Author Topic: Harbor Freight #62323 Chipper/Shredder  (Read 190 times)

GNAP

Harbor Freight #62323 Chipper/Shredder
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »
At 9 am this morning, I bought a Harbor Freight gasoline powered chipper/shredder, model #62323, that has the 6-1/2hp Predator gasoline engine. I jammed it into the Equinox and took it home and assembled the unit (wheels and handles, filled it full of gas and oil, it started on the second pull.

While the engine is relatively quiet, the chipper/shredder part of the unit is quite noisy. I removed the clean out covers and check to see if the hammer blade assemblies were tight, they where, it seems very well made.

Im very happy with it, the wife wished it produced a nice wood chip. She was expecting mulch style chips, there is a strange mix of saw dust, 6-8 long twigs and chunks about as big as my first thumb joint. It transformed a pile of Arbor Vidies branches the size of a full size Chevy van, into roughly 55 gallons of shredded wood scraps, the local town will gladly accept.

It seems to be rather cold blooded, after running it for roughly 45 minutes, I shut it off for about 2 minutes, to clean out a small clog in the outlet. I had to choke it to get it to restart. Flip on the choke, one quick pull, and it chugged to life, slow even puffs, then as you open the choke the rpms pick up, from the first chug to the idle rpm, roughly 5-8 seconds, then it runs perfectly.

I never thought Id ever own a HF gas powered anything, but it really is surprising in both operation and build quality.
jack

f350ca

Re: Harbor Freight #62323 Chipper/Shredder
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:38:05 PM »
Have a pto driven one I need to get out of the shed.
Have one of the Chonda engines on the mule. Its the same, needs choke every time you start it. It has a little solenoid or something on the bottom of the float bowl, expect its for emissions and expect it has to do with being cold hearted.

Greg

grumpygator

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
The solenoid on the bottom just closes the needle and seat valve so it doesn't leak during transport.
  That Predator is the Honda knock off. I have run them for years on mowers down here. They are a touch cold-blooded. But I have found if you close the choke with the switch off and pull it through 1 time and then open the choke wide open flip it to run it starts every time. The newest models can run on ethanol gas no problems.
    **G**

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:52 PM »

I've got a Honda engine as the hydraulic pack drive on one of the low boy trailers that I pull. It is cold blooded too. I've been dragging it around for nine years now and it hasn't changed one bit.

The other low boy trailer has a Kohler engine on it and it does not have that problem.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

f350ca

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
I have an old Troy Built tiller, was dad's guessing 50 years old with a 7 hp Kohler on it. The engines got a pile of hours on it, fill up the oil and check the gas sort of thing. I turn off the fuel and let it run out of gas then push it into the shed for the winter, in the spring, turn on the fuel, flip the choke lever and first pull every time she fires up and if I can get the choke off in time sits there and idles.

Greg