Author Topic: Need some help on my compressor .. valve  (Read 266 times)

woodchucker

Re: Need some help on my compressor .. valve
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »
Need some more help, I want to replace the end plug on my compressor tank. I want to put my output off this. I can't find a plug, I don't know what to call it. I tried plumbing, I looked up compressor manuals...

I tried cast iron plug, cast iron cleanout ... cast iron pipe cap. compressor air output , tank output

The plug is 1.75 " with 11.5 tpi  probably some NPT form. I would need a plug with a external hex and either bored for 3/8 or 1/2 npt or I can do the work, as I have the taps for that.

What's it called, where can I source it?
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 11:43:45 PM »
Picture?

All of the tank ports are plumbing npt fittings. If the homeless despot doesnít have anything try a plumbing wholesale. They should have the bushings big enough.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:46:27 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 12:02:14 AM »
Further investigation tells me itís 1-1/2Ē npt pipe size.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
Thanks. that helps.

I forgot I did try bushing but the 1.75 may have been my problem.. so 1.75 is really 1.5 in the pipe world.. that makes sense.. maybe  ::)
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 08:54:18 AM »
Seems to be. Theres no 1 3/4" pipe size. It goes from 1 1/2"-2". The 1 1/2" is something like 1.66"+
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »

Jeff, if you ask for a  "1-1/2 by 1/2 hex pipe bushing" or "1-1/2 by 3/8 hex pipe bushing" at your local hardware store, they should be able to help you find what you need.

What pressure do you carry on your air compressor?  If you happen to have a two stage compressor that is running 175 PSI, standard pipe fittings may not be appropriate as most of them are rated for a maximum of 150 PSI. Hardware stores and the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot are only going to carry the low pressure fittings. Most pipe fittings will have their maximum pressure rating cast right into one surface. Hex bushings like you are looking for often have the pressure stamped into the face of the hex end and it will be shown as "150 WOG"  or   "175 WOG".     WOG stands for Water, Oil, or Gas. They are often rated a bit lower for steam due to the elevated temperatures.

McMaster-Carr has the item you need right here:  https://www.mcmaster.com/44605k715  but will probably be more expensive than your local hardware store, especially after you add shipping. But, theirs is rated at 175 PSI just in case you need the higher rating.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

woodchucker

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 05:28:04 PM »
100lbs Terry, so not high.

I think running it out the tank end, with 1/2 will give me more pressure , I have 3/8 lines w/ 1/4 fittings.. I may replace my 3/8 line to the garage with 1/2 and putting the output on the tank will let me get the most from this.
Jeff