Author Topic: My new shop  (Read 7132 times)

4GSR

Re: My new shop
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »
I used to use a zero rake alternate bevel 60 tooth blade on my RAS.  When I wore that one out, went to a thin kerf blade.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2020, 06:54:10 PM »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2020, 11:58:42 PM »
.... I dropped the grinder during the move........
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

RayH

« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2020, 12:22:58 AM »
Your surface grinder?
Ray

Carpenter84

« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:09 AM »
Mhmm...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2020, 11:56:23 AM »
Another load. This took a while to figure out. Didn't intend on ripping most of the mill apart. I guess this is a good a time as any to rescrape the ways...

It was too sketchy to try to move the whole milk with the low ceilings and up onto the trailer. I've been using an electric over hydraulic fork lift. But it only has about a 5' lift height. So, I've had to try and get under machines to lift rather than strap and lift from above - which is far more desirable... That's how I tipped the grinder over. Tried to get it up on the forks - which have the stabilizing wheel legs under them, so the forks are about 4" off the floor. I was using a comealong wrapped around the mast to pull the grinder up onto the forks. The grinder has a 3 leg setup on the square cast base, I didn't actually realize that prior. One of the cast feet got stuck on the fork, so I tried to man handle it up over the ledge. In the twisting motion one of the come along hooks fell off, so I was left holding the grinder. The wife had walked away about 3 minutes prior, and i couldn't reach the hook. I tried to fell swoop the grinder up onto the forks because it felt like it was juuust at the tipping point of putting it's weight on the fork. But instead it twisted right around, out of my hands, off the fork and tipped against the wall before sliding to the floor. Table flipped off and got wedged between the vee way and the wall. Snapped the table stop off, the Y traverse handle off, broke the stone, and galled a good chunk on the ways. Had to shimmy the machine to get the table in wedged before I could just brute the machine back in its feet. Sweet Jesus it's deceivingly heavy... Yes, could have been worse, but I also could have been a lot smarter I'm sure... I was pretty crushed after that. I'll include a link to a video of a you tube guy I watch much in a similar situation (albeit his was muuuuuch worse....)

The whole crew came to help with the mill this morning. I asked for one, everyone came. Also got a whole crap load of tooling and cabinets out.

https://youtu.be/0Ako5guyzNg

Skip to 6:06...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

RayH

« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2020, 01:05:00 PM »
Sorry to read about your troubles Shawn.
Pleased that no person was injured.
The good news is, you may have learned something that will prevent an even greater disaster in the future.
An educational experience is what we get, when we don't get what we want.
Take care.
Ray

Carpenter84

« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2020, 05:38:24 PM »
Ya I know it could have been worse... I'd have much rathered not have dropped anything tho.. but I guess if I had to choose out of the 3 big machines, the grinder was probably the best (and worst) to drop... I don't use it terribly often - I just don't have that clientele, that wants precision ground parts. However, it was my most precise machine. Its precision was sub tenth.
My hope is nothing's twisted. I can handle broken wheels, or handles, even galled/dinged ways. I can fix all of that... But if something twisted, it's pretty much game over for me for that machine. I don't have the time or the capability to rebuild the grinder to that level. I can clean up and stone out dings in the ways and likely run fine. But not if it's all twisted.
The fall flattened every single set of oil wheels under the table tho.. it's a K.O Lee, so, no wicks in the oil bath, it has these spring loaded wheels that apply a continuous coat of oil to the ways every time it traverses. They were all crushed. I'll have to find/buy new ones.

Almost everything is in the shop now. Odds and ends remain in the garage. Mostly tools I haven't decided whether to take. And some cabinets.
But the work certainly isn't over...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:40:20 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #188 on: July 02, 2020, 11:21:35 PM »
Progress...
The lathe is hopefully in its forever home. And the compressor and tanks are setup and running.

And my internet speed is dismal...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

jpigg55

« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »
That is bad.
Shawn, is the speed of your cell phone any faster using the 3G, 4G, 5G network, whichever you have at the shop ?
It would be data usage on your phone, but you might be able to use it as a WiFi hotspot to your computer to boost the speed, if your computer has WiFi capability.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
Yes the speed of my phone is world's faster, and I have tons of data... Dismal cell signal in the back of the shop. Lol.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

jpigg55

« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
Not sure how much you use the internet at your shop, but they do sell booster antennas for cell phones.
If your computer is WiFi equipped, you should be able to turn on WiFi Hot Spot in your cell phone settings and then connect the computer to your phone via WiFi and use your phone data speed vs land line.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2020, 10:01:04 PM »
Yes I know how to hot spot. The internet speed goes up to about 1.0mb at good times. It's rural, internet is pretty bad. To make it worse, my connection travels about 400' from the main house through 2 or 3 connection points/routers/extenders.

I mainly use the computer for music (hooked to the stereo) on Spotify, check the board, email, but the main idea for the computer in the shop was to check emails (clients), drawings/prints, and research.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »
Yes I know how to hot spot. The internet speed goes up to about 1.0mb at good times. It's rural, internet is pretty bad. To make it worse, my connection travels about 400' from the main house through 2 or 3 connection points/routers/extenders.

I mainly use the computer for music (hooked to the stereo) on Spotify, check the board, email, but the main idea for the computer in the shop was to check emails (clients), drawings/prints, and research.

why not pick up a spool of cat 6 and lay it in the ground to the house. I assume you have a tractor, just rip a line, put some markers so you know the line and can protect it.

btw, that table the lathe is on, is sooooo overbuilt  :singing: [size=78%]... Whats the top made out of?  [/size]
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »
My low internet speed is mainly due to the modem speed, the connection to me is fine. Jonathan does audio/video/networking for a living. The internet available to the house is what's dismal, not my signal to the shop. no tv and garbage internet.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.