Author Topic: ER 32 Collets  (Read 429 times)

GNAP

ER 32 Collets
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
When I bought the small Rockwell vertical mill, I decided to go with a ER 32 collet chuck and collets based system, to be my primary end mill holding system. All has been good, I got the collet chuck from LMS and the collets from BangGood. The run out was acceptable (at least for me) and the operational use has been great.

About a week or so ago, I spent about 15-20 minutes, looking for a collet, later found in another drawer, but the delay made me decide to buy an addition/spare set. So my original thought was to go back to BangGood, but I also checked a few other sources. I found a set on EBay (new set), located in NJ, for about the same money, with free shipping. So the same money, free shipping and readily availble, no 3-4 week shipping/arrival delay. So I bit the bullet, my extreme hatred of the evil empire of EBay/PayPal, cause the bile to rise in my throat as I pushed the confirm purchase button, but preservered.

Later that night I got a confirmation and a estimated delivery date of roughly a week. Welp, 3 day later, they arrived from the seller. They appear to be the exact same set I bought from BangGood earlier, I checked the run out on the 4 most used sizes and all were within my acceptable standard.

Then later I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to buy a ball bearing ER 32 nut, I scoursed that out of a company in Colorado, roughly $21 with free shipping. It arrived with in 3 days and I was somewhat amazed, the ball bearing nut actually cut the run out number, roughly in half. I went from an average of .0007”-.0008”, down to .0004”-.0005”, which is better than I expected, from cheap imported collets.

This is sort of like a drug addiction, this morning, I decided to order a set of ER 32 collet blocks (square and hex) and another 2 ball bearing ER 32 nuts.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:40:13 PM by GNAP »
jack

4GSR

Re: ER 32 Collets
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 11:06:27 AM »
Jack,

Can you provide a link on the ball bearing nut?  I'd be interested in buying a couple.

Yeah, I have roughly two sets of ER-32 collets myself. Besides the mill, I have one I use on the 14" Rockwell lathe and one I use on a end mill sharpening fixture.  I love them.

Have on order a R-8 adapter for ER-25 collets and a set of collets.  Likewise, the seller contacted me last night and said his supplier in China screwed up and sent the wrong stuff.  So my order will be delayed seven days for the correct one's to arrive.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »

Then later I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to buy a ball bearing ER 32 nut, I sourced that out of a company in Colorado, roughly $21 with free shipping. It arrived with in 3 days and I was somewhat amazed, the ball bearing nut actually cut the run out number, roughly in half. I went from an average of .0007”-.0008”, down to .0004”-.0005”, which is better than I expected, from cheap imported collets.

This is sort of like a drug addiction, this morning, I decided to order a set of ER 32 collet blocks (square and hex) and another 2 ball bearing ER 32 nuts.
Jack, 4 TEN thousandths? not 4 thou.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

GNAP

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Jeff,

With the standard Starrett indicator, with .001” steps, the needle does not do anything but a slight wiggle. Switched over to a high buck B&S and Intrepid test indicators, I get a slight wiggle of about a little less than 1/2 distance between .000” and .001”, on both indicators.

woodchucker

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
Jeff,

With the standard Starrett indicator, with .001” steps, the needle does not do anything but a slight wiggle. Switched over to a high buck B&S and Intrepid test indicators, I get a slight wiggle of about a little less than 1/2 distance between .000” and .001”, on both indicators.

Excellent... link please.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 12:09:54 PM »
I’m surrounded with toolaholics, LOL! You can’t see me, but I’m rolling eyes and looking in a mirror.

GNAP

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
I’m not sure why I bought another set, I basically only use the 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” and 3/4” collets.

Most of my HSS end mills are from the Korean End Mill Bonanza and have only 2 different shank sizes, all sizes up to and including 3/8”, have 3/8” shanks, everything else up to 3/4” end mills have 1/2” shanks. On the carbide end mills, the cutter size is the shank size.

I have on a few occasions, used stub drills in a collet, but that few and far between.

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
To make a perfectly square block with a hole dead center is not easy, at least for me, in my shop. I wonder how accurate the ER32 square blocks are?

GNAP

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 03:02:13 PM »
To make a perfectly square block with a hole dead center is not easy, at least for me, in my shop. I wonder how accurate the ER32 square blocks are?

Damned if I know, but I’ll find out soon enough.....................
jack

woodchucker

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
Ok Jack, hand the link over ... don't keep it a secret, I want in.
Jeff

chips and more

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »

Damned if I know, but I’ll find out soon enough.....................

Thank you Jack! I hope it’s good news!...Dave

GNAP

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 06:39:12 PM »
I spent the last 2-3 hours, with a bright light, a pick, razor knife, tiny needle nose pliers and a stack of business cards, the set about cleaning every slot in all of the ER 32 collets. The amount of swarf, slivers and slime that came out was amazing. I cleaned all the collets with brake clean, cleaned the slots, did an aggressive bout of high pressure air cleaning, then a shot of rust preservative, then back into the little plastic bag and the collet sleeve.
jack

woodchucker

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:03:57 PM »
yea, I had to do the same with mine. I was amazed at the poor quality of both machining and cleanup.
Jeff

pep

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
Jeff,

Excellent... link please.

Jack got my curiosity aroused.. found it

https://www.shars.com/er-32-ball-bearing-collet-nut

https://www.maritool.com/p1437/ER32-BEARING-COLLET-NUT/product_info.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bearing+collet

Pep

4GSR

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
I wound up buying collet nut from two different suppliers. One of them turned out to be the one that Jack talked about.  Check them out when they arrive.

Ken
Ken