Author Topic: Question: 240v 3phase Ground?  (Read 411 times)

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Re: Question: 240v 3phase Ground?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »
Heres a great explanation...
https://youtu.be/qNZC782SzAQ

Very very interesting... very interesting!!
Thanks for posting that.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
Yeah, Mike Holt will make your head spin trying to understand grounding and bonding. 
I our world, keep it simple and have one point of bonding to the ground rod.  That should be at the meter box where the power comes in to the shop and or house.  You need the one ground rod/bonding point.
Electrical inspectors out there, and not all, think that every machine, piece of equipment, etc needs a ground rod installed.  Don't do it!  Even if you have two separate buildings feeding off the same electric service, don't add a second ground rod for that building. This can be argued on too.  The City of Houston requires a ground rod installed at each machine installation regardless.  I've seen electricians go in and disconnect that ground after the inspector leaves, too.  And I've seen CNC machines go down for no reason and there was a electrical storm three miles away. 
Grounding remains a mystery to me.  I just follow the experts and not look back.
Ken

PJB

Question: 240v 3phase Ground?
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
Lol He is definitely an excitable dude.   I work in the industrial electric heating element, sensor and controls business and subscribe to several  publications such as this one that have tons of good articles and information on the subject.
https://www.ecmweb.com/bonding-grounding/running-contact-voltage-ground
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:29:39 AM by PJB »
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

4GSR

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:16 PM »

Also, trying to understand phase taping. Can I run a hot leg with white in a single voltage 3phase only raceway (black, red, white) or do I need blue. NEC seems to suggest that I can use other colors as long as there is no neutral and no other voltages.

Huge thanks!!
Daryl
MN

Daryl,

Here's a perfect picture at 13:26 on phase taping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjZ5ySblew

They are different between low and high voltages.

Ken
Ken

Uglydog

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »
All,
Thanks for the input!!
I've watched all of the possibly relevant Mike Holt videos while here in the metro where all I can do is load the truck with stuff...
I especially appreciate that he explains "why".

I spoke with my local inspector and am hoping to take finish install early next week and call for inspection on Thursday.
I will take pics on the completed electrical work and of the incomplete shop space.
Hopefully he won't need to come for a second inspection because of changes I may need to make.

Daryl
MN