Author Topic: Cincinnati Bickford Super Service 28"  (Read 120 times)

gtermini

Cincinnati Bickford Super Service 28"
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Got a new drill over the holiday weekend. I have the same machine in 24" at work and absolutely love it. It is much more rigid than the Carlton radial for holes over 1". This came from a hoarder's junk pile. It was the last machine in the place and I don't believe it'd been wired up or used in over 30 yrs. Drill was sitting on a broken pallet jack and half buried in junk. 3 hours later it was loaded on the trailer. It is horribly top heavy and I had a few arse pucker moments as the trailer boards flexed and it tipped side to side. Worst part was getting it off the pallet jack and onto 4x4s to chain down. I'd guess weight at every bit of 3500 lbs. My 1/2 ton chain hoist stalled multiple times dragging it up and getting past the bumps with prybars. It reminded me why a trailer upgrade is on the shortlist.

MT4 spindle. 60-1000 rpm. 5-47 thou feed/rev. 7.5 HP. The only missing piece is the massive quill counterweight that should hang in the column.

Greyson

gtermini

Re: Cincinnati Bickford Super Service 28"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
Took Tuesday off to break the drill down to put in the conex for storage. It was 4" too tall to fit through the door.  >:( >:( >:(

Took a little heat 'n' beat to separate the motor shaft from the gearbox coupling. I'm sure it had been together 75 years. Everything else went relatively smooth, but still took most of the day working by myself. Rigging the head took a few tries to get right and I didn't want to drop it. The quill spline unworn section at the very top decided to fight me and not just slip off. Some love taps popped it through.

Motor nameplate, GIANT 7.5HP low speed motor. It has to be all of 400 lbs alone. Another fine General Motors Product.

I have the foam man coming on June 13th for spray foam, so I wasn't concerned with how it went in the conex. I am realizing 160 sq ft is going to fill up fast and I need an organizational plan before I start putting too much in. This thing alone would take up half the floor if not positioned for maximum storage density.

Greyson

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 10:31:27 AM »
 Nice find.

Reminds me of the big upright drill press dad drug home many years ago.  It was as big as yours.  Luckily, the top end of it was bolted on about four foot from the floor.  Dad brought it home one piece as a time in his old Toyota pickup.  Just the bottom half was a load for that little truck. It stood almost nine foot tall.  We rigged it up in the garage that only had a eight foot ceiling.  A foot of it straddled the ceiling joist.  And the way we got it back together, it's a wonder we didn't get killed!  Good old memories.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »
Took Tuesday off to break the drill down to put in the conex for storage. It was 4" too tall to fit through the door.  >:( >:( >:(

Took a little heat 'n' beat to separate the motor shaft from the gearbox coupling. I'm sure it had been together 75 years. Everything else went relatively smooth, but still took most of the day working by myself. Rigging the head took a few tries to get right and I didn't want to drop it. The quill spline unworn section at the very top decided to fight me and not just slip off. Some love taps popped it through.

Motor nameplate, GIANT 7.5HP low speed motor. It has to be all of 400 lbs alone. Another fine General Motors Product.

I have the foam man coming on June 13th for spray foam, so I wasn't concerned with how it went in the conex. I am realizing 160 sq ft is going to fill up fast and I need an organizational plan before I start putting too much in. This thing alone would take up half the floor if not positioned for maximum storage density.

Greyson

Make sure you get a thin coating with spray foam, too thick and it won't cure on the inside,and will gas of noxious fumes. Some people become sick as anything from it.
Temp , humidity and thickness, and the mix are the prime factors to getting a good spray, all should be in range to the product being sprayed. I avoided it even though it seems great, because there are so many bad players out there.  Read about some homes and businesses getting people sick from bad applications.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

gtermini

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
Hmm something to think about. I hadn't heard about anything like that with the foam before, but will head the warning. I know it's on par with paint hardener and super glue as far as the composition (moisture-cure, nasty to breath). I mostly don't care because I will never be in there for an extended period of time. I went with low bidder on 1" of foam. I had initially wanted 2", but it was 3X the price ($3k vs $1k) for the job. My goal is to eliminate condensation and seal it up. Here in western Oregon, we spend the whole winter at 95% humidity and within 5 degrees of dew point. I am going to run a panel heater and dehumidifier to try and keep it ~60 deg and 50-60% RH. I probably won't open the doors once all winter.

Greyson

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »
See this from a contractor themselves.
They detail some problems, of course they are the answer to all the problems...   Stuff can happen no matter who does the job.
https://www.retrofoamofmichigan.com/blog/spray-foam-insulation-problems

https://www.buildinggreen.com/blog/epa-raises-health-concerns-spray-foam-insulation
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:36:43 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts