Author Topic: Indicator crystal  (Read 390 times)

4GSR

Re: Indicator crystal
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Here's where you can go for Federal indicator parts.

https://www.mahr.com/en/Services/Production-metrology/Services---Support/Original-Spare-Parts/

These guys own what is left of Federal.  I'm sure there is a minimum on how much you can buy, I'll be willing to buy several lenses myself if that will help.  I'm sure they offer a assembly for the bezel and lens so you don't have to mess with putting the lens in yourself.

Ken
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
It's very highly doubtful that anyone could just snap in a crystal! That was meant to stay there correctly! You could put a smaller diameter one in and glue it. But the best is to put a crystal in under tension with no glue and for that you need a crystal press or equivalent. And sometimes you need it installed under tension so that the dome becomes higher for clearance. All of this is not rocket science. I think easily done in our hobby shops. If gluing, I would use a UV curing glue…Dave
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:34:50 PM by chips and more »

4GSR

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »
This guy clains to have parts for Federal dial indicators.  This lens may work for your needs.

Take a look at his ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dial-Test-Indicator-Replacement-Crystal-2-04-51-80mm-Fits-Teclock-AGD2/143094007980?hash=item21511148ac:g:BCQAAOSwXHxcCY7Z

Ken
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »
Here's a crystal replacement I just did on a Starrett No. 196 dial indicator.  This was done using a typical acrylic watch crystal I bought off of eBay.  They came in from the UK, I didn't really find anything from USA stock listed that would work.  When received, the one selected fit just perfect, but the raised lip was too high and would not allow the bezel ring to be installed on the indicator properly.  I rigged up a quick fixture in the lathe to face off the raised lip.  Worked perfect after doing that.  The second one I tried did not come out as good.  Have to try again tomorrow.  Here's some picks of what I did.

Ken