Author Topic: My new shop  (Read 723 times)

Carpenter84

Re: My new shop
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »
More structure.
I decided to block and frame a corner on that new wall to prevent buckling. In the second photo in the last post, the front side of that framed Wall, I'll turn right about 2 feet with a footing, more block and framing to lock that corner together. That wall will carry on to the right anyways.

Behind that old barn wall to the right I have to do another footing and post/beam to support some pretty badly water damaged beams that are sagging really badly.

I am going to repair the crumbling end of the wall in the photo as well. Photo 1

Then after the lean-to comes down I need to lift the corner of the pad in photo 2. It's sunk 5 inches. Then I will close in the open front. Then I can finally start actually building my shop. But means I'm spending MY money instead of spending someone else's money.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
Dug right into the lean-to today. Emptied it out completely. Filled a whole garbage bin and a decent amount of scrap metal. And axed the roof. I'm gonna try to get up there again tomorrow and finish the tear down and maybe try and lift the corner of the concrete pad.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »
Ohhhh Nooooo Mr Billlllll... I lost my roof.

making swift work...
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
Ya. I wasn't expecting to completely empty that area in a day... I was also trying to convince Jonathan to do it since it's his building... but, you know what they say.. if you want something done right....

However, he spent the same amount of time I worked cleaning out the hanger on the other side. The one in front of the big loader. Made a good dent. I need the back half of that area cleaned out to install an I beam.

You can just see the broken out windows on the side of the barn in one of the photos. Way up high. Those windows have been letting the rain in for probably a decade. And completely rotted out all of the structure under it. We're taking 14" hand hewn timber beams. Not slightly rotted and soft, I mean they no longer exist... Just a void where they used to be. And some dust. The roof trusses over that hanger are 2x8's. Which is impressive. And the last set against the barn wall are a triple. Honestly, that's gotta be the only thing holding up that side of the barn. If they weren't there, or were modern 2x4 trusses, I have no doubt that side of the barn would have buckled by now, and we would not even be discussing this shop...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
I think it will take a while to run out of space :-)  This is not going be a shop, looks more a manufacturing plant.

What's to come in the future?
 O0 Pep

Carpenter84

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »
Keep in mind it'll house my wood shop and metal shop. Also, the space you're seeing won't be the whole inside space.

Also, the exterior wall will not be on the edge of the roof. The wall will be about 4' in from the edge. Directly under that I beam. That's where the cement pad ends too.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 01:11:13 AM »
Whoa that looks like a whole heck of a lot of work!   For your sake I hope Jonathan holds up his end of the arrangement.    So what’s the electrical situation like. is it single, 3 phase etc.? Amperage?   
I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 07:29:49 AM »
There will be a lease agreement...

I estimate my cost to build will be about $5-6000. He is paying for all the repairs we are doing. My labour is free as it all benefits me as well. And frankly, if I didn't, I wouldn't get this shop.

My hydro will be single phase 100a. I have to run another service from the other barn. However, I'm worried we may have to upgrade to 400 amp from the street due to how much hydro is already tapped into the transformer. But that'll be huuuge bucks.

3 phase would be nice but with a price tag of about $22,000, that's just not in the cards. We have a 3 phase 22kw genset with a 600v/220v transformer we can use for 3 phase.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
Sounds good.  Or even a rpc for 3phsae.   
I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »
I don't have any 3 phase machines that aren't VFD. However, there's a very large metal handsaw in the garage behind my shop that's 3 phase I'd like to use. That's where the genset would come in. It does work decent. And it will open possibilities to future 3 phase machines.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »
With one mess cleared out, another reveals itself...

The lean-to is a thing of the past.
I brought the loader over to lift the pad, just to see what would happen. It broke. I had my suspicions. Whatever. It is what it is. That corner of the pad was a mess anyways. Barely usable it was so crooked.

Jonathan found a railway jack as he was cleaning. 12 ton screw jack. I used that your jack up the steel I beam that was now floating in the air because of the newly broken pad. Leveled it up. Actually made the roofline look significantly better, and also that framed wall it was sitting on. Lifted everything up several inches.

Next time I'm there I'll get that broken corner out, crush out the concrete along the wall, dig it down, do a footing and another block wall under the framing. Then fix up the framing on that wall.

I was hoping to lift the pad a bit to do one course of block along the front to frame up the exterior wall, but I will just have to leave the pad as it is and level the block and get it closed in before it snows.

So, I'm not upset with the results, it's more work, but I'm sure this was the route I was headed regardless. I'm just feeling a big push to try and get this closed in before snow... We will see ..

The concrete broke because there was no reinforcement, and they used rubble as an aggregate instead of proper crushed stone. It's extremely thick. 8" thick. If it had been constructed properly, I could have lifted the whole corner of the building without it breaking.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
Well, two weeks later. I've actually gotten quite a bit done.
Last time I posted I was talking about crushing out the end of the pad to do a block wall.
Well, I attempted to cut the pad in half with the jack hammer, but that effort was totally futile. It's way too thick for that.

So, plan B was to do an underpin. I demod a whole bunch of the surrounding walls, got all the rotted crap out of the way. Dug out under the end of the pad and prepped for an underpin. I figured I'd underpin the pad and maybe pour some selfleveling cement to correct the slop. But when I dug everything out, i decided I'd try and jack up the sunken portion of the pad. So I looked for a suitable jack. We found yet another big bottle jack. It's a mechanical bottle jack. An old one. 25 ton! 6" stroke. Took a 3' section of 8" I beam, set the jack on it in the trench and went to down. The damn thing lifted the WHOLE sunken portion with ease. There was barely an effort to pump the handle. Jeez, I really wish I didn't break off the big corner now....

I was able to jack the whole slab right up level to where it was originally. I was ecstatic! I couldn't believe how well it worked out!

The photos are showing the underpin trench and the gap under the pad jacking created, and how level with the rest of the floor it became.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2019, 03:54:19 PM »
After jacking up the pad, I started setting up forms to pour the under pins. I didn't take any photos of that because I had been going pretty late st night, being the only time I've been able to get up there, and photos weren't my priority. Sorry.

I poured the underpin in three sections. Started with the right side, at the same time poured a footing for a block wall to build the corner and footing for the post under the steel beam. The left corner was second. That was a big pour. 38 bags of cement. Then last I pulled the jack out and poured the center.

Then I blocked up the corner. Next day I filled the block with cement and poured a new floor in the corner. Moving right along! Then this morning I reframed that whole wall, and new post under the beam. Got some tyvec under the pine board and batton on the exterior section and temporarily wrapped it around the corner for when I frame the exterior wall. Which I'm finally ready to actually start! Finally my shop is structurally secure. There's a bit more structure work I have to do in the other hanger to stop the barn from continuing to sag but I can now do that at any time.
Next time I'm up there I can start preparing to lay the single course of block along the exterior wall and soon I'll be framing and closing everything in! Just gotta beat the cold weather, which is gonna come real soon.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:59 PM »
shawn, good work, you're a real workhorse...  looks good, 38 bags, that's a lot of lifting.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
I'm into 146 60lb bags at this point. And i may need more still. Aaand, if I want to repour the back half of the shop where I took out all the broke cement, I'd be into 2 more yards. But I highly suspect it will wind up a wooden floor for the unforeseeable future. Unless $1000 fell into my lap...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.