Author Topic: Shapers and planers  (Read 347 times)

Carpenter84

Shapers and planers
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »
Iíve been talking a little bit about the potential of a new shop space for myself, (just gonna take a ridiculous amount of work to get there...) and all the extra room it will provide me. And for some reason Iíve since had a maaaassive new itch for more iron.. could also be due to the owner of the property of this potential shop space/friend having inherited the property from his father and the 25 years worth of auction winnings that came with it. Lots of junk and some nice woodworking iron.

Iíve really been craving a shaper or planer. Moreso a planer for some reason. The longer stroke probably. There are literally zero shapers and planers for sale privately in Canada on any of the buy and sell websites that are popular haha. Not one. I think we may have mr Pete, Adam booth, this old tony, and the like, to thank for that... what comes available is scooped up ultra fast. And for huge amounts of money. A couple of the semi local wholesalers Iím aware of also have neither. Theyíre rare now... Iíll need to search out more machinery wholesalers.

Anyone have a planer? I know a few have shapers. But itís the planers that are drawing my attention for some reason... maybe itís my subconscious desire for pain and anguish  ::)
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

Re: Shapers and planers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »
Iíve been talking a little bit about the potential of a new shop space for myself, (just gonna take a ridiculous amount of work to get there...) and all the extra room it will provide me. And for some reason Iíve since had a maaaassive new itch for more iron.. could also be due to the owner of the property of this potential shop space/friend having inherited the property from his father and the 25 years worth of auction winnings that came with it. Lots of junk and some nice woodworking iron.

Iíve really been craving a shaper or planer. Moreso a planer for some reason. The longer stroke probably. There are literally zero shapers and planers for sale privately in Canada on any of the buy and sell websites that are popular haha. Not one. I think we may have mr Pete, Adam booth, this old tony, and the like, to thank for that... what comes available is scooped up ultra fast. And for huge amounts of money. A couple of the semi local wholesalers Iím aware of also have neither. Theyíre rare now... Iíll need to search out more machinery wholesalers.

Anyone have a planer? I know a few have shapers. But itís the planers that are drawing my attention for some reason... maybe itís my subconscious desire for pain and anguish  ::)

No, I don't, but the planer is a big machine, and is for big work. Not little work.
Maybe you have the Utube aura too.  Imagine trying to put a piece of 4"x4" on the planer. That machine would laugh at that, and then it would say, what do you want me to do with that little piece of shit.

On the other hand the shaper would be right at home with that little shit.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

chips and more

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »
The shaper and planer are in a deeply rooted niche. You have people that love them. People that donít care. And people that would not take them for free with free shipping. As for me, I donít need a shaper or planer. I have had a shaper job or two come up and used my Bridgeport mill as a shaper, worked well. Iím just a hobby shop. Can work around or just move on. 

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:15:51 AM »
I used to have a 6 foot stroke planer years back.  It was old school but got the job done.  Sometimes, I wish I'd had kept it, did come in handy straightening out ways on a machine slide and such.  Didn't do much good on hogging metal like the more modern ones would.  Did get to run a 12 foot stroke Rockford hydraulic open side planer once.  What a dream that was!  That was the good old days.
Ken

n2xd

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
I would love to have a smaller Planner if I could find one. Not all were 8' long. But the smaller ones are even harder to find. I do not need one but then again I do not need my hobby shop either. I do this for the enjoyment. I enjoy all phases of this hobby from the 16" Whipp shaper the CNC converted vertical milling machine. I hope you find a planner that will satisfy your wants.

John

Carpenter84

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »
Maybe you have the Utube aura too. 

Hook, line, and sinker...

The first thing that came to mind was redoing machine ways... Of course that's if the planer/shaper was actually true...

I think moreso it's the idea I will have much more room and therefore can actually CONSIDER the machines I originally wanted but couldn't have due to space. I would have bought the big knee mill (another clone) I had first arranged for, for the same price I bought mine for, but finally came to my senses and realized I would have found myself in a world of hurt when I wouldn't have been able to put it in my garage... I had to explain myself to the seller and keep looking.
I've also started thinking about a bigger lathe. I believe there are still those modern standard 11" & 13" lathes available at H. H. Roberts in Toronto. I emailed them for a prices.

I'm iron drunk!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

34_40

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »
Iron Drunk..   I think we're all guilty of that one Shawn!  :D
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

f350ca

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »
That much more room gets used up real quick when your a tool aholic, Hi my name is Greg.
What started out as a cavernous 24 x 36 shop, now requires major shifting and cleaning to get the truck in on the hoist. For hobby use the shaper makes sense, not fast but virtually unlimited possibilities and dirt cheap tooling. Im what I call an industrial hobbyist, most of my projects are big so I need big machines, started with a 7 inch Logan shaper which quickly became too small, now have a antique 18 inch Peerless, haven't outgrown it yet. Can't say I've ever craved having a planer though. But can guaranty I have no room for one.

Greg

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
I envy where a lot of you guys are in your lives, as far as possessions are concerned. However, in two years I've amassed a respectable amount of tooling, knowledge, ability, and decent machinery, and now planning out a new bigger shop.
So, in 15-20 years, when I'm as young and beautiful as you guys, I'm sure I'll be just as cramped with awesome machinery as you guys too.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »
I know of a fellow that has one, Uglydog knows him too. I've not seen that planer, but I believe Daryl has. So, with a little luck, he will chime in when he sees this thread.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

woodchucker

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
Iwhen I'm as young and beautiful as you guys,
aw shucks  :-[
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

f350ca

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:00:05 PM »
You may get this young Shawn but you'll never look this good.

Greg

Carpenter84

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
No argument.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
 Life is tough Shawn but don't worry, it can and will get worse.

"Billy G"

GNAP

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
Planers and shapers are captivating to watch, that rhythm, the metal curls and the sounds. When I got my Atlas 7B, I was told ďyou can make anything you want, with a shaper, except moneyĒ