Author Topic: Cutting threads on longish 1/2 steel rod  (Read 80 times)

100LL

Cutting threads on longish 1/2 steel rod
« on: March 30, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »
I need to cut threads on several pieces of 1/2” steel rod, only an inch from the end.  The rod is 48” long.

What’s the best technique?  Long part hanging out and use a steady rest?  Or let it run most of the length through the spindle and stabilize somehow on the backside to prevent whipping around (like a spider)?

Carpenter84

Re: Cutting threads on longish 1/2 steel rod
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Why not just a thread die?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
I need to cut threads on several pieces of 1/2” steel rod, only an inch from the end.  The rod is 48” long.

What’s the best technique? 
Long part hanging out and use a steady rest? 
NO.

Or let it run most of the length through the spindle and stabilize somehow on the backside to prevent whipping around (like a spider)?
Yes, and yes and a stand  if you have one.. use some c clamps clamped to the stand to keep the rod in place.  Like 2 fences trapping it... or if you have it a large v, let it rest in the V. Or cut a V in a 2x4  or 2x6 and mount it to the stand.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »
Why not just a thread die?
1/2 is a bear to cut without a big die holder. Very hard.. if you have a large handle, not so bad... but you still have to keep it straight.. single point, and cleanup with a die makes it much easier.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 12:55:50 PM »
I overlooked the part where the 4' rod is sticking out the rear of the spindle.
Last time I had a long stick out, I just smashed together a quick A frame of 2x4 lumber with a hole in the top for the rod to pass through to not whip. The lumber is nice because it's quick and easy, quiet on the metal and non-marring.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.