Author Topic: My new shop  (Read 8217 times)

Carpenter84

Re: My new shop
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
   I hope you didnít trash the new carbide mill you just got ??

NO..
 no, no... Yeesh..

Ya that endmill has only been used on soft materials. That's what it's for, that's what I bought it for... However, I have plowed through my carbide endmill collection lately. Not sure if it's just because they might be cheaper..? (Most are unknown to me as I did not purchase most of them directly, most second hand/unused), or I'm using them for the wrong purpose. And of course, my mill isn't the greatest for carbide either, but I can smoke a hss just as quick...

I've been thinking about spending some moolah on good quality purpose specific cutters. I spend soooo much time dinking around with cutting tools because I either don't have the right type, or dull, that it's noticable in the job time, and certainly the end result.

I was indifferent to the hole quality of these brackets because they were a remake, inexpensive, the hole accuracy was not as important as the overall dimension accuracy, and these brackets function is in a hidden place.

But the time I lose goofing around on jobs for one reason or another over tooling is quickly becoming exhausting... Time to up the tooling game...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Shawn, checkout these guys.
The carbide was good and cheap... made in USA.

They are regrinds in many cases for cheap. They had a defect and reground them.

They have firsts too. 

Like Ken told me, try some radiused end mills for cutting some tough stuff, it keeps the edge point from breaking off.
https://www.ebay.com/str/cgstoolcarbideendmills
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
I had a thought about the 304 stainless/hard drilling...

Is there something special about 304 that a customer would want 304 specifically? Or would a different stainless - one maybe a bit easier to machine, be a fine substitute I could have suggested?

These brackets, I believe, are to reinforce the corners of a seal for a vacuum press of some kind. So, moisture is present I'm sure, but is there an easier to machine stainless steel that has the same anti-rust/corrode properties to 304 I could have suggested?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »
Yes.  303.   Only caveat is itís considered not weldable if thats part of the design.    It may weld per se but I think the quality is very poor.   Also the form itís available in that I know of is bar.  Round, hex etc.    We use lots of it for making our own fittings that donít require welding.
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
Excellent. Thanks Paul.
I assume the customer asked for 304 only because when someone thinks of stainless, they think 304. It's up to me to know and understand the properties of the metal and if there's a better option... Well, I'm not there yet. Need to work with a bigger variety of materials to gain that knowledge.

I honestly wish I had the ability to go work in a machine shop for a few months or something. I wouldn't even care if I was paid (if I was able to go a couple months unpaid...) I'm sure I'd learn more in that couple months than I would in years on my own...
That said... I've started looking at various books. I'm currently reading a book on the basics of stamping and die making. I also have a book on fixturing in the mail.
The die making was because I was on the brink of buying a 20 ton Bliss punch press, but backed out. And the fixturing knowledge is endlessly useful... A major time saver I think. I see some of my YouTube and Instagram guys with some crazy fixturing setups on their machines to perform a simple task. The fixturing is necessary to perform the task, but with the methods being common knowledge, the process is still quick and the end result shows the ability and skill from that knowledge.
A life long machinist I watch on Instagram is Robin Renzetti.. the man is a fount of knowledge and I try to absorb everything he posts. His abilities and accuracy is in the micron range.
I think one of his biggest assets is the fact that he works in his home shop for a living. Often giving him the time to build his shop and machines into such a well oiled production. But after 40 years he's build every conceivable fixture for any process that comes up. I really wish I started in this machining world a lot younger... I'd absolutely love to do this for a living. I'd drop carpentry in a second given the opportunity to go full time in my shop.
Anyways... I digress
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »
Hey Shawn I have a line on (2) bad ass milling machines you or anyone else interested can have free for the taking.   
You just have to come get them and haul away.. in the next 8-10 weeks
Sunstrand C3  vertical, Rigidmills
50 taper.    Abom size 20Ē cutter not incl.
You may need to upgrade the power to the shop tho.  LOL
Figure 30,000# each for trucks

1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »
Side bar... I'd take book recommendations if anyone has any. Areas of interest are milling, lathe, and grinding techniques and procedures. Machining jigging/setup fixturing - not so much making fixtures for production, welding, or assembly. And general machine shop practices. Nothing too technical yet... Gotta build up to that...

Bill, if you're reading, I know you're recovering, but if you or a friend could manage to get that Connelly book in the mail, I'd love to start reading it.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2020, 12:16:01 PM »
Hey Shawn I have a line on (2) bad ass milling machines you or anyone else interested can have free for the taking.   

Haha. Not quite.
If I needed a machine to kill me, I do have train tracks not far from my house...

I wouldn't even know what to make on a mill that big...  Do you think it could touch up the dovetail on my compound? Oh! Or maybe mill my mill into a pile of chips?
I'm sure I could get my mill table faced on that thing tho...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2020, 12:17:27 PM »

Haha. Not quite.
If I needed a machine to kill me, I do have train tracks not far from my house...

I wouldn't even know what to make on a mill that big...  Do you think it could touch up the dovetail on my compound? Oh! Or maybe mill my mill into a pile of chips?
I'm sure I could get my mill table faced on that thing tho...

125 amps at 208v........ Hahahahahaha ... I'll just climb the pole and tap into the 8.4Kv 3ph outside my shop.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
Depends what you plan to do with it but a 20 ton punch press would be pretty cool.   Bliss made top shelf presses and still have some resale if they have the part rev clutches and safety controls.  I didnít even know they went that small tonnage.  The older mechanical, full revolution/rolling key clutch ones go for scrap anymore here in US and EU due to the safety regs.   I have dealt with attempting to safeguard full rev mechanicals for so may years  we gave up.  OSHA is ruthless and the only good way to do it is wrap the thing in an iron maiden.
Home shop you donít need to worry other than your own body parts
I picked up a cute little 3 ton benchtop Kenco press years ago for $100 and use it here and there for banging holes in sheetmetal vs drilling.  which is a pain.
1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
The plan for it was to punch out busbars. The design of the bar was right up the punch press ally. 1/4" plate aluminum, two stages to knock out the holes and shape/bend, then tap the holes, presto - fast money. Obsolete electrical component market. 1000 part runs, but "obsolete" = money.
But Covid messed that up so far. The manufacturers were afraid to spend money and opted to just not buy/supply. It very well could still happen, but I'll cross that bridge when/if the time comes again. But ya, I was merely a day away from going to get a 20 ton for $600. Running order, and oh ya barely a safety device to be seen, but whatever, I'm smart - two trigger operation, light curtain, make it electric engagement over mechanical, etc etc... The thing would have paid for itself in the first production run... Oh well...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »
Side bar... I'd take book recommendations if anyone has any. Areas of interest are milling, lathe, and grinding techniques and procedures. Machining jigging/setup fixturing - not so much making fixtures for production, welding, or assembly. And general machine shop practices. Nothing too technical yet... Gotta build up to that...

Bill, if you're reading, I know you're recovering, but if you or a friend could manage to get that Connelly book in the mail, I'd love to start reading it.
I still have this one from college days.   Its a classic.   Might be obsolete on the surface to newly minted whipersnappers but to those of us with some scars, basic fundamentals of the trade never change.
I love reading older technical books when writing was also a skill taught.   

1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

jpigg55

« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »
Shawn, here's a tool I use when selecting metals.
Go to Online Metals: https://www.onlinemetals.com/
1. At the top, select "Go to Classic Site as circled in pic #1. Not necessary, but I find it easier to get to the guide in Classic view.
2. Select "Product Guide" in the Tools, as in pic #2.
3. Select the type of material you are looking for info on, as in pic #3.
4. This will bring up the page with all the alloys they carry listed. If you scroll down the page, it will give a short description of each of the alloys including machinability and weldability, as seen in pic #4. Selecting the individual alloy hyperlinks to the page with all the technical data for that alloy.

There are probably other guides out there, but this is the best of the ones I've found so far.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »

Another good chart that you may find useful can be found here:  https://www.mcmaster.com/metals

It is a good comparison chart without all the reading.

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2020, 01:28:10 AM »
Lathe is running again! Woo!
I took to, once again, rewiring the controls. Its been 3ph/VFD for quite some time, but the controls were still running via the remnants of the DC conversion. The push buttons, and the timer circuit someone had designed for me on the other board way back when. It worked with the VFD, but there was built in delays between fwd and reverse to accomodate the DC requirements. Which was somewhat irritating when threading. Having to wait two seconds before I could reverse a tap out ran it's course.
So I ripped all that out and super simplified the control wiring. I still have a rev counter, and the DC amps display still has power, but no one's home. It just displays some random value (there's no DC voltage, nor a shunt to measure it). I just didn't bother messing with the wiring in that top box for the sake of not messing with what works still.
I'm happy the lathe is running. Relieved... The chips are super blue, dull insert. But I also have more power now!
The motor in there is a 1.5hp 3ph. But the VFD I was running was a 1hp. I've now installed a 2hp VFD with the overload amps set to the motor specs. So now the VFD doesn't trip out when I take a decent cut.
I peeled off some metal and didn't even come close to the overload threshold. I also didn't get any chatter! Which is amazing since I've not leveled or secured the lathe get. That big 2" chunk of whatever metal, and that bell mouthed 3 jaw used to siiiiing...
I'm super excited!
Need to get the dro set back up, I also have plans for a stainless back splash and chip pan in the works. Have the stainless sheet metal here in the shop waiting to be fabricated.
I've got some paid work that needs to run on the lathe this week. Some 303 stainless.

It's coming along.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.