tools/8-32%2Cspiral-point-taps/sku-V4676-21a008cp

The only taps I don't have are forming taps.

Woodchucker - when I mount the vise on the baseplate it will look straight. I planned on two things. Milling another shoulder for the hinge to sit in, and making a raised pad with a slot to sit the gauge blocks to sit in. These will make the vise sit parallel with the base and not look crooked.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.