Author Topic: Indicator love  (Read 794 times)

Carpenter84

Re: Indicator love
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:25 AM »
Iíll look for some naphtha.
Is it sometimes called anything different?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 07:06:21 AM »
Naphtha is the fuel for lanterns and camp stoves Shawn.

Greg

4GSR

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »
Should be able to find it in the paint department at you local box store.

I'd advise to use it in a well ventilated area such as outdoors since it is flammable.  A place I worked at we had a HF cleaning tank filled with Naphtha kept out in the warehouse.  I used it several times cleaning machine parts in it, worked great.  I'd b very cautious using it in a ultrasonic cleaner, it may not like it and flame up on you.  Just saying.

Ken

chips and more

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »
So many different ideas going on, this is good. I have been into antique horology for over 50 years. I remember one method/trick that has stuck in my brain. It was to put a little open flask of kerosene in the clock case. The thinking was, as the kerosene evaporated inside the clock case, it would lubricate the clock movement. I have not done this. Just putting it out there. As for what oil to use. It can get mind boggling. Especially with people and fake news trying to sell their products. As for what cleaning stuff to use? Again, everybody has a recipe. I totally understand that you are not set-up to tackle cleaning indicators on a daily basis. That said, Letís try and use what you have on hand to gitter done. I would spray the movement with WD40 (yeah I know, that shit). But it does remove grime. Then spray the movement with alcohol. This will remove the WD40 shit and whatever else. Do we lubricate? Or do we not lubricate? That is the question??? If it was my indicator I would lubricate the thing. Some of the pivots inside, spin at a VERY FAST rate. And you have metal to metal contact parts. I have seen with my own two eyes, pivots shear off because of no oil. I have said enoughÖDave

Carpenter84

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 11:40:33 AM »
Okay. Lots of info.
I know I can get naphtha locally.
The clock/watch oil, that I'm not sure.

Is the spindle oil I tried not good enough?
How about silicone oil? It's very light weight.

What about the rough pinion? It has oil on it now. And it's still rough.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
if the pinion is rough, not much you can do for it.  you can try to polish the journals and if you have a very fine wire brush wheel you could try it.  You are talking about something that is about .060" in diameter and about .310" long.  I have an extra but the stem the pointer goes on is broken off making it junk.  :-[
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 12:48:59 PM »
I did a 196 about a month ago. It also had the sticky plunger syndrome. At first I just oiled the pivots and the plunger mechanismÖstill sticky. Tried ďsome greaseĒ, still sticky. Then I tried Super Lube synthetic grease and the sticky problem went away. Thatís my story and Iím stickying to it LOL.

chips and more

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »
This Super Lube synthetic grease w/ PTFE that I mentioned is kinda new to me. I own a lot of Levin machinery. The company used a grease that is no longer available. Only one substitute is on the market??? And itís goofy priced!!! But Iím a sucker with no brains, so I have been using this goofy priced grease. And to be honest, I donít see the big deal about this grease, maybe even have some complaints. So lately, I have been hobby shop testing this Super Lube stuff and so far so good. For me in my shop itís doing a much better job than the goofy grease and at a fraction of the cost. Itís also food grade, that says a lot for Calif standards! Maybe I can eat it, if Iím hungry?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:17:44 PM by chips and more »

Carpenter84

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
My second ultrasonic cleaner came. Works much better than the first. Was able to use it to clean the bigger federal. Lots of oil and gunk came out. Used some spindle oil on the "jewels", and the tinyest amount of of high tack grease where the little peg rides in the groove. It move nice and free, but doesn't always return to exactly zero... But this was after losing one of the bezel screws, struggling through making a replacement... (My eyes are getting really bad!), Cleaning it twice more because I don't have the right cleaners or oils for this... So I stopped before I ruined the whole thing...

The 196 on the other hand... It's missing a bridge screw as mentioned, and the other screw seems stripped. That bridge keeps coming loose allowing the pinion to come out of its bore. So, I promptly put it back in its case with all its parts... Ken is sending me some screws. I'll see what works. If nothing, I may actually send this to Starrett and pay the $150 I'm sure it'll be to fix. Or, I sell this one for parts at a huge loss, and find another one.....  :-\
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
Im guessing spindle oil is thicker than watch or clock oil Shawn. Wouldn't be using grease either.
Think this was the oil I bought some time back.
https://www.amazon.ca/Jewellers-Tools-Lubricant-Servicing-Repairing/dp/B017QDR358/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=watch+oil&qid=1558389234&s=gateway&sr=8-8
Unless there's a lot of sentimental value in that 196, KBC Canada has them for $158, hardly worth repairing, and this coming from the man who repairs everything.

Greg

woodchucker

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »
Im guessing spindle oil is thicker than watch or clock oil Shawn. Wouldn't be using grease either.
https://www.amazon.ca/Jewellers-Tools-Lubricant-Servicing-Repairing/dp/B017QDR358/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=watch+oil&qid=1558389234&s=gateway&sr=8-8
Unless there's a lot of sentimental value in that 196, KBC Canada has them for $158, hardly worth repairing, and this coming from the man who repairs everything.

Greg
That watch oil looks like it might be a pure mineral oil.
Send it to Mark R. it will cost you approx $45 us.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »

Greg

Not sentimental at all... Just cost me more than I'd like to admit.
I'll see how things go when some screws arrive.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
If that bridge does not have both screws and properly tightened. The indicator guts will most likely give you that binding feeling. The bridge must be screwed down correctly before you can assess.

Carpenter84

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
I concur.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.