Author Topic: My new shop  (Read 1060 times)

Carpenter84

Re: My new shop
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »
One more
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »
Shawn,

What is that plastic placed between the top plates and bottom plates?  Off hand never seen that done down here.  Used to run a fiberglass pad on the concrete for the bottom plate to set on down here.  Just curious.
Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
Tyvec house wrap. You wrap the house with it after framing, before siding. It blocks moisture out but still allows the framing to breathe. So, if moisture gets under it, it can still evaporate but doesn't allow moisture to pass through it from the outside. It's direction specific - "install this side facing out", sort of thing.

I'm going a little.overboard with it because there's a lot of moisture around here. I don't want any rotted wood, since I have wood in places we sometimes won't want wood products. Like, low to the ground. But, budget budget...

So, after I sheet the exterior walls, I will roll out the wrap across the sheeting then lap and tape the edges that are wrapped up and under the plates. Enveloping the lumber from moisture on the outside.
Then on the inside, I do the same but with 6 mil poly vapor barrier. Creating my vapor block on the warm side.

It's a big sandwich.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »
Oh, also, we use a roll of 3/16" thick foam under the bottom plate to give a moisture seperation between any lumber and concrete surface so the lumber doesn't leech moisture from the concrete - which will be moist forever. Additionally, it adds a cushion between the course concrete surface and the tyvec, so the paper thin tyvec doesn't tear.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »
I know about the Tyvec house wrap.  We use it down here too and also the foam under your bottom plates on the outside walls.  Just wasn't familiar with putting the Tyvec under the plate.  Hey thanks for sharing, learn something today. Yeah!
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »
Had to take a break from my shop to build Jonathan's wall. Our deal was I'd build his wall if he paid for mine... His wall was just as wrought with problems as mine was...  ::)

Had to spend 3 hours fixing that far right corner, taking down the big rolling doors, pouring a small underpin and a small footing on the corner of the far right pad. I told him he needs to replace the two side exterior walls. Pour a bit of a foundation wall because of grading issues. He gets mud washing in on the left side.
Also, from back to front, the post walls have heaved up nearly 10 inches. And from pulling the corner post out I found out that the posts aren't in the ground deep enough. The corner post was only 14" down. That's pathetic... So, he's got some tough decisions to make. And find another $1500 somewhere for materials. Aaand, since this is up and beyond our deals for my free labour, and due to how late in the season it's getting, and how little time I have, I may have to take some days off work to do it, so he'd have to pay me. But that decision 100% effects the next few steps in building this wall. If the front drops 10", then it very much changes how things get tied in... Sucks to have a great building but wind up having to basically rebuild 3/4 of if. Oh well...

Anyways, 40" of frontage. 36" man door, 16' garage door. Got this far today. Stopped due to time and ran out of materials.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
Well... He said go ahead with the rebuild. So off I went... Been a busy week...

Built temporary walls to support the roof, blew out the side walls. Leveled the roof on the temporary walls. The frontage dropped 14"! The side roof lines look soo much better...
I smashed out section of floor because it had sunk pretty bad. Built forms to pour walls. Cement truck came yesterday. Marc sent the whole Calvary to come help me, which was spectacular because there was no conceivable way I could have done it all myself. I had been busy this week and didn't actually finish all the forming on time. So the guys really helped out. Scotty worked with the cement truck on 3 different pours while myself and the young guy fixed up the last of the areas to be poured.
This morning I got there bright and early (5am) to pull the forms and start framing. I'm having a difficult time working around the wife's study schedule. So, definitely been odd hours. Working from 10pm to 2am, then this morning. But, a massive transformation.

This evening, to give herself a study break, we went over there. She hung out with Jonathan's wife, Heather, Ashlee's coworker and university friend. And I got a chance to keep working for a bit. I have almost all of the side walls sheeted now, didn't snap a picture.

I will finish sheeting the walls, finish the front wall, wrap the whole thing with tyvec, and o think that's where I'll stop on his part. He's paying me labour for the two days I took off work this week, but nothing else. Our deal of 'i build his wall and he pays for mine' got a bit extended. So, I need to pick a stopping point. If he wants more, he will have to pay some how. Either in materials for my shop, or money.

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
Oh... And I got a fresh, beautiful, new floor from the deal too  ;D ;D  ;D

Sooooooo much better than what I was expecting to have to do to fill in the hole.
I also have my frontage nice and wrapped up. I also have a garage door to install. Which I will do once I'm done Jonathan's. Then I will finally be all closed in. I'll get the furnace hooked up so I can be warm when I work.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2019, 05:24:33 PM »
Got Jonathan to send me some photos of my last point today.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

34_40

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »
Looking good Shawn. Should be a nice shop with all the effort you're putting in.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Carpenter84

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
Jeez, I certainly hope so! Lol

The new floor in my shop is a huuuuuuuuuuuge deal. I was prepping to do a wooden deck as a temporary solution. Then I was considering tiling that wooden deck as I was hoping to put my welding area back there. Already had a deal worked out with my tile supplier. She was going to donate the tile if I buy the mud. Which is a pretty phenomenal deal, actually... That discussion started with me sending an email requesting a price on her cheapest worst tile (for my shop floor), to which she offered the donation. (they're really great people there. That's why theyre our only flooring supplier.)
This the concrete is a huge step up. And a lot less work.
I also have a bunch of 2x6 studs left over from Jonathan's walls to rebuild that terrible back wall in the photo. That wall divides my shop and the garage you can see just to the left of the left new wall on Jonathan's side. That wall is being held up by drywall, basically. It was floating when I demoed it.

Edit: I realise now I don't have a photo of that side of the barn to actually show which garage door I'm actually referring to... Oh well... Use your imagination.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:48:42 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
In my searching for a photo, I found an earlier photo. A before and after, if you will... Wild...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

34_40

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2019, 05:19:47 AM »
That IS a wild comparison isn't it!?!?!   
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Machinists Gazette