Author Topic: Tig welding  (Read 846 times)

Carpenter84

Re: Tig welding
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 08:54:46 PM »
I learned how to braze in high school and I still do so on occasion. Not to often anymore. The torch gets more use with cutting and heating than welding.

Those welds were convex, just a bad angle. The filet weld, the angle makes it look concave. And, I intentionally welded them hot. I wanted a deep weld. That part will see a lot of stress but I didnít want to soak the part and distort it.

I have no desire to weld out of position more than I have to. Iíve stick welded in some weird spots, but rarely. Car stuff usually. And i canít do heights. lol. But I do like boats!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 08:56:24 PM »
With those screened cups you can stick out quite far. Jody from welding tips and tricks really sells the technique. My gas is at 25 cfm.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
I should clarify that picture was taken right after I tested how far I could stick out... the stick out has since been reduced to a more reasonable amount.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
i have yet to try the clear cups.

i watched Jody at weldingtipsandtricks on youtube, run clear cups, and they look great!
i'll need to mess around and get some!!!
thanks for bringing it up again 8)
9 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

grumpygator

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
OK it's your money. If you want to pass gas at 25cfm, by all means, do so. I don't know what the refill rates are up in your part of the world are. All I'm trying to say is you can get the same if not better results using half that amount bench welding.
  As far as a clear cup goes, I don't look at the cup, I look where the heat is going. The cup is only there as a spacer. The secret is the angel of the torch to the work.
  The greater the angle the more the impurities will blow off to each side.
   **G**

Carpenter84

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »
Easy there Debbie Downer...
Using this cup has given me better welds than I've been doing previously. I've yet to refill my BlueShield25 or my argon tanks. $60 to fill. And my argon still has around 1000 psi left. Let the little guy have his welds.
I've yet to play with the settings, stick out, and gas settings. Just been welding what's needed to be welded on this belt grinder project and pressed on. Eventually I'll see if I can reduce the gas.

I wanted the bigger clear cup because it does help me see. I can be a bit further away so I can see the puddle better. Jody seems to really like them, I wanted to give it a try, I wasnít disappointed. I'm not a pro, so I'll take my handicaps of they help me along.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:05:31 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
Good question on argon cost.   Personally I go thru an 80 CF every 3-4 yrs which = maybe 2 times a year gluing something together. 
Used to be about $40 to swap out.   Last time I did it was more like  $75.
There was a big confloooglio awhile back about argon supply shortage but who knows.   
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

PJB

Tig welding
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
With those screened cups you can stick out quite far. Jody from welding tips and tricks really sells the technique. My gas is at 25 cfm.
I think you mean CFH on the flow rate.   Unless its a rocket propelled torch
I run 10-15 range usually
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:48:33 AM by PJB »
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

Carpenter84

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
Maybe I like my rocket propelled Tig torch?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.