Author Topic: Product Review ER32 Block SET  (Read 452 times)

chips and more

Product Review ER32 Block SET
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »
So, if you don’t feel like reading the whole thing, I can sum it up in three words …They Are Junk! Got them on Fleabay from China. Advertised as hardened tool steel and seller has pics showing surface ground finish. The ones I got are butter soft and do not have a surface ground finish. And to really make them junk, the concentricity error was terrible, .35-.5mm. Seller has no mention of any kind of accuracy statement. I should have known better with the vague description and coming from China. I contacted the seller, will see what happens, I don’t want these things.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:36:43 PM by chips and more »

Carpenter84

Re: Product Review ER32 Block SET
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »
Dave... What's that funny symbol after your measurements? Kinda looks like a pair of m's... Were you scaling the blocks with chocolate M&M's? I haven't heard of anyone using that unit of measurement before...

Seriously... It really does suck when an item arrives garbage. I suppose for the prices it wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't take 40 days for them to arrive...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
The mm is millimeter. Sorry, don’t know any different. Being in the States and from long ago, LOL. I’m an inch not a metric kinda guy. So in inch, that would be 0.015” and 0.020” respectively. And they were 40 bucks for both. I could save the square one. But the hex one does not have enough meat on it. The price would have been great if they were good. But all they are to me is a headache. The caution here is, when you read an item description from Overseas (maybe from anywhere), read between the lines! And if the pic(s) are going to be a stock photo. They don’t mean squat as to what you are going to receive!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:49:18 PM by chips and more »

woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
I ordered 2 from Little Machine shop. They are marked HHIP if I remember.
not perfect, but good enough for me.

$40 for both is a steal. I paid about $40 a piece.

If I am in .001 I am happy. I didn't check mine, but for what I am using them for they are fine. If I need finer, a spindexer would probably be the way to go.

I don't think of them as precision blocks.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

ddickey

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
How did you measure them?

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »
The error was so bad I did not get overly anal about it. So, I was not looking for tenths, if you know what I mean. I just set-up an USA made collet and ½” dowel pin in the blocks and went over to the granite surface plate with one of my Interapid indicators and took some measurements. What caught my attention, I first put the hex one in my lathe that has a 3 jaw chuck and my jaw dropped and lots of those words came out of my mouth!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:33:18 PM by chips and more »

34_40

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »
Great thread! Real world evaluation offering an honest opinion of good and bad tools helps guys like me.

Also I have been examining the very first picture and realize I need to see more of what I assume is a Ames Micrometer.  It looks like it has a built in magnifier to read the thimble, is that correct?  Could you show another picture of that one? Please.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

woodchucker

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
So I just measured mine from LMS.
The square block 3 sides under 1/2 thou.. the last side 4 thou off.
those were measured at the collet. I noticed that further out it was further less off, so it's not parallel to the sides.

The hex  3 sides dead nuts. 
2 sides 1 thou
1 side 1.5 thou
Parallel..

So I think its the luck of the draw. I don't think it's a highly precision tool, I think it's good for rough work, not for chucking, although I could chuck the hex.
LMS sells HHIP units btw.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

4GSR

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:11 PM »
I wondered about the accuracy of them chucks.  I need to drag out my 5C collet blocks and check them and see how close they are. 8)
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
So I just measured mine from LMS.
The square block 3 sides under 1/2 thou.. the last side 4 thou off.
those were measured at the collet. I noticed that further out it was further less off, so it's not parallel to the sides.

The hex  3 sides dead nuts. 
2 sides 1 thou
1 side 1.5 thou
Parallel..

So I think its the luck of the draw. I don't think it's a highly precision tool, I think it's good for rough work, not for chucking, although I could chuck the hex.
LMS sells HHIP units btw.
Jeff, thank you for your update! I’m not sure, but I think you’re your blocks are from a different factory in China or at least from a different section of the same factory? Your blocks have a (surface) ground finish, mine do not. Mine just have the raw stock look, not precision at all. LMS claims a grind to 0.0005”, whatever that means? Sounds like even your blocks are not to spec? But yours are light years better than mine!...Dave

chips and more

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 09:48:56 PM »
Great thread! Real world evaluation offering an honest opinion of good and bad tools helps guys like me.

Also I have been examining the very first picture and realize I need to see more of what I assume is a Ames Micrometer.  It looks like it has a built in magnifier to read the thimble, is that correct?  Could you show another picture of that one? Please.
It’s not a micrometer, it’s an Ames “hardness” tester. Nice little handheld gadget. It does have a serious drawback because of its size and what you can and cannot check hardness with it. Only had one time when the project was too big for it. I made the project and also a small sample of the material that fit the tester. Heat treated everything and used the small sample as my reference for hardness. Not the best way to do it, but it worked out OK.

GNAP

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
Damn, I need a set of them

chips and more

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »
I wondered about the accuracy of them chucks.  I need to drag out my 5C collet blocks and check them and see how close they are. 8)
Yeah Ken, I have several of those 5C block sets. Got them decades ago. Use them all the time. Never checked them but have noticed from use they are dead nuts or close to it. They were an excellent Import product with great quality and price, I could not make them for the same money. I have a pile of er32 collets. Thought, what the hell and get some blocks for the collets I have. And with the good history of my 5C blocks (bad thinking) I figured the ER32 blocks would be just a nice…WRONG!…Dave

4GSR

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
In my case, I have many sizes of 5C collets but the limitation is the range of one collet.  It's not versatile as the ER collets are.  So far, the few times I've used them I had the correct collet to use in it.  I'll have to check the runout on them, be easy to do with the surface plate and height gage.  Still tempted to buy a set for the ER-32 collets I have on hand.  Just finding the right ones to buy.
Ken

ddickey

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
Out of town right now but I plan on checking mine also. They are supposed to be ground on the bottom as well.