Author Topic: Here are my machines  (Read 1035 times)

PJB

Re: Here are my machines
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »

Lookin good Mike.   Are you in a garage, basement or separate shop?   

So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 10:18:02 AM »
Hi PJB,
i have a home shop in a 3 car garage and a shop where i do my regular work.
most of my fun stuff is in my home shop  :D
9 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

gerritv

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »
Mike, awesome collection. Always a machine available to make parts for each other :-)

Re: the Ammco, do you find that it is difficult to get a block squared up in it? I have problems with mine, the problem follows the vice jaws yet on the surface plate everything measures fine. Does the fixed jaw move/contort under pressure?

Gerrit

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
I like those shenwai lathes. The older and the new one. The newer one has a really similar configuration to my MySore 10"
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
Mike, awesome collection. Always a machine available to make parts for each other :-)

Re: the Ammco, do you find that it is difficult to get a block squared up in it? I have problems with mine, the problem follows the vice jaws yet on the surface plate everything measures fine. Does the fixed jaw move/contort under pressure?

Gerrit
hi Gerrit,
the fixed jaws can lift quite a bit.
it you put a brazing rod, or small aluminum rod between your work and the jaw, that will minimize jaw lift.
even after that it is difficult to attain super flat surfaces.
usually it involves shimming the part in specific areas and taking cuts until the desired plane is achieved
9 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
I like those shenwai lathes. The older and the new one. The newer one has a really similar configuration to my MySore 10"
Thanks Shawn
the Shenwai lathes are very well put together. they have their idiosyncrasies but they work very well
i use the heck out of them 😎

MIKE WALTON

gerritv

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
hi Gerrit,
the fixed jaws can lift quite a bit.
it you put a brazing rod, or small aluminum rod between your work and the jaw, that will minimize jaw lift.
even after that it is difficult to attain super flat surfaces.
usually it involves shimming the part in specific areas and taking cuts until the desired plane is achieved
Thank you, that is pretty much my present method. Works well enough for most things, for many operations better than my no-name horizontal mill at the moment.

firestopper

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 09:55:59 PM »
Nice collection Mike.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »
Nice collection Mike.
Thank you Paco,
one of these days, one more of them will run. 🙂

MIKE WALTON

dlane

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
Hi Mike, what size south bend is the second pic, I may have a half nut lever and cam if itís a larger one. If I remember the shaft is .9??
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:13:32 AM by dlane »
Derrick

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 01:14:29 AM »
Hi Mike, what size south bend is the second pic, I may have a half nut lever and cam if itís a larger one. If I remember the shaft is .9??
Hi Derrick,
my machine is an 11" model.
most parts are not interchangeable on my model lathe- kinda like a bastard child
my lever is about 4" long with a 1" center hole if memory serves me right.
i'll take a look in the morning and verify.
thanks  :)

MIKE WALTON

dlane

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
If I remember correctly itís close to 1Ē  .970 sounds close Iíll go dig it out and see.
Derrick