Author Topic: T slot mill  (Read 202 times)

pep

T slot mill
« on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
I have not thought very much about the machining steps for a T slot. Looking at an add advertising mills, I see the picture of a T slot being cut.

Dawns on me, no cutters on the shank, so a T slot requires a minium of two machining processes.

Or am I missing something ?

Bill Gruby

Re: T slot mill
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:16:57 AM »
 You are correct, if no shank cutter you will need two.

"Billy G"

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »
Same for WoodWorking...
And even though Dovetail cutters can cut in one op, the recommended way in ww is to cut the minor with a straight  or upcut tool, then cut the dovetail. So 2 ops as well.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

pep

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
Crazy the way we can stare at the forest and not see trees ... Laughed at myself realizing the goof ..  :)

chips and more

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
Machining “T” slots can be challenging. The slot could need more than two cutter sizes because of the chip load. And it would be a really good idea to have a flood of coolant to wash away the chips/swarf. Or you could have a disaster on your hands. And that’s just a few of many reasons!

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
The last one's I cut in a cast iron table top for a cross slide on a lathe, I used the mister with out coolant.  So essentially, was blasting air for chip removal.  Yeah, they play havoc when they build up chock off the cutter.

PJB

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:35:00 PM »
Haha just got done using a little ity bitty T-slot cutter a few minutes ago to make o-ring grooves.   Much easier doing OD cuts on Nylon vs full diameter buried in steel!   
A technique I have seen on t slots is to go slightly deeper in Z with the initial mill than the bottom depth of the finished slot.   It relieves the center face on the cutter from rubbing.
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.