Jack screws by Woodchucker
1 (12.5%)
Punch stand by 4GSR
3 (37.5%)
Riser fixture table by PJB
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: May 02, 2019, 06:27:37 AM

Author Topic: April 2019 Shop Challenge entries  (Read 650 times)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
April 2019 Shop Challenge entries
« on: April 26, 2019, 11:30:38 PM »
Okay everyone, our first shop challenge project is drawing to a close very soon.  The contest closes for entries on Sunday night, April 28th, we'll say at midnight CDT, so about 48 hours and 30 minutes from now. At that time a poll will be added to this thread where members can vote for their favorite project.

Those who wish to enter should reply to this post with their entries. Each entry should include at least three photos of the finished project, but more is okay. Describe your project and even include some build details if you wish.

This thread is now open to discussion .

Once the voting poll is created Sunday evening, any member can vote for his or her favorite project. Voting will remain open until 10 PM CDT the evening of Tuesday, April 30th at which time the poll voting results will be published for all to see. I would let voting go until midnight, but I gotta get up at 5 AM on Monday, so 10 PM will be late enough.

Good luck to our entrants, we are all looking forward to seeing what you've created.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:48:33 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

woodchucker

Re: April 2019 Shop Challenge entries
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
I needed Jack Stands, every time I needed one, I cursed the fact that I hadn't made one.
So while I couldn't think of something to make for the challenge, I realized it was time to make at least one jack.
Ideally it would have been made out of steel, and I have a better idea, but with ALuminum the design had to be stout enough to support weight. The only item not AL is the screw.  More shots here https://imgur.com/a/o8TTfu2

My perm locktite was not holding, so it must have been too old.
I resorted to a pin and some jb weld to hold the jack landing on. The pin is vertically oriented I took a small mill and cut away some thread, then drilled the two while assembled and glued the landing on and the pin.

A staged use.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:57:39 AM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »
My entry is a punch stand based off of the Starrett display that used to be found in many hardware stores, automotive shops, and machine tool suppliers in the first half of the 1900's.  I vaguely remember seeing one at a automotive supply shop in the town I grew up in around 1960, probably still in diapers back then.  Attached are pictures of the one I built, along with a picture of the Starrett display stand and also a pdf of the drawing I made mine from in case someone wants to make one for themselves.  If someone decides to publish this, please give me credit for this!

Ken 

PJB

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
Riser Fixture Table for my Tormach Mill

Awhile back I designed and built a riser fixture plate for 3D contouring modelling board in our foundry's pattern shop at work.  Previously we screwed the block of material to a wooden spoil board but the method has several drawbacks I won't go into here.

It worked so well I decided I could use one for my home shop so that's what I did. 
The side jobs I take on frequently involve contouring work, tooling for packaging and container decorating machines etc, that requires machining around the entire periphery and down to the parting lines at angles and no easy way to hold using hold down clamps, vises, dovetails, etc.   
The downside to this work holding method is the part needs to have a couple #10 or 1/4-20 threaded holes put in the bottom side to secure it to the plate on spacers.  90% of the parts I make this is not an issue.  A few bonus features to make the next guy scratch his head sometimes is a good thing!

Why the "riser" part and not just a plate. 
- I can leave the vise mounted and save the hassle of removal and re-indicating.
- Doing multiple parts, allows access to the SHCS from underside for insertion, tightening and removal.

Why thru holes and not tapped holes? 
- Many 3D parts I do are surfaced 100% on the top side so no place to run thru holes on the part.
- If thru holes are possible as on the part shown below, I use a nut washer on bottom side no problem.
- I don't like keeping threaded holes clean.  Plugs caps are a PITA IMO.  Thru holes don't strip or wear out.  YMMV.

I did not document each and every step but here are a few I took of the build process.   

I want what yooz gots

PJB

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
More Photos

I opted to only drill a minimal hole pattern until the need for more is required.  Keeping my options open.  I put a (0,0) locating pin for future indicating.
The plate I bought was a remnant from Alro Steel so its larger than my CAD design shown.  Decided to leave it as is again just to keep my options open. 
This fixture is mainly for cutting plastics and aluminum so rigidity is not a huge factor.   Also not for dead nuts accuracy.  For my non space shuttle work its fine tho.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:06:37 PM by PJB »
I want what yooz gots

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:40:35 AM »
Good morning everyone. The April 2019 Shop Challenge project has come to a close, no further entries will be accepted.

Voting for your favorite project is now open for three days at the top of this thread. Each member can vote for his or her choice.
  • Each person may vote only once
  • You may change your vote at any point until voting closes
  • Voting results will be displayed when voting closes on Wednesday morning.
  • No discussion is allowed in this thread until voting has closed. Please hold your comments until then.
Thank you to our three participants, all of the projects entered at first class. Thanks in advance to the members for voting as well.
Terry

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:42:15 PM »
Congrats to PJB for his winning project. He gets to choose the details for the next contest.

This thread is now open for comments if anybody wishes to engage in any discussion.
Terry

PJB

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:36:47 AM »
Ok.   How about projects “made in your shop for SWMBO”  it could also be for a friend or other family member.   

Here is a simple magnetic cell phone mount I made for wifes car.   The dashboard had no flat surfaces or good places to mount the disc magnet directly so I cut a curved standoff spacer that positioned the phone conveniently.    She was very happy.   Not a common thing with me

I made several 1=1 scale prints to cut out and gauge the curve at the spot on the dash where the mount would go.
After a dozen trips back and forth to the garage I finally was satisfied with close enough!

I want what yooz gots

4GSR

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:53:09 AM »
I started to change my vote to create a tie for first place. ;D :o Waited too late to do so..........
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
I started to change my vote to create a tie for first place. ;D :o Waited too late to do so..........

[/size]So, you can be a little conniving from time to time... ;D

I first wondered how you could have known that you could create a tie but then realized that other moderators would be able to see the results while voting was open even though the general membership could not.

Doggone kids these days. Gotta go through and child proof the place.  ;D
Terry

PJB

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
So what was the voting participation like anyway?  I dont see the results probably because I use the dreaded taptalk app on my phone.  I may log in on pc at work it probably shows there.  didn’t vote in the poll either felt kind of cheesy voting for oneself like politicians do hahaha!   
But its all for fun and to get people to post stuff.
I want what yooz gots

Bill Gruby

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
Vote for the project that you think is best
Jack screws by Woodchucker
1 (12.5%)Punch stand by 4GSR
3 (37.5%)Riser fixture table by PJB
4 (50%)
Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: May 02, 2019, 06:27:37 AM

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

4GSR

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
Had I voted for myself instead of PJB, itwould had been a tie. :-[
Ken

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »