Author Topic: My new shop  (Read 9381 times)

Carpenter84

Re: My new shop
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2020, 06:30:45 AM »
The machine leveling grout finally arrived. Apparently it was on back order, then out of the blue, they purolatored it right to my house... Which was a pain in the ass in itself as they didn't leave it at the door ... But I digress...

I opened the 2 gallon can - yeesh... Pretty gnarly stuff. Full Hazmat suit when working with that stuff... But, in reading the tech sheets and a brief conversation with the Henkel rep, this is very much the stuff I'm looking for to pour the level base for the lathe. This is the intended use. Machine bases, sole plates, fastener epoxy, etc.
Only downside now is it took so long to arrive (month and a half?), That I may need to actually LIFT the lathe up to scrub clean all the oil that's flowed under the feet cause the stuff won't adhere. Then level it again.

Side note, since the lathe was sooo unlevel on the bench in my garage, I never checked the bed with a level before. I used the Starrett 96-6 bubble level on the cross slide and traversed it back and forth up/down the bed, I was able to see twist AND wear. The wear was about 1/2 a division, and the twist was 2. Very interesting. I was able to shim out the twist, but obviously the wear remained. I can't remember what the graduation is on that level, I'd have to look it up. I have a finer level, something like 0.0002" over 10", albeit, chinese, I didn't bother with that level. Ida spent more time fiddling with everything and not breathing than just trying to level the bed. 1/2 a division on the Starrett 96-8 is fine enough for what I do in the shop. The hobby quality lathe I have isn't capable of precision at those levels.
And besides, the temperature in the shop fluctuates too much for it to matter.

Now, with that big granite surface plate I'm picking up this evening, that's a different story... Not sure how I'm going to approach leveling that thing - or frankly, where I'm going to put it...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:32:41 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
well it's a work surface, you can build a cover and use it for assembly. Make the cover split in 2.
I would run a test bar before setting the lathe in the grout.
That way if you need to introduce a twist to get it straight you can.

Is that the smallest can they sell it in? geez.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
Ya, comes in 2 gal and up. Meant for large scale industrial machinery.
The lathe will be leveled with shims, then the grout will be poured around the feet to flow under then bolted down once cured.

I can run the lathe on the shims, in fact, I have been running it for the past two weeks on shims. I'm sure I can do a test bar, but I know there's flex in the lathe, or the headstock is out of alignment. And I know the tailstock is out. So I'm going to start with a level plain, then adjust the lathe accordingly.
I won't introduce twist to maybe counter the wear because it'll effect the tailstock alignment.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

RayH

« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
I went to the Henkel web site to learn more about PC 9458 and found the site to be useless. It seems they want me to contact a sales rep for almost everything. Incredibly weak for such a major company. Lawyers, I imagine.

A couple of questions about the grout Shawn.
Is it a two part (you mix the volume you need) product?
I'd like to know how it flows (like water, maple syrup, honey, . . .)?
When it's cured, is it glass hard (brittle) so thin (.1" or less) sections will snap if bent over an edge? Or, does it have a little "flexibility"?
Are you going to use some sort of "mold release" on the mounting surfaces or will the grout actually "bond" the faying surfaces?
At $300+ it triggers my "What alternative products/processes are there?".
Ray

chips and more

« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
I can’t think of any thing/product that I have used from Loctite that I did not like!!!

Carpenter84

« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2020, 09:19:49 PM »
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/ca/en/product/grout-material/loctite_pc_9458.html

Two part.
Not sure how it hardens. It’s like honey consistency.
Was $265.
Normal grease or oil acts as a release.
There are several products - all in the states, and this was the cheapest solution under 1”.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

ddickey

« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2020, 07:07:37 AM »
I can’t think of any thing/product that I have used from Loctite that I did not like!!!
Made in China? I don't like that about some of their products but I guess that's the way it is nowadays.

Carpenter84

« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »
I'll move the Induma stuff over here, since it's all shop development anyways.

I spent yesterday getting the shop waaay more clean and organized than the day before. Built the rest of the shelving units I bought to get the overflow junk that's spills all over the floor up off the floor. And the grinding area was never organized. Just a catch-all junk pile.
I also got started on the Induma.
Cleaning things up. Replaced all the way wipers, my goodness the felt was almost rock hard. I added the layer of rubber and wiper felt. Also pulled the Y gib for cleaning. Just packed right up with chips. There were also no way covers. I'll have to add some. Machine is in surprisingly good shape physically, but appears to be quite worn. The paint is still on many areas that would normally be chipped off. But I noticed the Y lead screw web is probably work half its thickness. Lol. But to my surprise the machine has full travel without getting tight. However, I noticed there's quite a bit of movement with the table in the middle of the travel. So, the table is wollowed. But the table is sooo heavy that it's almost hard to tell without throwing your back out.

So it appears the machine is quite worn, but I don't care. I think it'll be worth rebuilding. As even with it being worn out, I could barely tell.
Until this big job is done in just going to run it. But doing some maintenance things first.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »
Ok so I've never worked on a proper mill before with a nod.
I just trammed the whole thng. What an incredibly infuriating experience. The pivot point is so far behind the spindle it took me forever to figure out the movements. "I just keep cutting and it's still too damn short!!".
"We’ve got to do the “jiminy-jillikers” scene again, Milhouse." "But we already did it. It took SEVEN HOURS, but we did it. It’s done."

Ya, lol. That's how I feel. But it's trammed. Got it sub .0005" using my .0005" mitutoyo DTI, the needle just bounces around the half thou mark around the table. Better than the other mill. It's got a built in nod of a thou over the 9" table. Very likely from me taking the mill apart and cleaning it when I first got it and didn't know what I was doing.
I'm resisting the urge to fire up the generator to take some cuts. But I really need to keep moving on fixing and setting stuff up. Got a very big complicated job coming this week. Gonna take 2 weeks to build. $1500 in material, and a signed non disclosure. Lol. (it's what bought this mill). Need to get the big band saw fixed and running too. Got new tires for it, cleaning everything up, new blade, weld the broken table. Gonna need it to cut a crap load pile of material for this job.
Wife isn't pleased with the job, but it'll be good money and it sky rocketed the shop forward. Maybe she won't be so sour when I bring home a wad of cash for her. Lol.

Anyways. Rambling... Back to work.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2020, 09:31:22 PM »
Get you a disk brake rotor, a new one.  They are generally within a tenth or two in thickness and in flatness.  Lay it down on your mill table after you stone the table top for nicks burrs dings.  Using the brake rotor is a little less painful on the dial indicator bouncing around.  Yeah, the nod is always the fussy one to adjust, glad you got it. 
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2020, 11:17:36 PM »
not a bad idea. i could also have easily just grabbed a gauge block to indicate the table. but, its just a mill table.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
It’s nice to get a good tram. But when you mount a vise, move the table or whatever, the tram can go south! I have made careful note of the registers on my Bridgeport. Even corrected the nod “0” with aluminum tape. I no longer (almost) use an indicator to tram. I just carefully set to “0” using the registers. I make mostly small parts, and I can’t tell/see any tram error when the parts are small.

And a note, make sure the nod worm and sector adj is in the going down position on the finial adjustment. This takes out all possibilities of a change after you walk away LOL.

Carpenter84

« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »
I will not tram to a vise at this time as the "big job" will all be done with the work strapped on the table. No vise on this one. After, when I get a 6" vise, I will retram. I always tram to the vise, mainly because the table on my old mill is soo peckered, it's basically impossible to indicate.

I always tram with my half thou indicator because when I face mill with a 2" cutter, I hate the ripples left when the head is out.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #253 on: September 22, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
Hum....... I have never tram to a vise.  You shouldn't have to if you know your vise has parallel top and bottom.  That's usually not a problem with a Kirk vize.  Top and bottom are ground parallel to each other from the factory.   Am I missing something here?
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #254 on: September 22, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
Ya, the Chinese connection. Lol.

No, like I said, on the column mill I would tram to the vise ways because the table is so pockmarked that it was difficult to get a reading while sweeping.
I also don't own a Kirt.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.