Author Topic: Shop Challenge April 2019  (Read 1918 times)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Re: Shop Challenge April 2019
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2019, 01:22:43 AM »

Holy cow!  20 clutch  bearings?  I don't know what you are building with 20 of those, but I'll bet it'll be good!

I might be able to make use of a couple of them, but I am not sure. I had first thought that they were regular bearings.  I'll have to give this a little thought.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2019, 01:33:25 AM »
Terry,

When do we post our finished project?

Ken

Initially I was going to say that you can post it anytime, but instead I will start a new thread on the 26th specifically for posting projects and for posting the voting poll. That will give everyone two days to get their projects posted with at least 3 photos by the end of the day on Saturday the 27th at which time I will create the poll and voting can begin. It would be best for that thread to contain ONLY the project entries and the poll, and no discussion until after the voting is done on the 30th.

I've been giving this contest a lot of thought over the last few weeks and I intend to get some input from everybody as to how many times per year we should do this as well as how long it should last. I am thinking that we might want to consider just four times per year and it runs for three months. This would make way for more in depth projects without a severe time crunch. It may not be as much of a 'challenge' that way, but that's okay. I think it is most important to set it up and run it the way the majority would like to have it. It might take a little while to get this flying the way we would like it.
Terry

Bill Gruby

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »

Holy cow!  20 clutch  bearings?  I don't know what you are building with 20 of those, but I'll bet it'll be good!

I might be able to make use of a couple of them, but I am not sure. I had first thought that they were regular bearings.  I'll have to give this a little thought.

Got 20 cause that's the number he had in the sale. Tell me what you need and I'll get them to you.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2019, 05:59:28 PM »
 ;D ;D   Billy the clutch bearing magnate...     ;D ;D
Terry

NRC57

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 07:15:31 PM »
Terry
Did Saturday the 27th not come or was there no entries?
Nelson

Carpenter84

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »
Ya this kinda fell off the map pretty quick. Lol
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Boy! Did it! 

I'm not going to be able to participate for a few months if it is started back up.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Alright! One skilled contender down! Some of us actually have a chance now. Lol
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
Alright! One skilled contender down! Some of us actually have a chance now. Lol

What do you mean "skilled contender"? ??? ;D 8) 8) 8)
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 04:03:42 PM »
 Last I knew it was a level playing field. No one has the advantage. You all start with the same stuff.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »
Like most of you, I more or less forgot about it. In my last post I did mention that I was looking for input from all of you as to how often we should do this and how long it should run.

Another idea I had was this: The physical size limits of the project would be established as well as a minimum number of individual parts (not counting hardware) that would be required. Materials would be entirely up to the participants. A contest like that would challenge a person's creative thinking to a greater degree yet leave the door wide open as far as possibilities are concerned.

So, speak up guys, what would you like to do?
Terry

4GSR

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 08:53:11 PM »
Can't be any bigger than a 1" cube!!!!!  Have at least one 1/2-13 screw in it, too!!! ??? >:D >:D >:D

savarin

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 05:25:10 AM »
not a 1" cube but 13x1/2" cubes, all holes drilled and tapped m3x0.5 and silver soldered together alternating brass and steel.

4GSR

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 06:31:32 AM »
not a 1" cube but 13x1/2" cubes, all holes drilled and tapped m3x0.5 and silver soldered together alternating brass and steel.

That hurts my worn eyes looking at it. 

Yeah, right, that's where you need to work in that seventh-dimensional world to create and build.  I struggle with just three dimensional stuff!
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »
I donít think there needs to be toooooo many limiting rules, since we do have a pretty diverse membership in the way of experience, abilities, and creativity. Maybe instead of stipulating the material, or size, or quantity of materials, I think maybe it would be interesting if the challenge were if someone listed an object to make, but no further description. Then we see the various designs that come through.
I say this mainly because Iím terrible with coming up with an idea from nothing. I usually need an idea to start with and then my mind can run with it. Thatís my handicap anyways.

The only other rule I think Iíd personally prefer is limiting the use of CNC. I, for one, canít hold a candle to cnc.
My thought anyways.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »