Author Topic: Response to Chipwelder's post in "What do you think"  (Read 462 times)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Response to Chipwelder's post in "What do you think"
« on: May 12, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »

This thread is derived from this thread: "What do you think?"   https://www.machinistgazette.com/index.php?topic=1521.15
Due to it being somewhat political in nature, I put this post here instead of in the original thread, especially since it is not really part of the original topic.

Last year a Somali semi took out My Tacoma, same deal, hit the blinker and magically a semi-shaped hole is supposed to appear. He HAD insurance for the month of January only. Thought They covered the rest of the year for free. Trooper let Him skate. A Gal stopped as a witness or I would have been cited. My insurance took the hit and ruined My record.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident, Chipwelder.  Many of the immigrants of the last few years (not just Somalians) have taken to driving truck because it appears to be very lucrative and doesn't require much physical effort. They are easily talked into lease/purchase programs where the cards are stacked heavily against them because they don't understand that two or three dollars per mile is NOT all theirs to keep. They sign contracts not knowing what they are signing only to find out that their income is NOT wages and that they now have large loan payments on trucks that are already worn out and should be scrapped. Most of them don't want to drive more than 250 or 300 miles per day, Monday through Friday but then don't understand why they aren't making any money. Those that have to stop and pray several times per day don't get anything done at all because they are always stopped somewhere. If the wheels ain't turnin', you ain't earnin'!

Law enforcement personnel often avoid doing commercial vehicle inspections on immigrant's trucks for a number of reasons. One is the language barrier. Secondly, the immigrants have learned to start arguing with the officer and as soon as the officer starts to threaten further action, they all claim racial discrimination.

I have a neighbor who moved here from Nigeria. They are wonderful neighbors, and we get along well with them. Their kids have needed a "talking to" a couple of times (nothing serious), but they are behaving much better now. Coming to America was a big change for those kids from what they were used to and it has taken a little time to learn how to be respectful and not so wary of neighbors. Their parents are very polite and respectful at all times. They came here because Nigeria has a strong heritage of slavery, even today, and they want better for their children. Anyway, the man of the house (I cannot pronounce his name) has a decent job as a computer programmer and is very soft spoken... until you mention Somalians. He claims that Somalis are so lazy that nobody even wants them as slaves. He claims that they are hated throughout Africa. Anyway, this laziness claim explains why they want to be truck drivers: They think that they just sit behind the wheel for a few hours each day and then go home. Easy as can be!  Once they get under contract for a lease purchase program, they find themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place and most of them fail within a few short months. But, for every one that fails there are three more willing to give it a try, usually with the same results. Meanwhile, the companies that own those old trucks are making money off the immigrants through exorbitant payments and fees, just to sell the truck again to some other unknowing individual after they repossess the truck. In addition, these companies can legally continue to chase down those that default and seek court judgements against them.

You almost never see any of them eating in a truckstop restaurant, probably because they cannot afford to. It is just as well since most of them treat the waitresses as though they are dirt. Some will even refuse to be waited on by women and will sit in a male waiter's section if possible. They never tip, and are not afraid to walk out on their bill either. This isn't just the Somalis or other Muslims, either. The Russian immigrants are just about as bad. They are just as rude but have a better grip on the English language.

Keep in mind that not all immigrants are so terrible, regardless of where they are from. There are some that have come here and want to make the best of their opportunity, much like my neighbors from Nigeria. We have a Russian family on the other side of the block, and they are the perfect neighbors as well. Friendly, always willing to help, and their children are some of the best behaved kids I've seen in years. Ilya (the husband) was born here in the US, but his wife emigrated here as a teenager. He and his parents speak very good English and are down to earth people. She is learning English, and is getting better all the time. Their families came here (like many Russians) to escape the corruption that exists in their home country even after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Having immigants from different countries as neighbors has given me a far greater appreciation for what we have here in the USA and Canada, and a greater desire to see it continue as the great country that I grew up in.

Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

Re: Response to Chipwelder's post in "What do you think"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
When I worked in my first factory, after a few years I was the leadhand of my shift. I'd often have to load and unload trucks on afternoons while keeping my line running (as well as 4-5 employees on that line) I've had more than enough encounters with foreign drivers. They enter the country, take the weekend course, pay their $5000, get handed the keys to a 53' full size sleeper... Waiting for them get the damn trailer on the dock was infuriating sometimes. Only in the summer could I see the dock from my operating station on my line, as there was an old bay door, perpendicular to where the trucks park that we'd open for air flow. All the rest of the seasons I'd have to run out to the dock to see if they're finally parked yet. Sometimes 6-7 times...

One time while training a new operator (usually the only time I was ever able to get away from my line for an hour or two to take care of other tasks), I waited 45 minutes for a short Chinese dude to park his truck. In and out then back in, then out, try again... I opened the bay door and sat on the dock and waited for him. The very dock he was supposed to park in.. legs dangling over the dock plate... No fear or risk of him crushing my legs because he never got damn close enough!

We had a day runner from a company we had a contract with. On occasion he'd bring a trailer back in the evening, park it, then go home. This particular evening was one of those. He flew past the small Chinese man in his day cab/53', spun it around in our small lot, slammed it in an adjacent bay, and was done. As he got out I yelled at him from my sitting position on the plate. "Earl! Can you park this damn truck already!!?!".

He walked over, kicked the front fender to get the guys attention to not run him over. Opened the drivers side door, I could see him yelling but I couldn't hear. Pretty much Grand Theft Auto'ed the guy out of the cab, jumped in. Peeled out of the lot, left the small Chinese man standing there in the wake of his dust cloud (lots of dust when his foots down in what I could only imagine was 5th gear. Peeled out of our lot and around the corner (our street was a dead end with enough room to turn around) ten seconds later, flew into our lot, still in the same gear. covering all our vehicles with dust (earls favorite game.....  ::)) Flew past the dock, spun the truck around in the lot, narrowly missing his day cab, slammed on the brakes, skidded to a halt, the still open trailer doors banging all over the place on those old T-style latches. full throttle in reverse, still in a dust cloud, Chinese man STILL standing in the same spot he was thrown out of the truck. I leap to my feet as he slams the trailer dead nuts in the center of the the bay door. One man, one try, nailed it... Air brakes pppssssh, driver door slams, I hear muffled yelling, ten seconds later dock man-door flies open, Earl signs out, man-door slams close behind him, a good man takes off home after a long day at work. Lol.

Bewildered Chinese guy comes in, I have to tell him 5 times to sign in. I give him his paper work, tell him to wait in his truck and I load the trailer... It was always the same trucking company who did our American trips. Never ever saw the same driver twice...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:03:31 PM »
Yup, they think it'll be a cakewalk but once they find out that it's actual work with long days they give up.

A couple of years ago, I and another one of our drivers were parked for the night at "The Stretch", a truck stop in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. We were done for the day, and had just crawled into the racks in our respective trucks. We were both backed into our parking spots, with Steve on my left, and four open spots off to his left. Sure enough, here came a young Russian driver from California, and he decided to 'blind side' into the spot next to Steve. All hell broke loose when the guy took out Steve's hood. When he figured out that he'd screwed up he tried to take off, but another driver who had seen what happened managed to stop the guy before he got out of the lot. First thing the Russian guy said was that he didn't back into anybody. When we showed him the black paint from Steve's truck on the side of his trailer he said "I pay cash. How much you need to fix?"  Naturally, we called the police to get everything documented and the California company had to pay for the repairs.

Ever since then, "I pay cash" has been something of a standard joke between some of us drivers. Lately I keep getting ribbed by the other guys, telling me to be sure and yield to other people's turn signals.

Gotta love this line of work!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

chipwelder

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
As an interesting side to this story............. I have a Daughter who does not want anything "normal." She works in a big warehouse but that is too "normal." So She signed up for Yard jockey. Took the training and has been at it for 2-3 days, have not heard any results or had any parts fly for 30 miles to Our house. Get a lot of experience in backing up in a week.