Author Topic: Volstro Rotary Milling Head in case w/ accessories Completed set - $850 (Edison)  (Read 200 times)

woodchucker

Anyone interested in a

Volstro Rotary Milling Head in case w/ accessories Completed set [/size]In great condition, Looks like it been lightly used comes with all the accessories in the original case.Pick up in Edison NJ.

so how does this head work, does it rotate to be able to drill or mill in a circle?

[/color]
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

RayH

The head works by clamping to the quill of your mill (needs to be the right size or adaptable) and is driven by your spindle.
The linear offset of the cutter spindle from the mill spindle is variable. Also, the cutter spindle can be manually rotated around your quill by a worm gear.

With those two additional degrees of freedom you can cut radii without rotating your part and/or cut angular features without reorienting your part/vise.
Ray

woodchucker

The head works by clamping to the quill of your mill (needs to be the right size or adaptable) and is driven by your spindle.
The linear offset of the cutter spindle from the mill spindle is variable. Also, the cutter spindle can be manually rotated around your quill by a worm gear.

With those two additional degrees of freedom you can cut radii without rotating your part and/or cut angular features without reorienting your part/vise.

Can the spindle be automatically driven around the quill too?
I guess it can be a large boring attachment, or bolt hole cutter.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

RayH

I don't think it's intended to be power driven in the rotary or linear motion. Think small cutters and light cuts.
A very cool piece to have if you don't have access to CNC.
Ray

chips and more

It can do very intricate arc’s, radii and darting. BUT, your brain must be able to handle the task, LOL. Lots of hand coordination going on. Math too. Only for light duty work. I have two of them. Not used much. Hassle to set-up. Can replace a rotary table sometimes. But I avoid both, so understand, that’s my take. Someone else could love the thing. To my knowledge the Volstro RMH was made to fit the Bridgeport mill (in two quill sizes?). Volstro also made other accessories for the BP. The asking price seems high? Be aware that the Volstro RMH came in two generations of design…Dave