Author Topic: You think she is Machinists Material?  (Read 62 times)

4GSR

You think she is Machinists Material?
« on: May 17, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
This is my 3 year old grand daughter.  She gets out there before I can stop her and starts twisting all the hand wheels that she can reach and starts to try to turn them.  She's mastered the hand wheel on the surface grinder, still can't get them to turn on the mill.  She can get them to turn on the lathe a little bit.  Trying to teach them to use proper PPE.  Well, what can I say, I'm trying.  At least she hasn't tried to turn on the lathe!  Of course the power is off on all of the machines unless one is being used.
She did discover the safety valve on the air compressor.  ;D ;D ;D  Wish I had it on video!  She thought she was dead!  I had to go out there and push it back in to shut off the air.  She's learning!

grumpygator

Re: You think she is Machinists Material?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 07:33:31 PM »
Hell Yea encourage her. BUT she should not be in the shop with no shoes on and have her hair tied back.
 Love teaching kids. Passing the torch. I got all my nieces to help me when I worked on cars and trucks when they were young. Now they are in their 30's with kids of their own. They both know more than their husbands when it comes to working on cars. And ain't afraid to tell them.
 Makes me proud that that time was well spent. I love the blank look their men get when the girls call me in to confirm what's wrong.
And they are right.
 Keep up the good work Ken. The rewards will come back to you. Tenfold.
   **G**

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »
Hell Yea encourage her. BUT she should not be in the shop with no shoes on and have her hair
 Keep up the good work Ken. The rewards will come back to you. Tenfold.
   **G**

I agree, but one more thing, someone should always be with her. It's easy to pull something off that is heavy and can hurt her.
She's a cutie... Thankfully she doesn't look like you  :P :P
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Uglydog

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41:19 PM »
Shop gnomes!
Nasty little creatures who prevent you from getting anything done with their amusing chatter, constant questions, and eagerness  to get dirty.

Congrats! This shows you did something right!!

Daryl
MN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:17 PM »
She's at just the right age to start learning how to 'adult' in the shop.  Shoes, safety glasses, hair tied back. She'll pick it up quick, especially if papa has a special treat drawer in the shop...
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

RayH

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »
She looks like a real cutie and an innocent.
In my world, "child proofing" the shop seems out of the question so, that leaves constant supervision.
Safety First!
That would be great if she develops a real liking for working with the tools.
Of course, we'll want to see all her projects as Grandpa brings her along.

chips and more

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:22:38 AM »
What a cutie! Boy, my shop sure ainít no safe place to be in!!!! My daughter is expecting. Makes me think about my shop and all the hazards for little ones to get into.