Author Topic: Shop Challenge April 2019  (Read 1007 times)

Bill Gruby

Re: Shop Challenge April 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
 I believe the word is "THINK". LOL A random thought would be to hollow it out and make am ashtray. Don't laugh, if yours is the only entry you win. LOL How about machining it into a coffee mug?

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:50:23 PM by Bill Gruby »
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Uglydog

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
I have an aluminum project I need to get done and jt happens to fit the criteria. I'm gonna try to get it done in time. However, I need to get some large round stock first...

Daryl

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

34_40

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »
Ashtray... Coffee Mug.    Interesting concept.  I'll await a round or two - see what comes out of this.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
Hey guys, keep in mind that we will be looking for input from everybody regarding the time frame. My personal thoughts are as follows: For the guys that are retired or semi-retired, I can see where a project a month may be reasonable, and that is what we are trying this first time around. For those of us that are still working, and especially those that are self-employed or those that put in long weeks like I do, I can see where a project every two months may be more reasonable just due to the time factor.

Another thing to consider is that we don't want to "wear it out". After a few months some guys might decide that they have too much going on to participate further. Additionally, who wants to try and get a project with a deadline done during the holiday months of November and December?

It would be nice to hear from the rest of you as to what you think would be a reasonable time frame going forward. Toss some ideas out here and we can always run a poll to let everyone vote on it. None of this is set in stone, so speak up!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
I just realized that the LIKE feature is absent from the Monthly Machine Shop Challenge forum and the posts within it.   Rusty, do you have to turn that on individually for each forum?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:32:46 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 09:34:53 PM »
How about the arm for my wheel dresser.

If you want to enter that, you certainly can. My apologies for not answering sooner. I saw your post several days ago and meant to come back and answer, but is slipped my mind until tonight.   :-[
Terry

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »
I'm really interested in this idea. And normally I'd be all over it... struggling to come up with ideas and all...
So, as underwhelming as this beginning seems to be, I think it would be great for some of you guys who have time to build to build this month. I'll be really interested to see how this turns out and really hope to take part when I don't have quite so much on my plate.
I'd rather this idea not die out right out of the gate.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »
I don't think it will die, Shawn. We might have to coax it along and breath a little life into it here and there, tweaking things as we go until we find the right combination to make it work.

The time factor is why I was thinking that we might have to make it a two month project, and maybe only run it four times per year, maybe more, hard to say what will work best.

Remember, those that are participating don't have to say a word until the last day when they post their entries. I think that the mystery and suspense will only make it better!
Terry

Bill Gruby

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 12:11:51 PM »
 So everyone knows, Terry, can I use a dowel pin for a drive shaft?? I am asking first because a dowel pin is considered to be hardware while a driveshaft is considered a part.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:20:44 PM by Bill Gruby »
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

34_40

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Terry, thanks for the "concept development" participation.  :D  I would like to participate, my shop is very cold come winter time.. and like many I do work sometimes long days / weeks.  So some extra time would certainly help.  Also, for newbs like me, maybe the group could propose an appropriate project for us greenhorns? Something that covers some basics and would help us develop some skill..

It's a thought..  :)
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

jpigg55

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »
You now have just 19 days to enter this contest and complete you entry. Is anyone in???

"Billy G"

I'm not sure 19 days is enough time for me. I have the "ALUMINIUM", I bought a 3 foot piece of 4X4 stock a while back for making a bearing block. I didn't need that much, but with the discount and shipping savings, it was only like $10 dollars more than a 1 foot piece....go figure that one out.  :o :o
Only problem was it felt like my band saw took a week to cut through it. LOL
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 09:55:42 PM »
So everyone knows, Terry, can I use a dowel pin for a drive shaft?? I am asking first because a dowel pin is considered to be hardware while a driveshaft is considered a part.

"Billy G"

The more I've thought about this whole 'contest' the more I've come to realize that building something out of just one material is just not practical. Maybe we should change it from the 'only' material to the 'primary ' material.

I would consider roll pins, taper pins, dowels and the like to be hardware, so why not.
Terry

4GSR

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »
Terry,

I would agree there.  Although, I have a project here that will be all aluminum and held together with flat head screws.  But, if it will help out in with a project, a small part of sort, that is not obvious to the assembly, should be acceptable IMO.
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »
That is my thinking. Not only that, but most projects require more than just one material. Additionally, the different colors and hues of different materials can certainly change the entire look of a project.
Terry

4GSR

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
Here's a preview of my aluminum project.
Ken