Author Topic: Indicator love  (Read 795 times)

Carpenter84

Re: Indicator love
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 07:06:54 PM »
For starters, I would just put water in the tank. And add a few drops of dish washing soap. The soap changes the specific gravity of the water so it’s not so hard on the transducers. Then you can put smaller jars with cleaner and parts to easier handle in the UC…Dave

I've seen Stefan gotteswinter do this. He says it's so he doesn't waste so much expensive solution.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »
Zip Lock bags full of solvent work too.

Greg

chips and more

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
I don’t know who or what Stefan gotteswinter is? I have been doing it this way for decades. For me, when you have a cleaner solution, rinse solution and lube solution it makes life much easier to just take out a jar instead of doing the whole tank.

Carpenter84

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »
Sorry, lol. He's a very talented German machinist on you tube. I've learned a lot from him. Made a few of his projects too. The surface guage/squareness comparator I build was his design.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
Figured out some off the issues with the Starrett 196. I should have gotten it cheaper...
There's a screw missing from that bridge plate. And where the plunger engages spiral pinion is very rough. So, galled probably. Will need to be replaced.

I did get an ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon. Cheap junk. Kiiiinda works. They're sending me a new one. I think it's faulty.
I took apart, cleaned up, and oiled my federal 1" x .001 larger dial indicator. That moves nice and smooth now.
Cleaned up and oiled my .250 x .0005" indicator. Still has no crystal but it's nice and smooth now.
But this Starrett 196 will need parts. Not sure where to get them.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
GOOD JOB! That 196 has a very radical ramping mechanism. If you are testing it dry, it will act sticky. Try a small dab of good grease on it. And also oil all the pivots. Do not oil/lubricate any gear teeth. The screw can be made. You have a sample. Yeah, I known. How can I make something I can hardly see? Surprise yourself! I make small screws all the time. The one you need would take about 5min. Maybe 6 for you ;D The screw driver slot could be a bummer ??? There are special files to do it. Or a slotting saw. Maybe take a knife blade, notch it and run it across the head? It’s just a little slot. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:22:34 PM by chips and more »

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »
Ok. I'll try the grease. There's spindle oil on it right now. Wasn't enough.
I'll have to see what the thread pitch is. My lathe will go to a pretty high pitch. 56 or something like that.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
The length of the screw is so short that you can probably get away with the correct pitch or close enough. I would make the thread and the angle and leave it on the end of your stock. Use the stock as a tool and also to keep track of that little part you are trying to make. If the threads are not perfect work it in and out. If the screw you are making is steel? I think the 196 body is brass? It will give in with finesse.

4GSR

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
Shawn, I have a 196 parts indicator here and I'm pretty sure I have that screw.  Send me a PM with your shipping address and I'm get it in the mail to you.  I'm finish with rebuilding any 196 indicators!  Have around six of them, don't need anymore.

4GSR

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 05:40:31 PM »
Shawn, if you use any grease at all, use a dab of Vaseline petroleum jelly. 

Remember, Starrett does not lubricate these indicators at all.  A far as that goes, none of the Starrett indicators are oiled or greased when they leave the factory.

chips and more

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »

Remember, Starrett does not lubricate these indicators at all.  A far as that goes, none of the Starrett indicators are oiled or greased when they leave the factory.
Ken, I have heard about the controversy on whether or not to oil the plunger? But no oil on the pivots inside the housing? Did this news of no oil/grease come from Starrett’s mouth?...Dave

4GSR

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »

Ken, I have heard about the controversy on whether or not to oil the plunger? But no oil on the pivots inside the housing? Did this news of no oil/grease come from Starrett’s mouth?...Dave

All of the fairly new Starrett dial indicators I've had the backs off of or like the 196, taken apart, there is no sign of oil, grease used.  I know I'm half blind in one eye and don't use the other, but you usually can tell if lube was used.  Now, if they used clock oil and put a minute drop of oil on the brass bearings or the spiral shaft, that is possible, but should be signs of something has been oiled.

I know for a fact, the old 3 in 1 oil will gum up an indicator in a heart beat regardless how it was oiled. 
Over on the PM forum, one of the experts said that Starrett used to soak the parts in Naphtha to clean and lubricate with.   Make sense, never tried it.  Even the Starrett Tool & Instrument oil is to heavy to lubricate a dial indicator with.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
So, no lube?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »
I use watch oil, even lighter than clock oil.

Greg

4GSR

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 09:42:15 PM »
Put some Naphtha in your sonic cleaner soak and clean.  As I mentioned, the Naphtha will lubricate the bearings and spiral.  If you want to use a little oil, and I'm not against it, do what Greg recommended, watch oil.  Yeah, I thought the two, clock oil and watch oil were the same.  Of course, I'm not a watch maker or clock maker, and just guessing at how to fix them.  I'm used to 5 gallon buckets of down hole grease and 5 gallon buckets of different oils I'm around and use.
Ken